shape
carat
color
clarity

Stressed over wedding photographer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks to IG''s suggestion, I decided to post this here too. It''s also in BWW.

Yes, I realize that there are WAY more important things in life to be stressed about but this one is keeping me up at night. We''ve looked at several photographers and have narrowed it down to two (I''ve posted about them before). Here''s the thing: Photographer A is significantly less expensive than photographer B (by $2000, if we compare the packages that we''d want from the latter with the standard flat fee of the former). Photographer B shoots photos for very well-known catalogs (and magazines I believe), while photographer A is pretty much beginning.

Here''s my dilemma: If we choose photgrapher A, we''d be saving a lot of money that could be used to help fund our honeymoon or other expenses (wedding related or not). I haven''t seen many wedding photos from this person but based on what I have seen, I wasn''t bowled over. Photographer B is really what we''re looking for stylistically. He''s perfect...except for the amount of $ we''d have to shell out to have him. The other one''s pics, I thought "eh...nice but not fantastic."

I keep hearing how the photos will last forever and the one thing you should splurge on is the photographer. People say that now but how often do people look at their album years down the road? Is it really worth it to spend the big bucks? Everyone I''ve talked to doesn''t understand why I''d even think about spending so much money. Really, is all you need that one GREAT shot?

What to do, what to do. No, really, what would you do?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Laides, we were saying, over in BWW, that it might make sense to ask some of the longer married ladies how often they look at their pictures, and if they could "do it all over" if they would have poured lots of money into photography.

I want to know too! i''m also torn about spending a lot on pictures.

So? I want to know what you would do tooooo!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe,

I''d just take a step back and look at the grand scheme of things. If you''re not happy with an amateur photographer, but would rather spend the extra money on your honey moon, then I would ditch BOTH photographers and find one that was within a better price range. To me, an extra 2 grand means I could finish paying off my car, buy new furniture, have enough for my IRA next year...

There are so many photographers out there, there''s really no reason why you should have to stress out about that decision.

Unless you''re in a time crunch, I''d say: keep looking.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2007 11:20:38 PM
Author:zoebartlett

I keep hearing how the photos will last forever and the one thing you should splurge on is the photographer. People say that now but how often do people look at their album years down the road? Is it really worth it to spend the big bucks? Everyone I''ve talked to doesn''t understand why I''d even think about spending so much money. Really, is all you need that one GREAT shot?

What to do, what to do. No, really, what would you do?
I think the answer to this question really depends on how much importance YOU put on photographs?

I''m VERY into photography, and I look at pictures all the time. Photographs have a place of importance in my life, so it didn''t make sense for me to cut corners there. OTOH, there are those folks who aren''t really ''photo-philes'' and don''t even look often at pictures. Maybe they would make a different choice than I would.

I can only give you my experience. I see pictures from my wedding every single day because there are several hanging in my house. Further, in the 12 months I''ve had the full album, I''ve looked through it at least half a dozen times.

There are few days in your life that will be as important as your wedding day, and once that day has passed--when all the food has been eaten, the dances danced, and the toasts toasted--the only thing you''ll have is your memories and the pictures. Memories can fade, but pictures don''t.

By the way, I had an incredibly small wedding, so we had to be creative in working with our photographer. I found the person I wanted and explained in detail that I didn''t need her for six hours of a reception (we did a harbor cruise reception instead, so no dancing, etc). She was more than willing to work within our circumstances. I''d rather have 3 hours of PHENOMINAL coverage and amazing pictures than 8 hours of mediocre coverage and lackluster, unmoving pictures.

I''d try to get creative here with your Photographer B and work out a plan within your budget.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve shot a few weddings myself way back when and in my opinion if you can afford it get the more experienced one.
A beginner is kewl if its all you can afford but there are no do overs what they shoot that day is what you get and that''s that.
That is why an experienced photog can charge more because they have a track record of delivering.
Some do it better than others so you have too check them out carefully which you have done.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i ditto alj's comments and feel much the same way.

we found a wonderful photographer up front after a bit of research and then he ended up coming to hawaii with us and gave us a great deal for doing it...he was just getting started out business wise, but had been doing the photography thing for years....we got a fabulous deal at the right time and he was wonderful.

we blew up a bunch of his photos and have them hanging around the house, many of them were more artistic and not even weddingy (aka a lone palm tree standing above the ocean, a bunch of the fun colored drink umbrellas laying in a box on the table) so i had them framed in black thin frames with simplistic white mats. we ended up paying about $2k for it all and when all was said and done and the wedding came and went, the package he ended up giving us was probably worth double that, esp since his business (with 2 partners) had HUGELY taken off at that point (a year from our booking him til our wedding) and he is much more expensive now. so anyway...we paid what for us was doable as i did not want to spend almost double for the more expensive photographers.

but we negotiated a great package since our wedding was more unique with destination and gave him that chance to build his portfolio even further...and we totally don't regret it at all. i LOVE photography and it's very important to me, i take my own photos and am very particular about things. i can recall a specific feeling that day or the weather at that moment or whatever just by seeing a wonderful picture...and i would not hold back on the wedding pictures. we actually didn't get a videographer because it would have been at least another $1500 and i would have rather spent the extra on the photos if i had to...i didn't have to but i would have. a friend videographed the wedding itself and that is all i wanted for that aspect, the photos were more important to me long term. and i look at our pictures all the time and made various albums of them myself...not just of my photographer's photos but ones friends and family took too.

based on what you said...what about photographer C? that is...the one you haven't found yet. i don't like the idea of overpaying for a really expensive 'well known' photographer or one that is cheaper that you don't really like the work of. there has to be an alternate option??? someone kind of in the middle or someone who is more starting out but has a style you like better. there are so many photographers out there, do online research and find them..!!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I agree -- keep looking! You really shouldn''t have to compromise. You should be able to find a photographer in your budget whose work you like.

I don''t look at our wedding pictures OFTEN, but my kids will get them eventually, so our grandchildren will see them (hopefully). I love the photos of my mother''s parents and aunts and uncles. She even had a picture of her grandparents. They were so interesting because you could see the signs of their era -- the clothes, the house (and out house, LOL!). She doesn''t have any wedding photos, though, and I really wish she did. It''s a legacy, and where I don''t think you should break the bank, I do think you should bear in mind that, as Strm said, there are no do overs. Definitely get someone good. I think you would regret not having good photos, and though many years from now you aren''t going to be pulling out the album every other day, you will be for quite a while after you first get married. You will be showing them at work, possibly, to friends and family. You want them to be good.

Ahhhhh, the joys of wedding planning! Right now you probably just wish it were done and you were married. Right after the wedding you may wish you could do it again. (At least the wedding day itself, LOL!)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for offering your thoughts. I''ve searched the web and called two big universities nearby, looking for the right person. I keep coming back to the same photographer. Not only do I have notes and websites for photographers A and B (and we have met with them both), I also have info. and have talked to photographers C-Z, it seems.
1.gif
I looked on different associations'' websites for info as well, and it seems that the pricing ranges from $2300-4000, and that doesn''t include the add-ons. I love how a photographer''s price of $2500, for example, is really over $3500, once you pay for an album, engagement session, tax, and/or other things. This area is crazy expensive! I suppose we could skip the engagement session to save money but we''re thinking that we''d like to have professional photos of us and it would be good to get to know the photographer before the wedding. We''d get to see his or her style in action, and it would kind of be like a pratice session before the wedding. We also thought of not getting an album and just keeping proofs and/or making our own album from the online gallery. I really think thought that a pro could do a way better job at putting together an album than we could do ourselves.

I NEVER splurge on myself and I thought I could justify spending the money for the more expensive one if I looked at it as a wedding gift to us both. While we''re not out and about with our camera taking pics too often, we do appreciate great photography. We know what we like and what we don''t.

We''re not in a huge time crunch but I''d like to get this settled ASAP and move onto other areas of planning. People tend to book up fast and we don''t want to miss out on someone.

One charges $900 and the other one charges $2500. The first one includes an engagement session and I''m not sure about an album. Adding on an engagement session and an album with the second one, it comes to $3300 I believe.

Again, I really appreciate everyone taking the time to write your opinions. I''ll give it more thought.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Zoe,

I really think this is such a personal decision.

I am on a tight budget and photography was just one of those things that was way out of my budget. After calling the ARt Institute I met the girl who is now my photographer. I have yet to post more pictures from the engagement session...but they are awesome! everyone that has looked at them loves them. She truly did a great job!. I am paying less than half of what most girls on my area are (based on a poll on my local board on the knot). Most girls are paying well over 3K and I paid $1200. I don''t think you could see their pictures side by side with mine and pick out the more expensive photographer. I don''t regret my decision one second, but it was kind of scary until I got my e-pics back!....so it is sort of a risk you''re taking.

Could you keep looking around?.

My photographer didn''t have many samples to show us and her wesbite is just ok...but when I met her we got along great and she seemed so flexible. There was some chemistry there and that was important to me.

Good luck!!!

M~

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
How important are the photos to you and your soon-to-be husband? I''ve been married 2 years and look at my album at least a few times a month and I''m glad we had a wonderful photographer. We had a wedding on a budget and had to cut on other expenses so we could have the pics we wanted. It all really comes down to what is important to you and your husband.

Jess

orangemonster

Rough_Rock
When hubby and I got married, we chose not to have a videographer, therefore the photographer was VERY important to us. We interviewed quite a few and found we really ''clicked'' with on particular one. She was EVERYTHING we wanted - and her pictures were just perfect for us. Definitely try to get a happy medium... a great photographer with the style you want and within the budget range you can afford. Personality is also VERY important... do you want an unobtrusive photographer... a bold one? a take charge one? These are all things to consider but DO make sure you view more than a few pictures from their portfolio. GOOD LUCK!
9.gif

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
I would go with the better photographer. Back when I got married, about 15 years ago, we ended up spending way more on a photographer than I expected, about 5k altogether including album, some enlargements, etc. Just last week we had some friends over and they were ooohing and aaahing over some of the enlargements hanging on the walls. We don''t really look at the album, but we do love the enlargements and see them every day.

As a bit of a postscript, a few years after the wedding I tracked down the photographer for another enlargement. In those few years her rate had shot up to 10k! We lost touch, and I still regret not getting the negatives from her at some point.

I should mention though that we''re both very into photography. We have lots of photos hanging all over the house. Many people aren''t that in to it - they prefer paintings or other artwork. So if you''re not crazy about photos in general, then you should save the money and go with a cheaper photographer. Also, photographs aside, it''s very important to make sure that your personalities mesh with the photographer. Make sure they don''t have any objections to guests taking their own photos, check their timetables for when and how you''ll be posing, etc. You don''t want to spend hours in front of the camera while guests are waiting at the reception. A professional with experience will make things quick and easy, and will be mostly invisible during the actual ceremony and reception.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results