shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

killborn

Rough_Rock
Hey folks,

I have a few stones in the San Fran Bay area that I am looking for advice with. Can I sell them? should I send them to the GIA. I have had them at an appraiser, but she could not give an educated appraisal on the specific regions of the stones (She had never heard of a Pansjhir emerald). She did however confirm that all are the real thing.

I have a

4,5ct Pansjhir emerald (square emerald cut)
2,7ct Burma Ruby (Baguette cut)
2,95ct Yellow/Orange Spahire (oval brialliant cut)
1,55ct Blue Saphire (very pretty oval brilliant cut)

I have tried taking decent pics of these,but just cant get nice close ups.

What can I do to get a decent price for these without getting done over?

Look forward to some advice.

M

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
To get a fair price, you should get them examined by an reputable gem lab with the equipment to determine if they are treated, etc. . . You mention you have a Burma ruby, but is it clean, untreated, a good color, is it really Burmese? Those factors alone can indicate if a ruby is $10/ct or $50,000/ct. Your appraiser does not sound like she has the equipment or the knowlege about coloured gems to do the concise testing you need to get the true value. If you want to sell the stones for a fair price, and you suspect they are valuable, you need to invest in a lab report from a reputable gem lab, and from there, an appraisal by a knowlegable gemologist appraiser.

Of course, just because something may appraise to $50,000/ct is absolutely no guarantee you will get that for your stone. Most appraisals are done for insurance purposes, for replacement value.

killborn

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the advice. I will send these stones off and see what happens!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGTA specializes in colored gemstones so if I had something that I thought was valuable, that''s where I''d send it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results