shape
carat
color
clarity

Shower theme

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies,
For your shower''s, have there been a theme? For those who had input on the shower, did you suggest a theme? I ask b/c my mom is planning mine and is very open to my input. So I''ve been reading up on shower''s a bit, since I''ve never been to one and really don''t quite know what we''ll do and came across many theme suggestions.
Also, will you have shower games? I know that my mom won''t do much planning other than food and guests so I wonder if I should help to coordinate some activities. I''m not a huge fan of games but thought one or two to keep things moving might be good.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
My aunt is throwing me a shower, a personal shower. You know, undies, robes, lotions... I actually chose this kind because FMIL is also throwing me a shower, and I figure hers will be more "couples and home" gifts. Also, I''m not getting a bachelorette party, so all my risque gifts will have to be from my shower!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did not have any input in my showers (besides what day worked best). Both didn''t have a theme but the first decorated in my wedding colors. It was causal and we played a few games. I think one was a word scramble. One was how well I knew my DH. Finger food and punch was served. Very relaxed. My second was at a cool little restaurant. My aunt put together a cool game. There where all these kitchen gagets and we had to guess what each one was for (harder than you would think). She writes cookbooks so there were some odd things I had never seen in there.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had no input either. My aunts gave me a shower at a cool little tea cottage place in Downers Grove, it was really cute. Apparently everyone was supposed to wear a hat and dress up for a tea party, some of the guests really got into it and went all out wearing lace dresses and beautiful wide brimmed hats, and some guests just wore a nice dress sans hat. My SIL''s gave me one also, but there was no theme. One SIL hosted it at her townhouse and she just used colors that went with her decor, everything in her house is white with primary color furniture and accessories, so those were the colors of the cake and plates, etc. No games at either one, though, which didn''t bother me one bit, lol!

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
I stuck my nose in when I heard my sister suggest having it at a restaurant. I very much wanted a home shower, relaxed, on the deck,etc.
Luckily my best friend was dying to host, so voila! She has a huge deck, part of it''s screened in, and lots of parking, and was a frustrated Martha Stewart (i.e. loves to entertain)

THey asked my input on the general overall feel, and I wanted casual, small, and a fun "summery" feel.
We''re having bright colors and blender drinks,

and probably an embarrassing game or two.

I''m just looking forward to a margarita on the deck with my gals!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Mine isn''t really having a theme, but my mom chose to throw it at a yacht club on the ocean under a tent, so she made up the invitations and is making the centerpieces in an ocean theme. Gift wise there''s no theme, I don''t think at least haha

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the help everyone! I decided to just let my mom do whatever she pleases and not get involved. I really don''t want to be involved but she asks me questions. I mentioned to her that perhaps my brother''s fiance can help in the planning, since my mom asked her to help anyway.

Here''s another question. Do you give gifts for the shower and the wedding? One reason I was unsure of having a shower b/c it seemed odd to have someone give 2 gifts. Just wondering...

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, that is customary, although I usually do a shower gift off of the registry and cash for the wedding,
unless I know them really well and find some non-registry thing I know they''d love.
For one of my friends I bought them a free-standing basketball hoop and she says to this day it''s the best wedding gift they got! (well, at least the one they use the most!)

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 10:31:16 PM
Author: monarch64
I had no input either. My aunts gave me a shower at a cool little tea cottage place in Downers Grove, it was really cute. Apparently everyone was supposed to wear a hat and dress up for a tea party, some of the guests really got into it and went all out wearing lace dresses and beautiful wide brimmed hats, and some guests just wore a nice dress sans hat. My SIL''s gave me one also, but there was no theme. One SIL hosted it at her townhouse and she just used colors that went with her decor, everything in her house is white with primary color furniture and accessories, so those were the colors of the cake and plates, etc. No games at either one, though, which didn''t bother me one bit, lol!

Completely off-topic, but I was born in Downers Grove (our house was in Lombard, though).
37.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2007 9:21:32 PM
Author: ladyciel

Date: 7/2/2007 10:31:16 PM
Author: monarch64

Completely off-topic, but I was born in Downers Grove (our house was in Lombard, though).
37.gif
wow! small world, isn''t it? I''m not from Chicagoland originally, but my DH grew up in La Grange Park. I love the DG area, as well as Lombard (love me some Yorktown Mall!)

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 8:17:15 PM
Author: labbielove
Yes, that is customary, although I usually do a shower gift off of the registry and cash for the wedding, unless I know them really well and find some non-registry thing I know they''d love.
For one of my friends I bought them a free-standing basketball hoop and she says to this day it''s the best wedding gift they got! (well, at least the one they use the most!)

Labbie, thanks! I wasn''t quite sure about this. I spoke to my step-mother today and she seems to know a bit about throwing showers so she''s going to help my mom a bit. I am getting more excited about the shower!

That sounds like a neat gift that you got your friend. Although I registered for stuff, I''m kind of excited about the gifts that aren''t on any list. But I love gifts of any kind!!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 12:31:12 AM
Author: dixie94

Date: 7/3/2007 8:17:15 PM
Author: labbielove
Yes, that is customary, although I usually do a shower gift off of the registry and cash for the wedding, unless I know them really well and find some non-registry thing I know they''d love.

Labbie, thanks! I wasn''t quite sure about this. I spoke to my step-mother today and she seems to know a bit about throwing showers so she''s going to help my mom a bit. I am getting more excited about the shower!

That sounds like a neat gift that you got your friend. Although I registered for stuff, I''m kind of excited about the gifts that aren''t on any list. But I love gifts of any kind!!
I registered at a few diff places and we really were fortunate to receive what we asked for...........except one gift so far at our shower last week......a friend of FI''s got us a Pottery Barn "I Do" silver frame (and a generous giftcard) and I was so excited. It''s definitely a keeper!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results