shape
carat
color
clarity

.64 and .70 ct. stones?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would they be too far apart in size to bezel for a pair of earrings? I only have the measurement on one of the stones. It's 5.21x5.22x3.5. The other stone is currently in a ring, so I can't really get it's measurements. Thoughts? TIA!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
That's awfully close in terms of carat weight, but I'd want an appraiser or gemologist to take a look at the set stone to make sure it's a good match for the unset stone.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks rubybeth, that's what I figured. The seller (eBay) doesn't have a return policy, though I did send him a message, asking if he'd consider making an exception so that I could take both stones to my jeweler. I'm awaiting a response. If he says no, I'm not sure I can risk the purchase not knowing how well it will work with the stone I already have. :errrr:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You don't need to take them to a jeweler, have the seller use calipers to measure the stone in 2-3 places around its circumphrence. I'd think within .10mm to .20mm would be ok.

But I would not buy a diamond without a return policy so its sort of moot.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Are they old cuts? I have .36 and .42 milgrain bezel studs and the difference is minimal. I think there is a 2/10ths mm diff in them but old cuts are tricky to measure. The most important thing was finding a match with a close facet pattern match.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
My stones have a difference of .03ct and I can't notice it. I'd guess you could double it and still not see it (especially when worn). But it does come down to the mm.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the carat weight will matter much, but the pattern and mm size will.

I'm looking at an ebay stone as well and the seller and I messages a couple of times, but no returns. It's an inexpensive stone, but not worth the risk imo. She wouldn't even agree to have it sent directly to an appraiser, she's concerned about the stone getting swapped she said.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are both OEC's. The color/clarity and facet pattern match up well. The one stone that's in a ring can't really be measured, that's the problem. I think that I'm going to go for it! :naughty:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yenny - when I was matching my current earrings I bought a couple of loose stones and a couple of stones set in rings. All told I think I went through 6 stones to get the match I wanted. I sold all the others, lost a tiny bit on a couple of them, made a tiny bit on the others. It was tough to find that elusive match and took a lot of searching but in the end I found them, saved money (but not time!) over buying them in the stores, and I broke even on all the stones I didn't keep.

If you think you've found the matches, then I think you should go for it! If they aren't perfect or exactly what you want - consider setting both right now and changing out one when you find it's match. I think I know one of the ones you're looking at and it's beautiful! I've considered it long and hard for myself, but really wanted to get 5.5mm - it's a mind thing :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results