shape
carat
color
clarity

How to tell a ring is platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hellofish

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody! I''m considering getting a setting for my diamond from a small kiosk in one of those large jewelery districts. One of the vendors quoted me a price for under $400 for a nice platinum ring that he would make. Isn''t that price a little too low? How can I tell that the ring is actually platinum, especially the crown? Does platinum always have "Plat" or "900" or "950" inscribed? If not, is there any other way to tell? Can an appraiser tell? Thanks, everybody!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
agree, suspiciously low.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm I don''t know, Whiteflash''s basic Tiffany setting runs at $400, granted it is sold with a diamond though.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's possible, but sounds suspiciously low to me. And remember, while real Platinum always has a stamp, all someone needs is a stamp that says PLAT to stamp a silver ring too.

If you decide to go with it make sure you can return it if it isn't what it's supposed to be and then spend the $100 and take it to an independent appraiser.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Platinum is fairly pricey stuff these days but if they aren’t using too much of it then they can stay within your budget. The crowns normally aren’t individually market but it’s not terribly difficult to test. I use one of these because they test electrically and therefore leave no marks on the piece but there are other approaches as well. Ask your appraiser when they are inspecting the piece if you have specific concerns and they don''t bring it up first.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinum is significantly heavier than gold - the weight of the ring is sometimes a clue. I paid $400 for a platinum solitaire setting 5 years ago....and it wasn''t custom. That is a pretty low price.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/10/2007 4:07:54 AM
Author:hellofish
Hello everybody! I''m considering getting a setting for my diamond from a small kiosk in one of those large jewelery districts. One of the vendors quoted me a price for under $400 for a nice platinum ring that he would make. Isn''t that price a little too low? How can I tell that the ring is actually platinum, especially the crown? Does platinum always have ''Plat'' or ''900'' or ''950'' inscribed? If not, is there any other way to tell? Can an appraiser tell? Thanks, everybody!
FWIW, my Plat stamp "disappeared" during the sizing and polishing process and it wasn''t restamped afterward. It happens. The jeweler will re-mark it if you ask.

-J

DBM

Shiny_Rock
if it''s thin enough it''s doable. Isn''t it funny how quoting too low can be an equal cause for a customer shying away as if quoting too high :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results