shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a recipe to share!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
So I hate cooking. I can''t cook a decent meal to seduce any person. I can''t cook a decent meal to save my life. BUT, I mastered the art of making banoffee pie!!!

What''s that, you ask? Well, the Brits on this board would know. It''s a pie with toffee, bananas, and cream and it''s DIVINE. Ate it for the first time when I was in London, and it was soooo yummy that I had to look up the recipe, because no place here sells it. Well, the original version is made with digestive biscuits, but since I have no idea what they are, I''m sticking with the premade pie crust.

You can make toffee by either a) boiling condensed milk in the can, but you risk the can exploding; or b) pouring the condensed milk into a pie pan, add a generous pinch of salt, cover with foil, put in a pan of water and bake in 475 degree oven for about two hours, or until it turns a golden brown.

Then cool the toffee in the fridge for about an hour, layer it onto the pie crust, add sliced bananas, top with whipped cream and voila! Instant, heavenly, non-guilt-free dessert!!!

I made it and burned myself. Only I can do that with a pie that doesn''t require baking.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Cinderella,

My mother will love this recipe!!!

I have read it numerous times, and would you help me understand the toffee part? Do I understand that the baked sweetened condensed milk becomes the toffee? (all it is in milk and a pinch or so of salt?) And do you bake it in the oven...in anything? Not necessarily a pie pan? I understand the BainMarie part.

Then once you have baked the milk...you refrigerate it...then it is a pudding like texture that you mound into a prepared pie shell? Can you use grahamn cracker crust?

It was the baking in the pie pan and then putting it in a pie shell that confused me. Do you think it would be good with a meringue topping or do you recommend staying with the whipped cream? I think I would drizzle caramel sauce over the top with a liberal hand. Make that thing just shine!

My mother makes a lemon meringue pie that is made with condensed milk. Oh my, that stuff is HEAVENLY. I am sure this one is DIVINE as you say.

Thanks for the recipe.
18.gif

DKS

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
yumm, that sounds so good! I''ll have to try it next time I''m cooking
1.gif
Thanks for sharing!

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Whoops, I went MIA again for a bit and didn''t see your response until today solitaire.

The baked, sweetened condensed milk does turn into toffee over time. Milk and a generous pinch of salt. You pour the milk into a pie pan (not sure if you could use anything else, to be safe, use the pie pan).

You refrigerate it, and yes, the texture gets pudding and you spread it onto a pie shell. I used a graham cracker crust, and although it was tricky trying to get it on without the shell crumbling, I managed to because I didn''t chill the toffee all the way.

It actually sounds really good with meringue topping, I love lemon meringue pie myself, and YUM.

And happy to share the recipe, figured it was about time I contributed something useful.
9.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update. Mother has asked me daily if I have a reply from you...this will be her "LUCKY" day!!! Thanks for the fun recipe.

I don''t know about the useful posting part you are always right in the mix of the community.
2.gif

I would like to add your current avatar has always added to my board experience. That little face is a scoop me up in both hands and kiss me rare critter. I smile everytime I see it. Posiitve? Yes indeed.

DKS
35.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Hey Cinderella,

Mom had more questions...she asked if that temp of 475 is accurate? For 2 hours? Does the milk really cook down in volume? So would two cans make a more generous filling?

Now aren''t you glad you don''t post many recipes? I mean, how many questions can one recipe have to address? I am almost asking you to just bake me one! I told her to just bake the milk and see for herself. "Well that can is over $2.50 I can''t do that..." ......yes mom, I will ask her for you!
37.gif

DKS

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha...

Yes, 475 degrees. Let me see if I can find the link to the recipe I used.

Ah....found it. Here you go:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/231392

I wound up using more than three bananas to counterbalance the extreme sweetness of the toffee. Good luck, and I hope your mom loves this recipe!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Whew thanks Cindy...mom can quit pacing the floor!

I really enjoyed reading the reviews and added suggestions on that site. I am going to try it myself. We don''t do sugar...but golly gee whiz this sounds wonderfully deliteful.

Thanks again for all your effort!

DKS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results