shape
carat
color
clarity

60/60 or super ideal online?

Redsparrow

Rough_Rock
Hi Psers,

I need advice, I have a B&M that is offering this GIA XXX 60/60 stone. HCA is 1.6. Would this be a wise choice compared to an ACA or HPD? Besides idesacope/ aset, how can I tell that it is super ideal?

Also, I've been diamond searching for awhile... and the price of this diamond with bigger size 2.2 is comparable to a 2.05 of some online vendors.

Cut Advisor Score 1.6
Light Return:
Excellent
Fire:
Very Good
Scintillation:
Very Good
Spread:
Very Good

ROUND BRILLIANT
Measurements
8.38 - 8.42 x 5.07 mm
Carat Weight
2.21 carat
Color Grade
F
Clarity Grade
SI1
Cut Grade
Excellent
PROPORTIONS
Depth
60.4 %
Table
60 %
Crown Angle
34.0°
Crown Height
13.5%
Pavilion Angle
40.8°
Pavilion Depth
43.0%
Star Length
50%
Lower Half
80%
Girdle
Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 4.0%
Culet
None

CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS
Crystal, Cloud, Feather, Needle, Indented Natural

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be a nice stone but it is not a super ideal cut stone. You are comparing two different cuts so not an apples to apples comparison.

Can you get any idealscope or ASET images of the stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be a nice stone but it is not a super ideal cut stone. You are comparing two different cuts so not an apples to apples comparison.

This. 60/60 isn't super ideal. If you want super ideal cut, stick with ACA/CBI, etc.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are not sure what a SuperIdeal performs like, or if you would prefer it to a 60/60 stone, you could order a SuperIdeal that meets your preferred criteria and budget from one of the PS-recommended vendors and then take it to your local B&M to do a side-by-side comparison, safe in the knowledge that you would have an excellent Returns policy to use if you decide you prefer the local offering over the superideal.

Redsparrow

Rough_Rock

I could def try to request for one, the only photos i have are of the diamond plot which I am also not sure about regards to an indented natural

Key To Symbols
Crystal
Cloud
Feather
Needle
Indented Natural

Victor Canera

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Redsparrow,

A 60/60 stone does have a different visual from a typical ideal cut. I definitely think you should take a look at the two types side by side before making a decision. At 2.2ct I think the difference would be noticeable to the naked eye. Typical super ideal stones have a different design strategy than 60/60 stones. Some major criteria like 54-58 Tables, 60-62 Depth specific Crown and Pavilion angles, Shallower Lower Girdle Facets, and other attributes (while making the facets work together in 3d space) is how us in the biz design our diamonds.

Also, I wasn’t clear as to whether you’ve seen the diamond’s photos? I wouldn’t recommend purchasing a stone, especially an Si1 without taking a look at photos to see what the Si1 looks like. Keep in mind though that the plots almost always end up making the inclusions look worse than they are in real life. That plot could of a nice Si1 stone. Typically Si1s that have one large clarity setting inclusions are the ones to watch out for.

If you go into this with all the relevant information, you’ll feel much better about your decision at the end of the day :)

Good luck!

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This stone could very well be in real life a great performer, we don't know. HOWEVER, with that said, I formerly owned a 60/60 type stone and I just did not care for the visual. I really, really did not like the look of the large table. You are already considering a 2 carat plus diamond. It will be large enough... you don't need to go for a large table just to squeak out a little more size because that will be at a cost of losing the colored light (fire).

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
My initial reaction to your thread title was “that’s a no-brainer” but that’s not completely true, lol.

Some people do prefer the white light return and spread of a 60/60 diamond and some can have excellent light performance. However, I would expect that most people prefer the performance of a super-ideal since they are likely to have more fire (coloured light return). No one can speak for you though, so it is excellent advice compare in person, if it’s possible.

This article is obviously not from a neutral source, but it tells where the 60/60 idea came from:

https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/60-60-diamonds-1503.htm

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a personal decision. I would need to see both stones IRL and ideally would wear them both for a while to see which I prefer in daily life.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Just got my 60/60, I’m in love. I actually returned a ACA H&A that I was a little underwhelmed with (it was still really pretty though ) 25BF65CC-2637-4EB3-9DC7-D9477A8DAD49.jpeg

It is cool the way diamonds kind of “speak” to us personally ... I returned a 60/60 that I kind of loved, and the last ACA I had, I did not love at all ... and the ACA I have now, I absolutely adore, lol. That was how I realized what a disadvantage it is not to shop in person ... at the same time, I would have a hard time finding a diamond like the one I have now in any of the shops where I live.

Again this is the take-away for the OP ... it’s all a matter of personal taste, given a good ASET image.

Redsparrow

Rough_Rock
It is cool the way diamonds kind of “speak” to us personally ... I returned a 60/60 that I kind of loved, and the last ACA I had, I did not love at all ... and the ACA I have now, I absolutely adore, lol. That was how I realized what a disadvantage it is not to shop in person ... at the same time, I would have a hard time finding a diamond like the one I have now in any of the shops where I live.

Again this is the take-away for the OP ... it’s all a matter of personal taste, given a good ASET image.

What a beauty!! Do you mind sharing the specs of this?

JT123

Shiny_Rock

I agree 100%!Living in Bay Area I'm fortunate I can visit PS worthy vendors where I can see diamonds IRL. I like @OoohShiny suggestion of buying the diamond online so he can compare it to the 60/60. :razz:

JT123

Shiny_Rock
What a beauty!! Do you mind sharing the specs of this?
Sure, GIA triple ex 1.75 ,H color, SI,depth 60.9, table 60,fluorescene none, girdle med to slightly thick, crown angle 33%,pavilion angle 41.2%,cutlet none. Paid $12,920 at B&M (little bit of discount for paying all cash).
Lots of sparkle/scintillation. I looked at sooo many diamonds and this was my favorite by far!
Here's some info re 60/60 https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/60-60-proportioned-diamond Good luck!!

Redsparrow

Rough_Rock
Sure, GIA triple ex 1.75 ,H color, SI,depth 60.9, table 60,fluorescene none, girdle med to slightly thick, crown angle 33%,pavilion angle 41.2%,cutlet none. Paid $12,920 at B&M (little bit of discount for paying all cash).
Lots of sparkle/scintillation. I looked at sooo many diamonds and this was my favorite by far!
Here's some info re 60/60 https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/60-60-proportioned-diamond Good luck!!

WOW that is a great find you have! Thank you for all that info n help :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results