shape
carat
color
clarity

6 prongs setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kathy

Rough_Rock
What is the average cost on a 6 prongs settings (platinum, 18k , or 14k white gold)? I have been shopping arround in a few local jewelry store (which would allowed me to observe the setting process) and was quoted the price from $500.0 to $750.00 (platinum settings). I currently have my 1.331 round diamond set into a 18k white gold bezel and would like to reset it in a 6 prongs settings so it would match with my earrings along with my future engagement ring (2+ carat round diamond set in a 6 prongs tiffany style). Would it make a big difference is price along with duration in platinum vs. 18k? Thank you in advance for all your responses.

Hi Kathy!Indulge yourself and choose whatever you like most! If you like to know you´re getting the durability and quality of platinum, and don´t mind paying a few hundred more, then it´s worth it. But if all you want is to change the look of your diamond, and hesitate to pay so much, then a white gold 6 prong setting can do the trick, too! It will look beautiful both ways!

Kathy

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Is the price range I have mentioned above reasonable?

gem-n-i

Rough_Rock
starlightdiamonds.com-i just bought a platinum setting and wedding band (first time i have owned platinum) and i am curious- what are these "tricks" that some jewelers use to fool you into thinking something is platinum when it is not? can they just stamp it platinum even though it is not? i was also wondering, can some other metal be "platinum plated" so it tests platinum on the outside but it is not 90-95% platinum?

Hi Kathy!Yes, it sounds reasonable. Platinum is very expensive, and prices fluctuate greatly, too. $500 dlls. for a platinum 6 prong setting seems quite OK to pay to me. But verify that it is PLATINUM stamped, since some jewelry stores use little "tricks" to make you feel like you are buying platinum and instead they are giving you coated gold. I trust this is not the case! However, it never hurts to check! Platinum will last longer, and will "protect" your stone better, so do go ahead and indluge! =)

moediamond

Rough_Rock
HI Kathy,I always recommend ONLY 950 Platinum. Never buy less than 950 Platinum.
You do not want more impurities than you need.
950 Platinum typically consists of 95% Pure Platinum and 5% Iridium.
Unlike 18K Gold, or 750, too many impurities cause the metal to oxidize. Therefore losing its luster and shine very quickly- needing constant polishing.
As far as testing the ring, you need to find a local "refiner" company (look it up under jewelry-refiner in yellow pages). They can test the purity of gold and platinum- ususally at no charge.
Any store that uses Tricks e.g. stamping Platinum on a 18K white gold ring need to be reported to the attorney general.
Basically, weight separates platinum from gold- platinum is much heavier.As far as price, you need to determine its width (3mm, 4mm, etc..) as well as finger size to get an accurate price.
Tiffany styles are typically 2 to 2.5mm in width and are knife-edged.
For example, 14K white gold top and 14K yellow gold Tiffany ring goes for around $65.

Kathy

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your replies! I think I forgot to mention that the 1.331 round diamond which is set in a 18kt white gold bezel is a necklace, not a ring. So would $500.00 resetting in 6 prongs still be reasonable? Thank you!!!!!

Hi gem-n-i!
I read that some jewelry stores dipped their white gold heads in Rhodium to make them appear like platinum! However, if it is stamped PT, then it has to be platinum, at least a certain amount of it. Here´s something that might help from the FTC approved markings for platinum;950 parts or more per thousand of pure platinum can be marked "Platinum" without the use of any qualifying statements;
850 to 950 parts per thousand can be marked in accordance with international standards of "950 Plat." or "950 PT.," "900 Plat."or "900 PT.,"
"850 Plat." or "850 PT." (the revised guide permits the use of a two or four letter abbreviation for platinum);
500 parts per thousand of pure platinum and at least 950 parts per thousand platinum group metals can be marked with the parts per thousand of pure platinum, followed by the parts per thousand of each platinum group metal (example: "600Plat.350Irid." or "600Pt.350Ir."; and
less than 500 parts per thousand pure platinum cannot be marked with the word platinum or any abbreviation thereof. So if it´s stamped PT and this is a respected business following the FTC guidelines, then you got platinum!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results