shape
carat
color
clarity

6 prong vs. 4 prong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missmg9

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I''m new to this forum, but I''m helping my boyfriend pick out an engagement ring. Needless to say, I am VERY excited! I think we''re going to make it custom (we fortunately know a jeweler who is willing to help us). I know generally what I like - a matching wedding set of eternity style .05 diamonds all the way around, and on the e-ring I just want a 1.25 round cut, but I can''t decide - 4 prong or 6 prong setting?

Will you all show me your settings and help me decide? There are so many beautiful rings on this site. You are all so helpful! Thanks in advance. I can''t wait to see beautiful pics...

angeline

Ideal_Rock
HI there and welcome!
35.gif

Have a look at the thread at the top of this forum, the ''Forum Engagement Ring Folder/Eye Candy''.

Its got about 102 pages of all the PS rings! You will find LOTS of pretty pics in there to help you out!

a

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I vote for 6 prongs. It keeps the diamond looking round and is safer than 4. With a 1.25 diamond, 6 prongs won't overpower the stone. Here's a picture of my 1.23 solitaire. I wear it was my eternity band with 3 pointers (my avatar).

1.23.CD7.jpg

amy_dub

Shiny_Rock
I vote 4 prongs because I personally do not like 6 prongs, double prongs, or fishtail prongs. But I really think it''s a matter of personal preferences. The only way you''ll ever decide is to go into a store and try both on. It doesn''t have to be a store you actually plan to buy from, but it will give you a good idea of how they will look on your hand, plus it''s an excuse to try on rings! Like Snlee said, 6 pongs can be over powering, but with a stone that size they shouldn''t, unless they are extremely thick prongs.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
IMO, 4 prongs can tend to make a round look squarish in certain settings, and depending on the size of the stone...and that's not necessarily a bad thing. OTOH, 4 prongs, if delicate, are less obtrusive in the overall setting and look of the set stone. 6 prongs can enhance the roundness of a round stone, but if not done delicately, can also be more obtrusive in the overall look of the stone. That's just my personal opinion based on what I like.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is such a personal thing. I used to prefer 4 prong but recently I have fallen in love with 6 prongs. Have you tried some on to see what *you* like?

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 9:24:22 PM
Author: surfgirl
IMO, 4 prongs can tend to make a round look squarish in certain settings, and depending on the size of the stone...and that''s not necessarily a bad thing. OTOH, 4 prongs, if delicate, are less obtrusive in the overall setting and look of the set stone. 6 prongs can enhance the roundness of a round stone, but if not done delicately, can also be more obtrusive in the overall look of the stone. That''s just my personal opinion based on what I like.
Ditto to this. I have seen many beautiful 6-prong rings on Pricescope, but personally I prefer 4-prong for the reasons cited above. I actually like that it can make the round stone more ''square'' looking, and I like that you get more of a side-view of the diamond than you do with a 6-prong.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a pic of my 4-prong, 1.20 carat...

I like 4 prongs better because it shows more of the diamond....

Ring_007_fix1.jpg

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Here''s another pic...

Ring_014_fix.jpg

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I agree with grapegravity! I love four prongs because I feel they show more of the diamond....mine for the time being is going to be a six prong (my avatar...) my boyfriend just got the ring today...and I have to wait about a week to see it...but he says that it looks really big....so we''ll see...but my vote is def. 4 prongs!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
A six prong setting...the prongs are very delicate and show a lot of the diamond. I threw in a little fire, too
2.gif

hand shot 008 six prongs.jpg

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Here's a couple of my girls four prong. I agree with the others about four prongs "squaring" up the round.

PC040006%20paintnet.jpg

PC040078%20paintnet2.jpg

I really like the more open side profile of the four prong.

Having said that a look at snlee's ring shows how stunning a 6 prong can be!!
18.gif

If I could have gone to larger diamond ~1ct (this one is 0.56) we would have seriously looked at a 6 prong. If we had to look smaller, say .30, we would have looked at 6 prong again as the 4 prong feels a little heavy on the smaller stone.

*Edit*

Darn just re-read and saw you are looking at 1.25ct...would love to have your dilemma!

I think I would go 6 prong at that size. Again I would be worried about a four prong monstering the diamond with the necessary thickness to safely retain the diamond.

PC040001 paintnet.jpg

96TL

Shiny_Rock
I think both 4 or 6 prong can be beautiful if done properly.

This is my 4 prong (flat style) LM e-ring. I am proposing on X-Mas.
31.gif

LM - 123456.jpg

susi

Shiny_Rock
Just recently had this debate with myself on my remount. My stone has been in a 6 prong mount and for the same reasons as many of you I opted for 4 prongs this go 'round. Better view of stone and a squarish look from the top.

susi

Shiny_Rock
Here is a pic of my former mount with 6 prongs. It''s a Stuller Bombay mount in Palladium, and I think it''s the medium height head. I always called it a Sherman tank ( the mount, NOT the stone
2.gif
) ''cause I felt it could take any knock or hit and come out fine.

The stone is now in the process of being remounted...

Hof5.jpg

susi

Shiny_Rock
....side view of Stuller 6 prong.....

Hof6.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I know 4 prong can be beautiful and not bulky on a large diamond, because I think it's Lynn B who got a gorgeous reset with beautiful 4-prong. I'll see if I can attach a picture:

ETA: Couldn't find a top-down view, but her thread is here. Her stone is 2.36ct.

Lynn B crop.jpg

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I changed my 6 prong to a 4 prong and don't love it; the new head is too bulky and the prongs are too big. I want to change it back but it's only been 6 months so I'm waiting, hoping it grows on me. DH likes it better this way and I haven't told him I don't like it yet.

I think both can be beautiful, if done well and it's simply a matter of personal preference.

susi

Shiny_Rock
Here is another side view of the 6 prong Stuller....very secure but not much view of the stone from this angle.

1hof2a.jpg

susi

Shiny_Rock
Hand view of 6 prong....

1hof4a.jpg

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Can I be really contrary and say "neither"?

What I mean is: Have you considered looking at a bezel setting?

These kinds of settings can be made very thin, but they provide more protection for a stone than prongs. They've got a really great minimal, "the stone is the star" look that will never be dated and that will go with everything you wear. They look great with eternity bands. And, if you're planning on having kids or if you babysit/work with kids, a prongless setting is a bonus. My engagement ring when I was married was very high and 6-pronged with side stones, and I felt sooooooo horrible when I scratched my then-infant son with it. I also play softball and am very athletic, and I was constantly worried about dinging the ring when doing something sports-related and then going home to find that I lost a stone. That won't happen with a bezel.

An example is below.

Bridget in Connecticut.

bridget-bezel.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
SUSI..your ring is beautiful, may I ask what kind of setting you are currently remounting that gorgeous diamond in? I think the view from the side is exquisite with that stuller head! I find so much of my diamond shows with th 4 prongs, and set so high, that it gets dirty faster, than it would with more gold covering the stone. I guess when you have straight hair, you want curly hair, and when its curly, you want straight! LOL

susi

Shiny_Rock
beau13, thank you
21.gif
The Stuller is like a tank....secure, hardy....the stone was well protected but I wanted something pretty...more feminine looking. It was only meant to be temporary, anyway, until I decided on something, and it''s taken 4 years to do so.

My jeweler and I have designed a mount with 4 prongs (split)...plat head, 18K yellow Euro shank, very rounded and smooth and comfort fit. It is almost finished and hopefully, will be on my hand by Christmas
36.gif

missmg9

Rough_Rock
oh my GOSH, these rings are SO BEAUTIFUL!!! The rings you have all posted are making me go ga-ga.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I just can't decide!! I love the look of almost all diamonds. I am starting to go cross-eyed looking at rings and ring settings!!

You have been so helpful though - I think a delicate 4-prong setting might be the way to go... I just love the side views you have posted that show it almost suspended in midair! Hopefully it's a beautiful diamond and I go crazy every time I look at my hand.

If it's too tall, when we have a baby I'll make him get me a bezel set ring. :) Can't go wrong with having some options, right?

missmg9

Rough_Rock
Hi again everyone! I found a picture that my boyfriend is bringing to the jewelers for the first meeting. I''m SO excited! We''ll get some sketches back eventually I hope. I think this pic came from Blue Nile.

almosttheone.jpg

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/13/2007 8:52:57 AM
Author: Mysteryman2320

31.gif
Mysteryman2320, I am loving this ring! Do you have anymore photos? She is a lucky lady :)

Good luck w/ the proposal!!

96TL

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/14/2007 9:34:46 AM
Author: mintve

Date: 12/13/2007 8:52:57 AM
Author: Mysteryman2320

31.gif
Mysteryman2320, I am loving this ring! Do you have anymore photos? She is a lucky lady :)

Good luck w/ the proposal!!
Sure do.

And thanks, I need it. I''m very nervous about proposing. I don''t know why. I feel like I''ve known her forever, and can tell her anything. We''re been together 9 years. Now the day is coming (11 days) and my heart is racing just sitting here typing about it. LoL. Not sure why. Normal I guess.
19.gif

3975 12.JPG

96TL

Shiny_Rock
Another angle.

3975 7223.JPG

96TL

Shiny_Rock
Last one. I promise.
2.gif

3975 6323.JPG

96TL

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I lied.
6.gif

3975 46565.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results