shape
carat
color
clarity

6 Prong Round Brilliant Solitaire Yellow Gold or White?

Inert

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I recently started looking at engagement rings for my gf and quickly stumbled across PS and the wealth of knowledge here! I've learned A TON reading through other threads and have made up my mind on nearly everything except for prong color. I keep going back and forth between yellow gold and white gold/platinum!!
The ring will be YG and I really liked the idea of keeping everything the same color and avoiding the two tone look but also don't want the prongs to take away from the diamond or make it look yellow. I also understand the rationale behind wanting the prongs to "disappear" and leave the stone as the main attraction.

I know there are lots of topics on this (and I've read through all of them!) but it seems that most of them are referring to diamonds lower in the color scale that already show a tinge of warmth. I haven't purchased the diamond yet but specs will be:
  • Ideal Cut
  • G-I Color
  • VS2-SI1
  • 1.8-2 carat
Also I've seen lots of pictures of 4 prong solitaires in all YG but hardly any 6 prong examples. I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts and if you have any examples please share! Thank you!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Welcome and congratulations on your impending engagement! I recently upgraded to a 1.85 ct, G, VVS2 with the help of this forum. With regard to your question on the setting, if you are concerned about the warmth of yellow gold against the diamond, you can always get yellow gold setting with white gold prongs. And if you'd like some diamond suggestions from the experts on this forum, share your budget and I'm sure you will get plenty of great options. GL!

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
My ring is almost those exact same specs, but in platinum. I keep seeing yellow gold and love it so much I’m considering a reset! That being said, I think it’s taste specific. Has your GF given a preference?

Inert

Rough_Rock
Welcome and congratulations on your impending engagement! I recently upgraded to a 1.85 ct, G, VVS2 with the help of this forum. With regard to your question on the setting, if you are concerned about the warmth of yellow gold against the diamond, you can always get yellow gold setting with white gold prongs. And if you'd like some diamond suggestions from the experts on this forum, share your budget and I'm sure you will get plenty of great options. GL!

Thanks @Kaycee2018! 1.85ct, G, VVS2 sounds amazing!
What do you mean by YG setting with white gold prongs? In my case the prongs pretty much ARE the setting correct? Do you have a picture?

Last edited:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Kaycee2018! 1.85ct, G, VVS2 sounds amazing!
What do you mean by YG setting with white gold prongs? I'm my case the prongs pretty much ARE the setting correct? Do you have a picture?

Here are some examples of a yellow gold solitaire setting with white gold prongs vs. with yellow gold prongs. The white gold prongs help the prongs "disappear" into the diamond. HTH!

WHITE GOLD PRONGS:

SoliA.jpg SoliB.jpg

YELLOW GOLD PRONGS:
41LSXYR-SHL.jpg

yellow-gold-tiffany-setting-solitaire.jpg

Last edited:

Inert

Rough_Rock
My ring is almost those exact same specs, but in platinum. I keep seeing yellow gold and love it so much I’m considering a reset! That being said, I think it’s taste specific. Has your GF given a preference?

Is your whole ring in platinum or just the setting/prongs? I know that she loves YG and definitely wants the ring YG but I don't think shes ever noticed to pay attention to prong color. In lots of the pictures of 6 prong rings looking from the top down its actually hard to tell what color the prongs are since they are thinner than 4 prong versions. I think shes always assumed they are all YG bc when I casually mentioned it the other day she seemed surprised that two tone was even an option. But looking at some on her Pinterest they seem to be WG prongs. I guess my point it that she will most likely love it either way, I am just being super picky! Haha

Inert

Rough_Rock
Here are some examples of a yellow gold solitaire setting with white gold prongs vs. with yellow gold prongs. The white gold prongs help the prongs "disappear" into the diamond. HTH!

WHITE GOLD PRONGS:

SoliA.jpg SoliB.jpg

YELLOW GOLD PRONGS:
41LSXYR-SHL.jpg

yellow-gold-tiffany-setting-solitaire.jpg

The first two pictures aren't showing up for me but I think I know what you mean. I think what I am calling the "ring" you are calling the "setting"? I'm still learning here so I'm sure my terms are incorrect. In either case the "ring" part will definitely be YG. Just not sure about prongs yet.

EDIT: The first two pictures show up in my reply so I can see them now.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
This was my M colour diamond in a yellow gold setting with white gold prongs.

infinitymaisie16.jpg

Inert

Rough_Rock
Computer renderings are so hard for me to get a feel for. Does anyone have finger shots of comparable 6 prongs in YG and WG?

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I see...I misunderstood your initial post when you said the ring would be yellow gold, I assumed you were referring to the wedding ring, not the e-ring setting. I will add that you can usually request minor modifications to stock settings. In my case, I requested that the prongs be "softened" so they don't protrude and are minimal in appearance. Of course if you go custom for the e-ring setting you will be able to modify the prongs any way you like. My personal preference would be to have the prongs on a yellow gold band done in white gold so they don't compete with the diamond. I don't feel having white gold prongs on a yellow gold setting gives a two tone look. GL!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think white metal prongs (ideally platinum) are best with a yellow gold shank. The theory is that the prong color will reflect into the diamond. Plus, your eye will tend to see the stone as bigger with the prongs in white metal.

Here's a hand-forged 6-prong with white metal prongs (not mine...sadly).

Inert

Rough_Rock
Welcome!

It’s all in the execution of the setting. I’m pasting below two incredible examples of six and eight prong solitaires, each shown in both white gold and yellow gold. EW’s prong work is impeccable, and is who I’d use if it’s in your budget.

https://erikawinters.com/engagement-rings-grace-6-prong-solitaire/

https://erikawinters.com/engagement-rings-margot-solitaire/
Those look really nice! If it helps at all my setting most likely be something similar to the Vatche 1532 but in a 6 prong version.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
92B93669-A4E2-4AEB-A619-5C32279D1858.jpeg I have yellow gold with yellow prongs and I love the contrast! The lighting could have been better. My H center with F sides never looks yellow.

Inert

Rough_Rock
I think white metal prongs (ideally platinum) are best with a yellow gold shank. The theory is that the prong color will reflect into the diamond. Plus, your eye will tend to see the stone as bigger with the prongs in white metal.

Here's a hand-forged 6-prong with white metal prongs (not mine...sadly).

Thank you! That's a great example and very similar to the setting I'm going for! Basically the same thing but with the prong ends more tabbed rather than pointed. Now if only they had the same video in YG to compare :wall:

Inert

Rough_Rock
Aside from the color differences, would there be any advantages to YG prongs? Would they hold up better over time with less maintenance compared to platinum?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from the color differences, would there be any advantages to YG prongs? Would they hold up better over time with less maintenance compared to platinum?

Plat prongs are often recommended b/c gold is a bit more brittle. So if you whack your hand on a counter and damage the setting, the idea is platinum may bend whereas gold may break and you have greater risk of losing your stone. My avatar ring is YG band and WG prongs though and it feels quite secure. Some people don't like the greyish look of plat, but you can have it rhodium dipped or choose an alloy that minimizes. Some people love the heavier or more luxe feel of plat vs. gold. I think it comes down to personal preference.

I personally love two-tone settings b/c it gives more versatility wardrobe-wise. The color reflecting on the diamond depends on the individual diamond, that's a consideration as well. Mine didn't look any different when we tried it in yellow gold vs white gold but some stones get spectacular boosts from the right metal surroundings.

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Since you two have already discussed it a bit, I would get her thoughts on the two-tone look. While I think it can be beautiful, I would personally find it distracting since the wearer sees the side view more than others might.

Inert

Rough_Rock
Since you two have already discussed it a bit, I would get her thoughts on the two-tone look. While I think it can be beautiful, I would personally find it distracting since the wearer sees the side view more than others might.
I'm trying to make it as much as a surprise as possible but yeah I may quiz her a little bit more on it to be sure. I need to go look at some more examples in person. I have gone a couple times now but YG prongs aren't very common so its harder to find similar examples in store.

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
Is your whole ring in platinum or just the setting/prongs? I know that she loves YG and definitely wants the ring YG but I don't think shes ever noticed to pay attention to prong color. In lots of the pictures of 6 prong rings looking from the top down its actually hard to tell what color the prongs are since they are thinner than 4 prong versions. I think shes always assumed they are all YG bc when I casually mentioned it the other day she seemed surprised that two tone was even an option. But looking at some on her Pinterest they seem to be WG prongs. I guess my point it that she will most likely love it either way, I am just being super picky! Haha

My whole ring and prongs are platinum. If I were to reset in yellow gold, I’d do all yellow— but that’s just my taste. I like the contrast!

Inert

Rough_Rock
You guys have me more confused than ever! As soon as I think my mind is made up I read/see something that sways me back the other way. I like the idea of the contrast and making it a little more unique than the typical platinum prongs but then I also like that the platinum prongs blend in and make it look even bigger/whiter. Will try to check out a couple in person this week.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My yellow gold prongs in my first ring went 27 years with no problems. My current yg prongs are on year 11, no problems. I just love the contrast!

atp223

Shiny_Rock
I have a 18k yellow gold band with platinum prongs. I totally understand not being sure about the "two tone" look, but I feel like the prongs blend in so much with the diamond (from the top down view at least) that you don't really notice. And I think a lot of "classic" (traditional?) yellow gold settings have platinum prongs (for example my mom's original ring was like that), so the "two tone" aspect of the metals doesn't jump out at me and the ring just looks pretty normal. My diamond is I colored btw. IMG_5581.JPG IMG_5586.JPG BrianGavin_Tiffany_AlexaP4b_072318.jpg IMG_5644.JPG

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Platinum prongs all the way! They are strong and will blend into the diamond making the diamond the focal point. I think that yellow prongs would detract when you have an I or above colored diamond.

I have never heard anyone use the phrase two-tone to refer to a yellow gold ring with white or platinum prongs. That phrase is usually reserved for rings that have both yellow and white on the band or have a halo in a different color metal than the band.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't be surprised if your girlfriend has seen a lot of white or platinum prongs with yellow bands and just never realized it. I never noticed myself until joining this forum.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results