shape
carat
color
clarity

6 carat antique unheated sapphire-appreciate thoughts on…

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,
So I’m clearly obsessed with sapphires lately.
Unheated is my next quest.
I am very interested in this 6 carat antique unheated sapphire.
It’s from Thailand.
GIA certified no heat.
Brilliant cut with a step cut pavilion.
I am a huge fan of the darker navy color so that’s not my question.
What I would like your input on is the tilt window.
Is this acceptable?’
I see it sometimes. Then other times not at all.
I will say it’s a very clean fat-bottomed stone that shoots off fantastic shards of blue in different light. I love everything about it but am just needing PS expert input on the ability to see my hand through the stone at certain angles.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
One more video in morning light.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Virtually all colored stones have a tilt window. This sapphire seems to have little or no window head on, which is what really matters. I don't think any window would be apparent when the stone is on your hand, but if you are worried, ask for a video of someone wearing the ring.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This color wouldnt work for me personally (I think it's too dark and not brilliant enough). But the tilt window wouldn't be a huge issue because I dont think you would see it from the top down when wearing it

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much,
It’s a rockstar on my hand.
I see it only when I looking at it in wonky weird angles.
Here it is almost all of the time… 5C5000EC-D801-4E76-A377-2AF464144215.jpeg 61A21B07-8865-4B67-A20E-B8A1F82FFFF1.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
This color wouldnt work for me personally (I think it's too dark and not brilliant enough). But the tilt window wouldn't be a huge issue because I dont think you would see it from the top down when wearing it

This.

I think it's a question of will seeing the tilt window occasionally bother you. If you like the color and cut, and answer is no, there you are. Does it black out in bright light? Looks like it could. I see some indication of it in the morning video. It is really a question of what your eyes like though combined with your budget!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
This.

I think it's a question of will seeing the tilt window occasionally bother you. If you like the color and cut, and answer is no, there you are. Does it black out in bright light? Looks like it could. I see some indication of it in the morning video. It is really a question of what your eyes like though combined with your budget!

That darn budget!!!
This is direct sunlight noon east coast.
Oh and it needs a reset which could be fun…
DE5E274C-85A9-4C22-890B-94CFB4FD33E4.jpeg 34E6427A-712B-4C5D-B1DA-E399736687FC.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
That darn budget!!!
This is direct sunlight noon east coast.
Oh and it needs a reset which could be fun…
DE5E274C-85A9-4C22-890B-94CFB4FD33E4.jpeg 34E6427A-712B-4C5D-B1DA-E399736687FC.jpeg

To me, this goes much too dark and you have an almost bowtie band area of lighter color amongst the darker. I don't think I would pick this for me. What do you think of how it looks in that lighting?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am a huge fan of the darker navy color so that’s not my question.
What I would like your input on is the tilt window.
Is this acceptable?’

I like it! I looks like a traditional dark navy sapphire that doesn’t completely black out and stills shows flashes of color. This is a color a lot of non-PSers look for.
Whether or not the tilt window would bother me would depend a lot on its price. There are things I choose to overlook if something is a great deal. If I thought I could buy a loose stone of my choice and have a setting made for a similar price, I would do that instead.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, this goes much too dark and you have an almost bowtie band area of lighter color amongst the darker. I don't think I would pick this for me. What do you think of how it looks in that lighting?

That's how I feel as well. But of course if the OP likes the color then that's all that matters.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock

I’m honestly not sure.
The flashes of lighter color are really very spread out over the stone. So I don’t really see a bow tie. But who knows, with colored stones I’m learning anything is possible so I will keeep looking and see if I see it.
What I find fascinating is how very differently it behaves throughout the day.
I’m babysitting it for today and tomorrow and then I need to return it or buy it!!!!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I’m honestly not sure.
The flashes of lighter color are really very spread out over the stone. So I don’t really see a bow tie. But who knows, with colored stones I’m learning anything is possible so I will keeep looking and see if I see it.
What I find fascinating is how very differently it behaves throughout the day.
I’m babysitting it for today and tomorrow and then I need to return it or buy it!!!!

I had a much smaller stone that had the banding effect years ago. Over time it really grew to bother me and I didn't like the stone. I definitely would try to see it and as many atmospheres as you can before you make the decision to buy.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I like it! I looks like a traditional dark navy sapphire that doesn’t completely black out and stills shows flashes of color. This is a color a lot of non-PSers look for.
Whether or not the tilt window would bother me would depend a lot on its price. There are things I choose to overlook if something is a great deal. If I thought I could buy a loose stone of my choice and have a setting made for a similar price, I would do that instead.

That's how I feel as well. But of course if the OP likes the color then that's all that matters.

I feel very much in the minority that I like navy sapphires.
Not because of Princess Diana.
Well, let me clarify, I was 24 when she died so it’s very possible I imprinted on her ring and didn’t even know it until thirty years later!!
Oh…and I also like the clarity of this stone and that it’s unheated. Two very big mind-clean issues for me.
Oh….one more thing…remember it’s antique!
Does that make a difference??
Thanks everyone, I’m still just observing her!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Does it matter if it's an antique if you plan on a reset? Knowing that you plan on resetting makes me think you should pass on the ring. Without knowing the price, it would pretty certainly be cheaper to source a similar unset stone, because then you aren't paying for the setting.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys.
I sheepishly admit I like it.
By the way, can anyone advise me on how to find comparable stones online so I can get a better idea of what I should pay and possibly negotiate price???
Greatly appreciated!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Virtually all colored stones have a tilt window. This sapphire seems to have little or no window head on, which is what really matters. I don't think any window would be apparent when the stone is on your hand, but if you are worried, ask for a video of someone wearing the ring.

I respectfully disagree. I see a significant head on window. It’s just so dark in tone, the window is not as noticeable.

This screen shot shows it more.

Attachments

• 32DC5D11-A145-41B5-BF77-EA2B9151162A.jpeg
    32DC5D11-A145-41B5-BF77-EA2B9151162A.jpeg
    500.1 KB · Views: 6

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
It's still hard for me to say based on these videos. That pics looks to show the ring at an angle.

I see a window here:

BA007521-238D-4E73-9AF5-2D7040FDF089.png

But not here:

85573DA4-6B3C-4E2D-90A9-ADEFAE9779FA.png

Regardless, when I think about what I consider a "bad window," my mind goes more to something like:

6D07760B-B710-457C-97AB-D099D34F3179.jpeg

It's really up to OP's personal preferences at this point, though I think that long-term, OP is more likely to be bothered by the tone than the window.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I respectfully disagree. I see a significant head on window. It’s just so dark in tone, the window is not as noticeable.

This screen shot shows it more.

That might be exactly it!
Perhaps the darkness of the stone is masking a significant window!!!!!
Arrrrggggh!
This is getting so hard I might have to step away….

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
While it’s not my cup of tea, reading your words I feel you have a connection to it. I honestly can’t say without knowing what the price is.
Thai Sapphires do tend to be in the darker greener shades like Australian Sapphires so if this is what you like then this is a large flashy example.
Personally I don’t like that lack of light play in the stone..... but if we all liked the same thing we would be in trouble!
My sapphire is far from the ideal but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Flip a coin - call it but don’t look at it and in that moment you will know if you wanted it to be heads or tails and you will have your answer.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
While it’s not my cup of tea, reading your words I feel you have a connection to it. I honestly can’t say without knowing what the price is.
Thai Sapphires do tend to be in the darker greener shades like Australian Sapphires so if this is what you like then this is a large flashy example.
Personally I don’t like that lack of light play in the stone..... but if we all liked the same thing we would be in trouble!
My sapphire is far from the ideal but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Flip a coin - call it but don’t look at it and in that moment you will know if you wanted it to be heads or tails and you will have your answer.

@Beautiful-disaster i will do exactly that!!!
Thank you.
Please stay tuned.
PS-I greatly appreciate everyone’s expert advice….

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thai sapphires tend to be darker toned, and the larger the sapphire, the darker the sapphire can get. Sometimes the window may be intentional, to lighten the color of the table or to prevent the gem from looking darker than it already is.

This sapphire doesn't captivate me personally, but if you like it and it's within budget, go for it. I'm not a fan of a step cut pavilion in non-rectangular gems. It preserves the weight instead of accentuating beauty.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 5 cents.
Its dark with no vividness and needs bright light to look it’s best. Unless bright lighting conditions will be frequent you’ll not be often seeing any nice blue.
it has a window, not necessarily a deal breaker but combined with a lack of vividness, a negative.
Its set and you aren’t planning on keeping the setting. That’s $$$ you’re wasting.
Unless it was a bargain, I’d pass.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I feel as if I’ve inconvenienced everyone enough and I very much appreciate all your input.
I truly listen.
But, if anyone could chime in on a ballpark number for price that would be helpful!!??
If not, I do think I may have to pass.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s two unheated Thai darker blue sapphire rings with diamond halos, one newer one vintage in the 6ct range that are retailing for 13-19k on 1st dibs.

Real apples to apples comparisons are incredibly difficult without knowing much more

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I'd pay more than 6-8k for that stone.
I feel as if I’ve inconvenienced everyone enough and I very much appreciate all your input.
I truly listen.
But, if anyone could chime in on a ballpark number for price that would be helpful!!??
If not, I do think I may have to pass.

Similar size, it looks like your stone might be slightly darker though, and they both have a window.

I would not pay the retail price for the stone.

How much is the jeweler offering just the stone for?

I think a big thing to think about here is that this stone is going to be one that is likely hard to resell if you change your mind down the road.

On most pieces at a bare minimum unless it's highly desired, you are looking at a starting discount of at least 25% to 30%, and many times you are lucky to get back 50% of what you paid. I would keep that in the back of your mind when you are deciding on what you are comfortable paying.

I think the larger question here is not what do other people have similar stones listed for, but what is your jeweler asking for the stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results