shape
carat
color
clarity

6.5ct light yellow diamond project- Two ways use jewelry? Ring and pendant

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I recently had purchased this amazing 6.5ct radiant light yellow diamond from Diamond By Lauren, and I am super excited about working on the setting project!

I came across an idea from a jeweler in Hong Kong where they can use the ring 2 ways. What do you think of this idea? Will the ring look strange?

I personally find the ring setting or custom made ring to be too expensive in United States. because I would rather spend that kind of money in the center stone. (I am cheap that way):P2 I am thinking in the U.S. will cost anything from $7K to $10K. Anyone have custom made their ring and tell me if I am correct in the estimate?

It doesn’t make sense to me to spend that kind of money on the setting, and down the road I might reset it and the setting does not worth much anymore.

Therefore I am planning to have someone custom make it in Hong Kong, which I know is much cheaper, I had done this before with my 2.5ct ACA.

This is my vision of how my ring should look like.
8D8C1C54-6038-4266-92DD-7C8C6C42BA39.jpeg
D5DF3F9B-4FFB-439B-BC61-AA824D9D6A31.jpeg

And here are some picture of how they can make it into 2 ways use.

F86BD084-5300-4641-9CD8-0DA9BABC7492.jpeg 5CDD172C-0613-4F4F-904E-261CB6725F56.jpeg 05B6EE90-4AA7-4942-8BDB-43E4862A83F0.jpeg 85896AA0-DBEF-4976-B083-045A43BDFFE4.jpeg FB78CB67-79B8-461A-A2AD-8EF3F656BB6A.jpeg

Last edited:

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the idea of a ringdant! I really want one. A specific someone on here in Trade had advised multiple times against it.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE the idea of a ringdant! I really want one. A specific someone on here in Trade had advised multiple times against it.

Oh what is the reason this person advised against it? I would really want to find out.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you Daf!
The reason I generally advise against convertible designs is that a ring needs to be very strong. A person uses their hands all day long. Even if a person is not doing hard work, the ring will be exposed to stresses doing everyday things, like opening a door. When designing a ring to have a removable top there are mechanical compromises necessary. This means it won't be as strong as a ring without the hinging mechanism. That's why I am generally against "Ring-dants"

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So, in your case, your diamond is much bigger. Additionally, when you add the surrounding white diamonds, which won't be small, you run the chance of a very substantial monetary loss if the top of the ring comes off and is lost. I do love your design idea.

I also wonder if the whole ring would be insurable given the convertibility. Please check into this before you choose to proceed.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a "ring-dant" and I love it!!!!!

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for letting me know! I did leave a comment, hopefully she comes back to PS and see my comment.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@lovedogs OMG What a gorgeous piece!!
Please don't take ny comments as any sort of dis!!!
The truth is I've never seen one fail myself- but like your hubby, the idea scares me.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
@lovedogs OMG What a gorgeous piece!!
Please don't take ny comments as any sort of dis!!!
The truth is I've never seen one fail myself- but like your hubby, the idea scares me.

It is a very scary thought! But the convertible is so tempting. Decision decision...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE anything convertible, especially ring-pendant.

The designs will be quite ornate, and the rings will not suit for daily wear, more special occasion pieces.

I would like my larger and better CSs to be set in ring-pendant designs.

I have seen a ring-pendant piece listed in the past in the shop of the eBay setting vendor in China that I use, therefore I know they are capable in making such pieces for me.

Just need to find pennies for them as they will be quite costly. Good job I do not have to fork out for the centre stones!

DK :))

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To my knowledge they are made in the far east. The thought that it would be a " special occasion" piece makes sense to me. Although I've never seen one fail, I've seen more regular rings get damaged than I can count, over the years. Part of our customer service is taking care of rings long term- which is another reason they scare me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the links! What a beautiful piece you have! I can’t believe the setting I like is very similar to your piece, and it helps a lot for me to understand how they do the conversion.
You're welcome!!

@Rockdiamond no offense taken at all! I definitely understand the fear of it falling off as a ring! My thought process was that this was a very fancy piece that I won't be able to wear every day (sadly!), So making it into 2 options would allow me to wear it more . Mine definitely looks less huge/fancy as a pendant, so I feel like I can wear it that way more often. But i definitely wouldn't feel comfortable changing it from ring to pendant daily, since I don't want to stress the convertible part more than necessary.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
@diamondseeker2006 I am responding to you on this thread because I decided to creat a new thread about the setting project here.

You have brought up a few good point to me that I need to consider seriously. I am not sure if I really want to have a cocktail ring... so I need to explore my options.

For my life style a cocktail ring might not suit me. I recently became a stay at home mom with two young children. Therefore no more work parties, no more important meetings. I am not sure how often I get to use the cocktail ring. That is also the reason why I wanted the convertible idea so I can use it more as a pendant.

I do feel that the simple halo design is the most versatile and I would be able to wear all the time, but on the other hand I feel it’s too common. I need to take a step back and see what I really want.

Last edited:

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
A549276F-342D-497B-8CDD-9A433EE81CB0.jpeg

Silly me attempting to draw out my idea.:lol-2:
This actually help me visualize better.

If I want to make a ringdant, then I would want duet halo, but if I am just make it into a ring, this is what I would like. This would also be a ring that I can wear more often.

Idea #1.
I don’t want my ring to look too much of a pointy corners, and I don’t want my ring to look too much of a round cluster ring, maybe more like an oval shape cluster ring. I don’t know if this idea would work by just increase the size of the melee on the top and bottom.

Idea #2
I don’t want a duet halo, but didn’t want the ring to be too simple, so maybe hidden Pavé on the bottom would work. Maybe half pointer melee?

Idea #3
For the ring band, I am not sure if I should go with the cathedral style or not.:confused:

Last edited:

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Wow :geek2: I do love the idea of a ringdant. I hope you can find a jeweler who will secure the ring so you don’t lose it. I really love the setting with the white diamond surrounding the yellow stone. Just gorgeous! :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results