shape
carat
color
clarity

cushion-cut diamond with ''very strong blue'' flourescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

statnikov

Rough_Rock
I am hesitating whether to buy a ring with a cushion-cut diamond with ''very strong blue'' flourescence. Here are statistics of the stone (according to GIA):

Shape: Cushion Brilliant
Measurements: 6.31 x 4.80 x 2.94 mm
Weight: 0.80 carat
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 60%
Gridle: Slightly Thick to Very Thick, Faceted
Culet: Large
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity: VVS1 Ponential
Color: F None
Flourescence:
Very Strong Blue

What do you think would be a fair market price for such a diamond? How does the flourescence affect the price? What to look for before purchasing the diamond?

Thanks!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 4:44:58 PM
Author:statnikov
I am hesitating whether to buy a ring with a cushion-cut diamond with ''very strong blue'' flourescence. Here are statistics of the stone (according to GIA):

Shape: Cushion Brilliant
Measurements: 6.31 x 4.80 x 2.94 mm
Weight: 0.80 carat
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 60%
Gridle: Slightly Thick to Very Thick, Faceted
Culet: Large
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity: VVS1 Ponential
Color: F None
Flourescence:
Very Strong Blue

What do you think would be a fair market price for such a diamond? How does the flourescence affect the price? What to look for before purchasing the diamond?

Thanks!
I can only answer a couple questions because I don''t know the answer to all of them. For instance, I don''t know how much that diamond should cost, but the flourescence will actually lower the price of the diamond. If it''s possible, you can call the vendor and ask if the flourescence makes the diamond cloudy or oily, but that doesn''t always happen, so it might be ok. The first thing you want to look at before purchasing the diamond is cut, because cut is most important. There are tutorials on this site though that can also walk you through the diamond buying process, and they can be really helpful.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Stat. Commonly, "very strong blue" fluorescence on an F\VVS1 will carry a 7 to 10% discount on a VVS clarity stone (less on VS & SI clarity stones), which your vendor has most likely taken into account in his selling price.

This 7 to 10% discount is mainly because of the bug-a-boo of "very strong blue" fluorescence creating a "hazy" or "oily" effect on the stone in direct or indirect sunlight (which excites the ultra-violiet fluorescence).

If this effect does not show up, then you''ve found a good looking stone (that appears one or two color grades whiter in indirect or direct sunlight) at a bargain. In the old days these were called "blue white" diamonds, and were very much in demand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results