shape
carat
color
clarity

5 stone ring - graduated or not?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I have a pair of 0.34 ct F colored round brilliants and figured I’d turn it into a 5 stone ring. I also have $160 off a $800 purchase at Blue Nile as a promo on my AmEx so I figured I need to sort this out now. The promo expires in Feb which is when I would purchase. This is the second one they’ve given me so I honestly might just wait for these to buy the diamonds for this project.

I was thinking with a non-graduated 5 stone I could occasionally use it as a wedding band with my current ring but a graduated 5 stone might need to be a stand alone? But I’m also concerned that a 5 stone that thick will be out of proportion with my ring and would need to be a standalone anyway.

Can I get some opinions?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
A graduation, even if slight, looks best in my opinion.

What do you think I should do in terms of sizes for the other stones? I was thinking about 0.45 ct for the biggest, my two 0.34s on the sides, and maybe 0.2 cts as the smallest ones.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the stones will be closer in size my vote is for no graduation. If you will use your 1ct+ as the center stone, then I will get 2x around 0.5-0.6ct but that will be much more expensive than getting 3 x 30pt diamonds.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
If the stones will be closer in size my vote is for no graduation. If you will use your 1ct+ as the center stone, then I will get 2x around 0.5-0.6ct but that will be much more expensive than getting 3 x 30pt diamonds.

I was looking at the 0.34s being the middle size. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on it so I wouldn’t go larger than 0.5 cts for the center if going graduated.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I have plaid with the idea of a five stone once, and having diameters go down by 20% each step made sense - just enough graduation to make the curve of the ring obvious.

2p

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I have plaid with the idea of a five stone once, and having diameters go down by 20% each step made sense - just enough graduation to make the curve of the ring obvious.

2p

So to confirm I understand this correctly... my stones are 4.1x4.5 mm. My biggest stone should be 5.32x5.4 & the smallest at 3.28x3.6?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only like graduated 5-stones as standalone vs as a wedding band paired with ER. But, that’s just me.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I only like graduated 5-stones as standalone vs as a wedding band paired with ER. But, that’s just me.
Yeah I think a graduated 5 stone as a wedding band might be a little off. Given how much it’ll cost for a center that’s 0.55 - 0.6 ct (which is think would fall in the 20% larger range) I’ll prob do them all the same size.

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I think a band with stones that size takes something away from an ERing.
Although my band ring is a 4 stone vs. 5 below is photo of my two rings together; solitaire is 9.2/9.7; stones in band are 4.2/4.3mm.
C445E148-9182-4B32-B6D1-634E67BBC84E.jpeg

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think a band with stones that size takes something away from an ERing.
Although my band ring is a 4 stone vs. 5 below is photo of my two rings together; solitaire is 9.2/9.7; stones in band are 4.2/4.3mm.
C445E148-9182-4B32-B6D1-634E67BBC84E.jpeg

This is basically what mine would look like! You’re right, the band is overpowering...

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Ok I’m killing this idea. It wasn’t the great idea I thought it was. Thanks everyone for your help!

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Ok I’m killing this idea. It wasn’t the great idea I thought it was. Thanks everyone for your help!

I should have added to my earlier response that I really enjoy wearing the 4 stone ring as a RHR with thin pave or plain bands. It’s a fair amount of bling without being too much in casual settings.
In fact, thinking of an upgrade project with larger stones...

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I should have added to my earlier response that I really enjoy wearing the 4 stone ring as a RHR with thin pave or plain bands. It’s a fair amount of bling without being too much in casual settings.
In fact, thinking of an upgrade project with larger stones...

I just got my friend’s opinion too and she wasn’t feeling it either. I might have DK do a thicker bead set band so I’ll still have band bling :bigsmile:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think a graduated five stone is one of the most gorgeous looks ever. A true Classic beauty. I think that you could get away with a center just below half a carat, use your 0.34s as middle ones and between 0.15-0.2 on the sides. You do not need to dump the idea at all, unless you have a better one.:)))

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What ring size are you? If above a 7, I think .34s can work for a 5-stone all the same size, especially if you pick the right setting.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I think a graduated five stone is one of the most gorgeous looks ever. A true Classic beauty. I think that you could get away with a center just below half a carat, use your 0.34s as middle ones and between 0.15-0.2 on the sides. You do not need to dump the idea at all, unless you have a better one.:)))

I completely forgot that I have different sized CZs I bought to play with side stone sized for my current round...
I’m going to play with that and see what it looks like. I like the idea of the graduated ring but I also like the idea of a ring that’s not a standalone because I only wear my rings on one finger. I can’t stand the feeling of rings on my right hand.

What ring size are you? If above a 7, I think .34s can work for a 5-stone all the same size, especially if you pick the right setting.

I’m a 7. I wanted a thick diamond band but I was going to have a bead set band made later this year after I figure out what I’m doing with my current stone. I just needed something to do with these 0.34 cts and since BN wants to give me $160 off (basically) I figured this could be an inexpensive idea. But I definitely don’t want the band to overpower the ring.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I completely forgot that I have different sized CZs I bought to play with side stone sized for my current round...
I’m going to play with that and see what it looks like. I like the idea of the graduated ring but I also like the idea of a ring that’s not a standalone because I only wear my rings on one finger. I can’t stand the feeling of rings on my right hand.

I’m a 7. I wanted a thick diamond band but I was going to have a bead set band made later this year after I figure out what I’m doing with my current stone. I just needed something to do with these 0.34 cts and since BN wants to give me $160 off (basically) I figured this could be an inexpensive idea. But I definitely don’t want the band to overpower the ring.

What about as a RH ring ?
Or wear on ypur index finger ?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would wear this on the left middle finger or right ring finger. I used to be like you but then somehow things spread to the other fingers too and now I just play around and do what I feel like. I of course do not wear all my rings every day but it is like having special things you only wear on occasion; expensive rings, evening gowns, etc. I still enjoy looking at them even if I do not wear them every day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results