shape
carat
color
clarity

5 stone ring - u prong vs basket setting

ethannicholas

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I would like to get a 5 stone ring made. I have size 5 hands and am thinking of either .30 or .40 stones.

I am not sure about whether to get the ring in a u prong setting vs basket setting, similar to the Tiffany's one. I think the u prong setting is beautiful, and I love the side profile of the stones. However, I am wondering if a basket setting will be lower in profile, and therefore, more comfortable to wear? Will the stones look more blingy in a u prong vs basket setting? Does the fact that the u prong sits higher up make the stones more noticeable?

I would love to try on some rings, but there are not a lot of quality jewellery places in the small town I live in!!

Thanks

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
5 x .4ct stones will come to a spread of around 24mm. On a size 5 finger, that's gonna be a whole lotta bling no matter how you look at it!

Personally, I'd go with baskets because they do sit lower and have a prettier curve on the finger because of it (in my opinion, of course - take all caveats as a given). I don't think the stones sitting higher look any blingier - mostly just higher, really - and a little disconnected. The whole idea of a 5 stone is its side-to-side coverage, so a lower sitting band that wraps around the finger hits that target.

And 5 x .3 stones would also look wonderful! You really can't go wrong with this.

Good luck!

diamondsndogs

Rough_Rock
5 stone 1.JPG 5 stone profile.JPG I recently purchased a 5 stone u-prong set ring (5 .30 stones, F/VS2 for 1.50 ctw) from Aby Nathanoff at JewelryULoveby Aby. I couldn't be more pleased with the ring or her customer service, she is a pleasure to work with. The u-prong set stones have a nice low profile (but still really nice presence and sparkle) which I wanted since I plan to wear this ring as an everyday ring as opposed to my engagement ring and eternity band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results