shape
carat
color
clarity

5 prong vs 3 prong claws for pear diamond?

joshlam27

Rough_Rock
HI
i have the option of setting my 1.5ct pear shaped diamond in either 3 prong claw (v tip + 2 claws at the base) or 5 prong (v tip + 2 claws on each side of the diamond) in a platinum setting.

as this is my first diamond, from you experience, do you think a 3 prong setting will be secure enough? anything i should check for / watch out for if it is 3 prong setting?

TIA

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it going in a halo or solitaire?

Mine has 5 prongs. Most people go with 5. Is there any reason you would want to go with 3?

People go with 3 on rounds for earrings (martini) that wont be getting hit or knocked but you rarely
see 3 on a round stone in a ring.
. 2016-03-11 15.43.06-1 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

joshlam27

Rough_Rock
Is it going in a halo or solitaire?

Mine has 5 prongs. Most people go with 5. Is there any reason you would want to go with 3?

People go with 3 on rounds for earrings (martini) that wont be getting hit or knocked but you rarely
see 3 on a round stone in a ring.
. 2016-03-11 15.43.06-1 (1).jpg

it would be a soliatire setting. 3 prong only because SO likes the minimalistic design, allowing more show of the diamond. but i wanted to get this groups advice on safety of this?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
5 is strongly preferred.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5. With 3, if you bend one, you can lose the diamond.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If the prongs are done right, it will still me minimalist. Look at tyty333’s photo. Those prongs are beautiful and don’t detract from the beautiful pear. I actually LOVE the delicate claw style versus regular prong tip. So elegant.
I am surprised if you can find a jeweler that would do only 3 prongs. Has your girlfriend seen this somewhere?
I understand minimalist, but there’s also minimalist as in LOST DIAMOND!!!
Also, you mentioned v-tip. Personally I hate that when used on pear and marquise cuts. The way tyty333 did it is perfect. I had a marquise many years ago and my points were like hers. If you are looking for minimal, v-tips are opposite!

joshlam27

Rough_Rock
If the prongs are done right, it will still me minimalist. Look at tyty333’s photo. Those prongs are beautiful and don’t detract from the beautiful pear. I actually LOVE the delicate claw style versus regular prong tip. So elegant.
I am surprised if you can find a jeweler that would do only 3 prongs. Has your girlfriend seen this somewhere?
I understand minimalist, but there’s also minimalist as in LOST DIAMOND!!!
Also, you mentioned v-tip. Personally I hate that when used on pear and marquise cuts. The way tyty333 did it is perfect. I had a marquise many years ago and my points were like hers. If you are looking for minimal, v-tips are opposite!

haahha thank you

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
V tips can be done nicely, it just take a bit of skill - I have a pear where the shape is complemented by the v tip and would look blunted by a prong!

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you are going to wear it daily, take 5. In 3 prongs if one gets loose the diamond falls out

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you were going in a halo or a setting that had some protection around it I might think 3 would be well, ok, but since you are talking solitaire I
say 5 (5 beautifully done minimal prongs).

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others on five prongs for security. My marquise has 6 prongs, including a v-prong on each end and they aren't very noticeable at all because they're all small. I personally don't like the look of a regular prong at the tips and think it covers more of the diamond than a v-tip, plus interferes with the shape.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a split shank 5 prong setting for a pear diamond. Secure and when done right elegant and beautiful and minimal in appearance. It really allows the pear to shine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results