shape
carat
color
clarity

5 or 7 stone rings hurt adjacent fingers?

a_fan

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm shopping for a ring for my wife. My question is, do five or seven (or more) stone diamond rings poke the pinky and middle fingers? I don't like the channel set and the others have prongs that look like they may poke the adjacent fingers. Is this a thing?

Like this:

ms101-b_white.jpg

ms102-b_white.jpg

sr67_white.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine does not. my five stone goes from edge to edge of the finger, not in between, if that makes sense.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Might depend on the size of the stones, what carat weight are you going for? I have a 5 stone with 0.25ct stones and it is very comfortable with no issues on the other fingers!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I have a five stone ring in that same style setting with forty point diamonds on a size 6 finger. I find it very comfortable to wear.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The key is having the stones set low, and don't get a larger carat weight that fits her finger. What size ring does she wear on the hand that you intend to get the ring for?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting design, ring size, and personal sensitivity are additional factors that impact on ring comfort/wearability.

For example, a setting design similar to the photos below, with the smooth transition from metal band to diamond on the outside pair of diamonds, does not have protruding prongs which could poke into adjacent fingers:

bgd_5408p-4.jpg bgd_5408p-3.jpg

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/wedding-and-anniversary-bands/eternity-bands/five-stone-shared-prong-platinum-5408p
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/wedding-and-anniversary-bands/eternity-bands/seven-stone-shared-prong-band-platinum-5391p

The right fit can also affect comfort - if it is too loose, it will slide around the finger, making it more likely the ring/diamonds/metal will poke the adjacent fingers.

And, some people just are more sensitive and feel more discomfort with certain setting designs. If your wife is one of these people, select a low-profile setting that allows the diamonds to sit on top of her finger and not to extend to the sides of the fingers -- depending on carat weight, this may mean going with a 5-stone rather than a 7-stone design -- and make sure the ring is in a size that won't slide around on her finger.

If it is likely comfort will be an issue, then I strongly recommend you can buy the ring and give it to your wife while still inside the return period.

a_fan

Rough_Rock
I'm looking at around 1 ct total wt. Her size is 4.5

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
I have a 5 stone 1.27 ct (approx 25 points each) and I have a 4.75 finger. The setting isn't particularly low either and its still comfortable to wear everyday. The prongs do not rub on either middle or pinky fingers.
I love the coverage 25 pointers give and probably could go bigger to 30 points each. I hate to say it but as a standalone band for me 1ct total weight would be too small for me now.
Is it to be worn alone or with another ring?

Here are some pics of my 5 stone, size 4.75

20141007_170938_zps5cc0574c.jpg

5stone2_zps2b238d08.jpg

20141211_210405_1.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 4.5 finger, and a five stone of 30 pointers set very low. Doesn't hurt the adjacent fingers at all. Style of the setting will make or break the wearability of the ring.

_1239_0.jpg

_35803.jpg

_1231.jpg

I had tried Blue Nile's five stone, and it was set way too high, and very uncomfortable. I thought that five stones weren't for me. Little did I know that it was ALL about the setting.

See how the stones were set higher, thus taking up more space from left to right.
5_stone_and_band.jpg

The sides of the 5 stone were hitting the adjacent fingers. Uncomfortable.
5_stone_only.jpg

Also, because of the height, the diamonds on the five stone hit the prongs of my ering. Thus I could not wear it next to the e-ring.
all_3_side_view.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a_fan|1453151715|3977633 said:
I'm looking at around 1 ct total wt. Her size is 4.5

Is this ring meant to be worn alone or with an engagement ring? Because there is a huge difference in what we'd recommend based on that answer!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

a_fan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help so far!

This will be a rhr.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1453144843|3977592 said:
Memoire makes a low set band, as an example. This one was 1.5 ctw but she exchanged it later for a 2.0 ctw. You can see that it is low set and comfortable the way the shank meets the stones.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-chased-down-the-ups-man-and-look-what-i-got.39183/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-chased-down-the-ups-man-and-look-what-i-got.39183/[/URL]

Thanks for sharing this link DS! I was just thinking about both versions being in a thread somewhere!

To the poster - my ring is very comfortable! I went with this one because I could try it on in a store before I ordered it to know that it would be comfortable. There are elaborate, more intricate and higher settings for a five stone but they just won't work for me because they don't all curve around the finger at the ends. The other plus about a low profile setting is that it doesn't get banged on everything I touch which I love about this ring. In other words, I chose the ring for the look and comfort of the five stones across the finger rather than the side view.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Fwiw, I have a seven stone that is just over 1ctw. It's low set and extremely comfortable for daily wear. :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, for a right hand ring, I'd go with 5 stones if you are looking at 1 ctw. I would want smaller diamonds if wearing it with an engagement ring.

I actually have a 5 stone ring that is about one carat. My finger is about 5.5, so these size diamonds should work well for her.

img_10474.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
OP There is a great thread on five stone rings: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/[/URL]

Look through it to get idea's of setting styles & different TCW . Most on here will recommend you work with either Whiteflash,
Brian Gavin or IDJ if having the band made. That way you can choose your diamond color & clarity, as well as the setting style.

I have a 1.73 tcw five stone in the BGD Uprong setting, size 7.25. It is very comfortable.

Magpie4426

Shiny_Rock
OP, have you had a look at id jewellery? Several ladies have bought lovely 5 stone rings from them

a_fan

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that suggestion, they do have some nice ones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results