shape
carat
color
clarity

5/10/14

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
As a former list-keeper, I'm sure my silence after entering this realm of PS was a surprise to some. My engagement was... overwhelming to say the least. My schedule was not ideal for planning - and I was attempting to research my options online in a town I wasn't living in. After many pleas for help, I crossed my arms, stomped my feet and flat out refused to plan anything more. This eventually lead to a compromise in guest count (Fi wanting a small 50-60 person wedding, if at all - he really wanted a destination in hawaii. mother wanted a 600 person gala) and I was able to finally start venue shopping. Due to security concerns and weird articles I've read regarding the internet, thieves and wedding crashers, I'll leave my venue a secret until after we're wed :) - I will say, however, that I booked the venue one and a half years out, and got the only saturday they had left in the spring. They are booked until 2015 at this point :errrr:

I've done a good bit of planning, but figured I'd write a post about each and considerations we've taken for a 150 person wedding. Goal budget for this black tie affair was made at 40k (which after hiring a wedding planner, and realizing my venue + rentals is already 7k over, is something that I doubt I'll make). I will try to go in order of things I did so those who are as boggled down by the planning process can see how I've steadily overcome my fear of planning ;-).

For now, things I suggest for the new bride - these all seem to go hand in hand, and didn't really happen one after another in my case but had to be tackled first.
1. Budget (how much are you willing to spend?)
2. Guest count - you budget will really affect this, you may actually have to sit down and write this out, I made a shared excel spread sheet and forced Fi and parents to add to it.
3. Type of wedding you see for yourself - which season? outdoor/indoor, black tie, semi casual (this helps with deciding on venue)
4. Venue - how many people does it hold, does it provide anything, search pictures of other weddings there and see if it photographs well. BOOK THIS ASAP

the four steps above took about 6 months of headache for me... catering was the next big one, but i'll get to that later :)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Mico!

I can't wait to hear more about what you are planning as you are comfortable sharing. I know security can be tricky to balance when you're posting somewhere like here! (I actually had the realization one day that I've got a dozen people I didn't want at our wedding no matter what and here I had just posted pictures of me & DH, the name/location of our venue, and the exact timeline of the day...)

audball

Ideal_Rock
Mico!! So glad your'e feeling less stressed about planning! It's wonderful to have some of the biggies checked off your list and will help ease your stress as things move forward. I can't wait to hear how everything keeps going for you.

We had a stressful first 4-5 months after getting engaged too. A lot about budget, elope/wedding, etc. Lots of decisions to make and I personally felt like it was impossible and had many melt downs! It sounds like you've figured out what you want though and are making great progress at making it happen!

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on picking a date and venue! Very exciting!!! :appl:

But what's this about posting your date online and wedding crashers... I'm getting nervous now. I posted my date and venue on my FaceBook Page. Crap! Should I delete this?!!! :-o

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
TooPatient said:
Congratulations Mico!

I can't wait to hear more about what you are planning as you are comfortable sharing. I know security can be tricky to balance when you're posting somewhere like here! (I actually had the realization one day that I've got a dozen people I didn't want at our wedding no matter what and here I had just posted pictures of me & DH, the name/location of our venue, and the exact timeline of the day...)

Thanks TP!!
I've been a silent lurker and have tried to check in every so often. I'm a little weird with online sharing after a bad experience, and realizing people can figure out a lot of stuff about you with just a few hints! I'll probably be sharing everything else, just the time/place/location will be shared after (when I hope to share pictures!)

audball said:
Mico!! So glad your'e feeling less stressed about planning! It's wonderful to have some of the biggies checked off your list and will help ease your stress as things move forward. I can't wait to hear how everything keeps going for you.

We had a stressful first 4-5 months after getting engaged too. A lot about budget, elope/wedding, etc. Lots of decisions to make and I personally felt like it was impossible and had many melt downs! It sounds like you've figured out what you want though and are making great progress at making it happen!

Me toooooooooooo!! Once I got the venue and caterer things were so much better. I'm actually having fun and not feeling as burdened. I do have to admit that I have a couple of friends planning the same time as me - and their recommendations for vendors has really been helpful. We're sharing a lot of them :). Your day seemed absolutely PERFECT! I am so happy you guys went with what you did, I feel like everything worked out the way it should.

maple2012 said:
Congrats on picking a date and venue! Very exciting!!! :appl:

But what's this about posting your date online and wedding crashers... I'm getting nervous now. I posted my date and venue on my FaceBook Page. Crap! Should I delete this?!!! :-o

Maple, I think it's ok to share stuff with a "private" site like FB, but this is open to the public and my radio station recently mentioned some wedding crashers who ruined a couple's wedding and it skeeved me out! I'm probably being overly sensitive, and I feel like 150 is small enough that strangers will be noticed - but who wants to deal with that??

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I've been very bad about keeping this up. I went on board with what others have done and made a to do list!

Currently I'm working on my save the dates in hopes that I can purchase them during this upcoming black friday/cyber monday. I'm really hoping to knock off a lot of the cost. Vistaprint sent out a "save $50 when you order $100" coupon, and you can't really beat that ;-). A friend of mine is helping me make them, she's a graphic designer and uber talented. I'm actually kinda excited about it!

I got this list from my knot budgeter, and kinda made my own excel spreadsheet out of it:

Things I'm working on now: (cake tasting tonight!)
STD
Cake
Hotel Block
Rentals
Honeymoon

My planner got an amazing deal on a uber nice hotel near my venue. I'm just waiting on my mom to approve it before giving the go ahead. I'm hoping to get our room thrown in there for free if we fill up the block ;-).

Rentals ARE A PAIN IN MY #@$%)#(*%#)$%. Why are they SO EXPENSIVE, and why do drop off fees cost almost as much as the rental!!! Kill me.

I gave FH the responsibility of planning our honeymoon... I had also given him the responsibility of doing the STD, which only had him brainstorming and me eventually doing all the nitty gritty things I didn't want to.

Things I have to do:
Beverages
Hair+Makeup
Alterations
Veil+Accessories
Invitations
Other Stationary
Groom's Tux/suit
His Ring
Officiant Fees
Limo/Car rental
Favors
Parents Gifts
Attendant Gifts
His Accessories
Pre-wedding Pampering

Things I have done (in the order I did them, lol, look when I got my ring):
Ceremony set up
Reception venue
Her Ring
Wedding Planner
Valet
Food and Service
Gown
Photography
Reception Music
Photobooth
Flowers

I can update with the things I've done if anyone is interested. I take photos of EVERYTHING

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I just figured out how to share pictures from my phone again!!! Woot!!

Dress: Lazaro 3063
This was a compromise between my mother and I. It's the shape I want with a romantic feel/flowy skirt, and the bling she was looking for ;-)
(stolen pictures from net of someone else wearing it)

But I got it in the ivory color:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1385569763.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1385569777.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1385569809.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Next up, my flowers :)
Inspiration shots that my florist will recreate:

imageuploadedbytapatalk1385570390.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1385570412.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock

imageuploadedbytapatalk1385570550.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1385570564.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1385570579.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1385570594.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
omg it's going to be so romantic and ethereal and beautiful!!! love all your photo documentation of your progress!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee said:
omg it's going to be so romantic and ethereal and beautiful!!! love all your photo documentation of your progress!

Thanks pandabee!!! I'm slowly putting things together :)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!

I'm sorry to hear about what happened with the wedding crashers. I can't even imagine :nono:
Glad you are okay though! When you mentioned, I thought that you'd had some horrible stalker or something.

Your inspiration pictures are just amazing! I love the fluffy romantic feel to it all -- so gorgeous without being over the top. I can't wait to see more pictures as you plan!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Not much on the wedding planning front from me! Picked my cake baker and need to finalize a design. It's changed so many times since I first picked a possible design.

Also, picked out my rentals, here's a tentative seating arrangement with the two different table cloths I'll be using.

I'll let you all know what cake design I go with :)

imageuploadedbytapatalk1389904780.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Got our favors/place settings!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1390010874.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Which one do you guys like more?

The paper sample on the far right would be comparable to the paper of the sample on the left (what I would likely end up using)

imageuploadedbytapatalk1390864141.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1390864166.jpg

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
gah, i absolutely LOVE your placeholders/favors! 2-in-1, the efficiency is uncanny!

i love love love the invitation on the left! It's so romantic and classy, and i love the script. I think it'd match wonderfully with your other wedding decor :)

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
sweetpea&babycorn|1390867984|3602361 said:
gah, i absolutely LOVE your placeholders/favors! 2-in-1, the efficiency is uncanny!

i love love love the invitation on the left! It's so romantic and classy, and i love the script. I think it'd match wonderfully with your other wedding decor :)

thanks!! I think it's something people will likely actually get use out of :)

I think i like the invitation on the left, too. They're from shine invitations
http://www.shineweddinginvitations.com/wedding-invitations/angelic-script-wedding-invitations

i'm probably going to splurge and pay for the printed guest names, it just kills me a little inside to do it. I don't think i'm going to do reply cards, just a link to the website. There's also an iphone app you can download for people to get your info (they also download the app and put in your "password" which gives them access to all the info they need. it's $30.

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh - so difficult! I love both invites! :appl: I also bookmarked their website - I love their invites! They are so classic and cute.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Everything is beautiful! There is something about the one on the right that I love. It's very beautiful and classy but just a tad different than anything I have ever seen before. You really cant go wrong either way. :appl:

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks maple and AS! I think I'm a little thrown by the paper and font color differences for the invite on the right. I like the fact that the one on the right allows for printing on the back if the invite. I emailed shine and asked if they would allow for that.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Personally I like the arrangement of the right better...it's more whimsical yet formal at the same time. The left seems more standard/classic (I do like that it kinda makes an upside down heart under the and though!). I feel like the right matches your other decor better.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Also, the presents have started to roll in!!!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Jlo's has the best makeup

Smores84

Shiny_Rock
:wavey: Hi Mico,
So exciting that your big day is coming up this week! Happy wedding!!
BTW, you dress is beautiful =)

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Mico! Happy wedding week! I am sure your day will be amazing. I cannot wait to see pictures.

Be sure and update us once you are a Mrs.

:appl: :appl: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :love: :love:

minidancer

Shiny_Rock
I'm getting lots of ideas for my own wedding from here :)

Peonies are my favorite, and I love the detail on the wedding dress. :love: :love:

I like both invites a lot, but the one of the left is more classic. It seems to fit better with your lovely romantic theme.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results