shape
carat
color
clarity

W Prong or Tiff. Style setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mybluedane

Rough_Rock
I''m having such a dilemma. I''m working w/ WF and was orginally going to go w/ the classic Tiffany style setting for my 1.5ct princess diamond...but after looking at all the settings I think I also like the W prong one too!! I''m eventually going to get a eternity band to wear as my wedding band and don''t want something to "heavy" looking. Do you think the W pronged setting will be too much? I was told that their eternity band is thinner than the W prong so would that just look weird??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, those are really two different looks and it depends on which you like better. I do like the wider settings for a princess because it''s more like the Tiffany Lucida look. And I think when you have a wide e-ring, you can go with a narrower eternity band. If you look on the wedding sets thread that is now on Show Me the Ring, you can see Tacori-E-ring''s wide e-ring with a 2 mm wedding band. I believe Ellen has a wider e-ring with eternity band as well. I think I prefer a round stone in a traditional thinner tiffany-style setting.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2006 7:33:48 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
You know, those are really two different looks and it depends on which you like better. I do like the wider settings for a princess because it''s more like the Tiffany Lucida look. And I think when you have a wide e-ring, you can go with a narrower eternity band. If you look on the wedding sets thread that is now on Show Me the Ring, you can see Tacori-E-ring''s wide e-ring with a 2 mm wedding band. I believe Ellen has a wider e-ring with eternity band as well. I think I prefer a round stone in a traditional thinner tiffany-style setting.
i agree. i like the wider, a-la-lucida look with a princess. very classy.

^

Rough_Rock
I''m facing a similar dilemma myself. Part of the call for me comes down to finger size. I think a Tiffany setting might look too small on her finger, so I may have to go with a Lucida-esque X prong. The W prong seems to be a great, and IMO, possibly more unique way to go. A good compromise.

My only concern is the quality of the finish. Some of the close-ups I''ve seen in a post by somebody who said theirs was slightly scratched when they got it, didn''t inspire my confidence. The soldering of the right side of the basket to the shank isn''t as nice as I''d hope. I''ve been considering a Mark Morrell, who is a standard bearer IMO. I don''t expect this to be as good, but I''m concerned it may not be "good enough" for my pickiness.

Good luck,
^

125_2516.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2006 4:34:08 AM
Author: ^
I''m facing a similar dilemma myself. Part of the call for me comes down to finger size. I think a Tiffany setting might look too small on her finger, so I may have to go with a Lucida-esque X prong. The W prong seems to be a great, and IMO, possibly more unique way to go. A good compromise.

My only concern is the quality of the finish. Some of the close-ups I''ve seen in a post by somebody who said theirs was slightly scratched when they got it, didn''t inspire my confidence. The soldering of the right side of the basket to the shank isn''t as nice as I''d hope. I''ve been considering a Mark Morrell, who is a standard bearer IMO. I don''t expect this to be as good, but I''m concerned it may not be ''good enough'' for my pickiness.

Good luck,
^
okay, i really need to get a close up of my ring on here so people won''t have to refer to posts from 2003! i have the 3stone w-prong and it is just beautiful. the prongs are just amazing. i was considering a bigger stone a month or so ago and one of the reasons i passed it up was that i didn''t want to have to change the setting. the workmanship is superb.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing that kills me is, who is ever going to see a ring THAT magnified! I''m not sure many rings would pass that kind of test. I''ve even heard of a problem with a MM ring but the person was afraid to post it, unfortunately. So that said, I''ve seen plenty of beautiful rings on here from WF, so I wouldn''t hesitate for a moment to get their e-ring setting if I bought a diamond there. All vendors need to be warned that rings sold to PS people need to pass a higher degree of QC than normal because the rings are inspected to a higher degree!

^

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/8/2006 8:56:25 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
All vendors need to be warned that rings sold to PS people need to pass a higher degree of QC than normal because the rings are inspected to a higher degree!

I''m pretty sure they''re well aware of this.
2.gif

Thanks for the report on your W-Prong, good to know. Definitely, no ring will be seen at this magnification, wish I lived in TX to go take a look myself. Maybe I''ll see if I can order it un-set and see if I can return if I don''t love. Still unsure whether I want that setting most, though, like OP.
26.gif

^

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I am a HUGE fan of the w-prong with a princess cut! The W really seems to compliment the square shape of the stone. It''s so much more unique too. If I had a princess, I''d set it like that in a heartbeat!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results