shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum & Porosity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

genette

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been reading on here about porosity and how it can happen when you cast platinum. I''ve read Demelza''s post and it concerned me. Is there an alternative to casting or preventing porosity? Are rings commonly casted?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
a lot of rings are cast now days because it's quicker and more cost effective. You can also get precision that isn't always there with handmade pieces. however, there are many designers and custom jewelers who still handmake their rings. leon mege is one of them along with michael b, michael beaudry, daniel k and other designer names....

ETA: i asked about the differences between pave ring that are handmade vs cast in this thread. you might find it helpful
1.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps an expert can chime in here, but I'm not sure the issue is cast vs. handmade (those are not, to my understanding, mutually exclusive -- in fact, just the opposite). When it comes to issues of porosity, I think the issue is cast vs. die-struck. A piece that is cast (and that includes handmade pieces) has a higher probability of developing porosity than does a piece that is die-struck. As far as I know, my solitaire was handmade, and, therefore, cast.

I wouldn't worry too much about porosity. It's one of those things that happens from time to time. Make sure that the manufacturer has a good warranty and will stand behind the ring should something go wrong. Ask the jeweler who sets the stone to examine the setting carefully under a microscope before and after setting to ensure that there are no signs of porosity. That's all you can do really. Chances are you'll be fine.

genette

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your replies and Demelza I absolutely am falling more and more in love with your setting. Seeing your recent post with your updated stone just made me want it more than I read your post on porosity and how devastating it sounded at the time for you and it made me a little discouraged. Nevertheless, I will take what you said and follow it and use every precaution I can take that''s possible without making myself go bonkers. I tend to be one of those people that can be particular about certain things and if I see just one little flaw I get fussy. I''m trying to tame that down. Okay now I just have to see what other options are there if not than we have a winner
1.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2006 1:49:36 AM
Author: fashionsweetie
Thank you for your replies and Demelza I absolutely am falling more and more in love with your setting. Seeing your recent post with your updated stone just made me want it more than I read your post on porosity and how devastating it sounded at the time for you and it made me a little discouraged. Nevertheless, I will take what you said and follow it and use every precaution I can take that''s possible without making myself go bonkers. I tend to be one of those people that can be particular about certain things and if I see just one little flaw I get fussy. I''m trying to tame that down. Okay now I just have to see what other options are there if not than we have a winner
1.gif

Thanks for the kind words about my ring. I wouldn''t let the fact that my setting had porosity discourage you from getting it. It could happen to any manufacturer at any time; it''s just one of those things. Having said that, if you do decide to get the SC mounting, I would recommend doing one of two things: 1. have SC set your stone so that you don''t invalidate the lifetime warranty -- if you discover porosity at a later date, they will have no choice but to stand behind the ring; or 2. get it in writing that if you have a local jeweler set your stone and he/she uncovers porosity, that they will stand behind their product and either pay for the repair or make you a new mounting. Do you already have your stone? What other mountings are you considering?

genette

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/26/2006 2:06:15 AM
Author: Demelza

Date: 7/26/2006 1:49:36 AM
Author: fashionsweetie
1.gif

Thanks for the kind words about my ring. I wouldn''t let the fact that my setting had porosity discourage you from getting it. It could happen to any manufacturer at any time; it''s just one of those things. Having said that, if you do decide to get the SC mounting, I would recommend doing one of two things: 1. have SC set your stone so that you don''t invalidate the lifetime warranty -- if you discover porosity at a later date, they will have no choice but to stand behind the ring; or 2. get it in writing that if you have a local jeweler set your stone and he/she uncovers porosity, that they will stand behind their product and either pay for the repair or make you a new mounting. Do you already have your stone? What other mountings are you considering?
Yes I do have a stone. It is a 1.29 H/VS2 from GOG. I would''ve loved to have a bigger stone but my bf and I are only 24 years old right now and figure we can upgrade later. I will say that being on here really does cause shrinkage to sink in fast. I do hope to one day join the 2 carat plus crew on here
2.gif
. He hasn''t popped the question yet because were still trying to find exactly what I want and I insist on being active in getting the ring I want. So I just say we are pre-engaged if there''s such a thing. I at first wanted a set similar to Mara''s but there was something about a solitaire that is just so classy. I like your set, jcrow''s, jadiejewel''s, and matatora''s set the best and all of these are from different vendors, so I think I will have to take a bit of time to decide which one I want more. When I do decide I will be sure to post pictures.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results