shape
carat
color
clarity

48 hour hold! Opinions please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Noy

Rough_Rock
I've narrowed down two possibilities of Princess cuts:

Diamond 1:
GIA Report
5.61x5.54x3.98 mm
1.04, F, VVS1
Culet/Fluor: none/none
Girdle: Thick
Depth/Table: 71.8%/65%
Crown Height: Getting Sarin
Polish/Symmetry: Good/Good

Diamond 2:
GIA Dossier (laser inscribed cert # but no clarity plot)
5.56x5.40x3.62 mm
0.97, E, VS1
Culet/Fluor: 1.7/none
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick
Depth/Table: 67.0%/70%
Crown Height: 10.2%
Polish/Symmetry: EX/VG

Concerns:
- Polish/Symmetry (wrt all the related threads, its still seems that 1 is the better overall choice?)
- Color over clarity?
- Clarity (have no idea where the inclusions might be on diamond #2 - is it an issue for VS1?)

I've put these two Bluenile diamonds on hold for 48hrs and I wanted to quench my pre-buying jitters
loopy.gif
as much as possible!

Help! please?
Thanks!
wavey.gif

Noy

Rough_Rock
Oops, forgot to mention that these were in the same price range, (within $100), so given the weights, #1 is a lower price/carat. Also, #2 is one of BlueNile's "name brand" (Signature Ideal) cuts, so probably gets an automatic price boost.

Any help yet?
2.gif

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
Since no one has replied yet, I'll give it a go.

Symetry > Polish, and the difference between good and very good should not be distinguishable to the naked eye. I do feel that a rating of excellent for either one shows that the cutter went the extra mile to make the stone look it's best.

For an eye clean stone, my opinion is color > clarity. F and E are both outstanding, can you or your girl tell the difference? The difference between VVS1 and VS1 will not be noticable to your eye, and may even be difficult to see under a loupe. I will tell you that I can tell the difference between E and F, and I recently purchased a E VS1 stone.

The locations of inclusions should not make a difference in a VS1 stone. Note, I didn't say they won't, I just said they shouldn't. Same holds true for VVS1.

Did I help answer your questions? I can't comment on the cut of either one because fancy stones you really need to see to judge the cut, and I don't know much more about them than that
1.gif

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
You may also want to send one of those stones
to an expert for analysis.

Kirk

Noy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses.

I know many people probably shied away from this one since, aside from AGA's charts, I haven't seen many recommendations for fancy cut proportions.

I guess I wanted to see if any "princess-wearers/purchasers" had used the AGA charts in their decisions and with that background, my main concern is/was:

All things fairly equal given a choice between these two (Diamond 1 falls in AGA's Class 1A, Diamond 2 falls in AGA's Class 2A), which would have more of a visual influence to the naked eye-- the cut class or the color?

(did I just end up starting a new thread?
errrr.gif
)

(Lugus, those comments on the other issues were pretty much the same thoughts I was having-- thanks! So that led me to the question above..)
(and my mistake... Diamond 1 is a VVS2)

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
a well cut diamond will have more fire and brilliance than poorer cut diamonds. Cut is absolutely the most important of the 4Cs

Since it's a fancy, it would be nice to see firescope and brilliancescope images of the stone to compare. Just because one is a 1A and the other 2A doesn't necessarily mean that it'll sparkle more. It's a good guide, but no substitute for your own eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results