shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy Cut Lovers Unite…I’m a princess lover (so shoot me)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

For the last 5 years of my life, since discovering PS and another similar diamond site, my goal was to get a 2+ carat H&A RB. Then I had a revelation last Friday at dinner…..I don’t want a round cut, and ideal H&A rounds didn’t take my breath away like I thought it would. In the past 3 months, my uncle (husband of my late aunt who passed away 3 years ago), and both his sons got engaged. Thanks to my direction, they did their research on PS, and 2 of them purchased H&A Round brilliants from a VERY reputable vendor here (both stones were in the 1.25 ct range, E, F color respectively), while the third purchased a non-H&A but AGS 0 from another vendor ~1.70ct F round brilliant. I saw all their rings for the first time last Friday, and I have to admit….I was not WOWED. They all chose beautiful custom settings in antique styles which showcased the stones really well. None of them were in cheap, plain settings, but STILL I was not blown away.

Then I asked one of my cousin’s fiancée’s to see her ring up close. She handed me her ring (1 ¼ ct, and E color like my princess), and I put it on my pinky next to my ring finger, next to my princess cut. Then it hit me, I don’t like the tight “specs” of an ideal H&A, I found the table too small, I used to have an RB with 60/60 proportions, and I like that better. I also didn’t like the disco ball affect of the idea H&A. I found that while it shot beautiful rainbow colors around the room I preferred the tiny shattered-glass look of my princess cut. It was like comparing a rainbow to lightning. Everyone loves to see rainbows, but I’m a lightning type of gal. I think the starburst look of the princess facets really made the center of my stone look more interesting. Maybe because I was surrounded by 3 RBs, and my princess stood out, and I’m the type who likes to stand out….but I’m going to have to think long and hard about my 2+ carat upgrade….Something like Researcher’s 3ct princess is beginning to look more and more like what I’m going to strive for.

I''d love to hear about what other fancy-cut lovers like about their special cuts.......I think I could be persuaded to get a nice juicy pear or oval too!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I have a .70 radiant. I love it. I initially started out wanting a RB as well, but a trip to a jewelry shop shut that down. I tried on a .71 rectangular radiant and was hooked. I always loved the long, cut-cornered look of an EC, but definitely didn''t like the subtle flashes. Like you, I wanted fire. I wanted sparks. So we got a shattered glass style radiant. And in my family full of RBs, I stand out. And I never get tired of my FMIL saying, "Your ring gets prettier every time I see it", and my FSIL grabbing my hand and saying, "I should have gotten that one." Also, I think my radiant is ME. I''m too wild for a RB.
1.gif
But, so I don''t offend anyone, I NEVER get tired of seeing all the H&As and AGS0 out there.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 1:21:36 PM
Author: AmberWaves
I have a .70 radiant. I love it. I initially started out wanting a RB as well, but a trip to a jewelry shop shut that down. I tried on a .71 rectangular radiant and was hooked. I always loved the long, cut-cornered look of an EC, but definitely didn''t like the subtle flashes. Like you, I wanted fire. I wanted sparks. So we got a shattered glass style radiant. And in my family full of RBs, I stand out. And I never get tired of my FMIL saying, ''Your ring gets prettier every time I see it'', and my FSIL grabbing my hand and saying, ''I should have gotten that one.'' Also, I think my radiant is ME. I''m too wild for a RB.
1.gif
But, so I don''t offend anyone, I NEVER get tired of seeing all the H&As and AGS0 out there.
You''re absolutely right. I love seeing everyone else''s H&A rounds and AGS 0 rounds, but I''m realizing it''s just not "me". Maybe I''m wild too......I know I used to be, but now as a mom of 2, I guess I''ve toned down to a "wildly eccentric" mom.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like round diamonds for some things (I have round studs, rounds in my eternity band and a round bezel set pendant) but I just like fancies for myself in my e-ring. My original center stone was a pear and now I''ve got an oval. Who knows what I''ll end up with next? Maybe a cushion? But for some reason rounds just don''t scream out to me in the same way.

(That being said, if any "roundie" wants to *donate* a stone to me, we''ll, I''ll find a way to love it!)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m an Asscher gal ... & that doesn''t seem to be in your top picks ... but I''ll weigh in anyway about the ideal RB thing.

I love ''em on other gals. I love ''em in pix. There''s a real WOW factor in both sparkle and size. But I''ve never liked them on my hand. They just don''t seem like "me". I even found one in a great size, that was a super deal in an antiquey setting I adored. It would have stopped traffic but -- I couldn''t get it off my hand fast enough! The salesman was like -- "You REALLY don''t like that, huh!" And the thing is -- I DID like it ... in the case, on my friend, in the setting ... but on me, I was almost ALLERGIC!

Interestingly, I don''t feel that way about diamond stud earrings though -- I have some *cough* fakey clip ons that I love & if I was to get my ears pierced at some point I''d get RB studs in a heartbeat!!

Princesses can be STUNNING! That Whiteflash cut cornered princess (unammed new cut??) had me DROOLING buckets. Of your top picks at 2ct - that''s what I''d choose! ORRRRRR - maybe a CUSHION!!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love love love my emerald cut. It is my second. I was never a huge fan of rounds, I just never was excited by them. When we got engaged I had a round, not a great one, granted, but they just seemed more typical to me. I was not a lover of many shapes,for me personally, there were a few I liked, but at the time an emerald cut never crossed my mind. When I got my first upgrade to one, it was stunning. When I got the second upgrade, I love the emerald cut so I stuck with it. In the size range I was getting, I thought it was simply too big to be a round, I do not care for large rounds on my finger since the diameter becomes large and I just was not thrilled. I love cushions, ovals, emerald cuts and asschers. I also love some of the oec cuts, and rose cuts, but maybe not in an ering...

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 1:38:41 PM
Author: decodelighted
I''m an Asscher gal ... & that doesn''t seem to be in your top picks ... but I''ll weigh in anyway about the ideal RB thing.

I love ''em on other gals. I love ''em in pix. There''s a real WOW factor in both sparkle and size. But I''ve never liked them on my hand. They just don''t seem like ''me''. I even found one in a great size, that was a super deal in an antiquey setting I adored. It would have stopped traffic but -- I couldn''t get it off my hand fast enough! The salesman was like -- ''You REALLY don''t like that, huh!'' And the thing is -- I DID like it ... in the case, on my friend, in the setting ... but on me, I was almost ALLERGIC!

Interestingly, I don''t feel that way about diamond stud earrings though -- I have some *cough* fakey clip ons that I love & if I was to get my ears pierced at some point I''d get RB studs in a heartbeat!!

Princesses can be STUNNING! That Whiteflash cut cornered princess (unammed new cut??) had me DROOLING buckets. Of your top picks at 2ct - that''s what I''d choose! ORRRRRR - maybe a CUSHION!!!!

You have aroused my curiosity!!!! I have not heard of or seen this cut. Where can I find a picture?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 1:56:26 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
Princesses can be STUNNING! That Whiteflash cut cornered princess (unammed new cut??) had me DROOLING buckets. Of your top picks at 2ct - that's what I'd choose! ORRRRRR - maybe a CUSHION!!!

You have aroused my curiosity!!!! I have not heard of or seen this cut. Where can I find a picture?

I'll try to find it for ya ... I know Ajdewey or Mara took a pix when they were last visiting Whiteflash -- maybe they'll see this thread & beat me to it!! I don't think the stone was for sale yet, or even named ... Johnquixote?? Anybody got scoop-sies??

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
My husband has always championed the RB. That''s all he ever wanted to buy me.

But alas, my idea of my ideal diamond was definitely different from his. I started as a princess lover early on, which is what he purchased for my wedding ring.

On our 10th anniversary I my intention was to get a 3 stone princess ring, but I took one look at a square radiant cut and THAT became my new favorite.

Lucky for me, my husband just wants to make me happy. He still thinks that the RB is the best cut and his personal favorite, but he always comments on how spectacular my rings look, so he''s happy even though I never agreed with his RB affection.

I''m happy = He''s happy

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay .. so this is not the photo I was supposed to be finding for you .. but hello? I just died & went to heaven.

Fancy cut & Fancy color?

Okay -- back to work with picture finding.

greenbezambar.jpg

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Drooling uncontrollably!
18.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I hear ya!

I would take a high-color OMC over an H&A RB because I love the chunky, uneven facets. There is such depth & personality to my OMC...if only it wasn''t so warm... I love cushions, my first e-ring was an oval.....I''m dying for a pair of studs (I''m very diamond deficient) and Matatora almost choked when we were shopping and I said I''d prefer princess studs over RBs for my first pair. Asschers make me drool, especially in eternity bands. I''m such a nut for fancy shapes that I''ve had my eye on a radiant in WF''s ES that is a numbers/ideal scope "dog" but would look great in a pendant I''m planning that needs a stone with a very distinctive pattern...but if I caught a RB I guess I wouldn''t throw it back
3.gif

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 2:38:41 PM
Okay .. so this is not the photo I was supposed to be finding for you .. but hello? I just died & when to heaven.

Fancy cut & Fancy color?

WOW! that is one yummy ring. I''m assuming that this is a Quadrillion from Ambar? I love them, and I''ve heard they carry quite a premium. I guess this picture kind of shows very clearly why I like my square brilliant cut....the table is definitely larger than the RB''s, and you can get the tranquility of a lake affect (like an emerald cut), PLUS the sparkles of light under the lake!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d take that in a heart beat, hehe!!!!
31.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh fun thread!! Jaysonsmom, I completely understand where you''re coming from... I always loved rounds on other people, admired their perfection and precision and kaleidoscope colors (well, the nicely cut ones)... but when I first started ring-shopping, they somehow never even crossed my mind. I always envisioned something more "different" on my own finger. I''m just not a perfect and precise type of girl, I guess!

I fell in love with cushions INSTANTLY, because of their unusual shape and old-fashioned look... but when I realized there were low-ratio ovals out there with a similar shape, but more rounded and spreadier in size... I was sold!! Unusual but still traditional, cut well enough to be sparkly, and forever changing depending on light and setting. We went with RBs as sidestones and they add a little sparkle and fire too.

In case you can''t tell, so far (it''s only been a few days!) I''m madly in love with the shape I chose, and wouldn''t have it any other way! I''ve also gotten a ton of comments on its uniqueness, and I like knowing that there aren''t many others like it out there. I think it really just depends on what speaks to you the loudest... and I think rounds can sometimes be a little quieter-voiced for those of us who rank "different" as a priority.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the way those crisp, beautiful arrows look on the rb stones, but I had a rb stone, and while it wasn't ideal cut, the shape was just...sorta blah on me, sorta boring. That's part of the reason why I chose a pear when I upgraded. I like the elongated shape, and I think it looks nice on my not-teeny-tiny fingers. I also love its different personalities - rainbow and white sparkles everywhere, the glow from within look...how they face up big for their carat weight...something so fluid and graceful about that pear shape outline. Yummy.
18.gif

ETA: Love that cut cornered princess. Kinda reminds me of a Flanders cut, another cut that I'm head over heels for. I actually have a flanders interlap in the old solitaire setting of my ering. A fun change. Love cushions too...just wish they didn't face up small for their size.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2 radiant cuts and my oval can make a lot of round brilliants disappear.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
That stone you posted, Deco, looks like a square H&A? I've seen those on the GOG website before.

I have never liked rounds. My whole life. My husband doesn't either. They are fine on other people, but not on me. I never ever wanted a round (except for a pendant or bracelet). It seems everyone has a round.

I love fancy cuts because they are different, and I always like to be different. I have a heart cut, a pear, a yellow radiant, and now a cushion. I just love the unique shapes. Oh, and in the 80s, I used to want a marquise. Now I want a princess. Oh, and an oval. I used to have a square emerald cut, but traded it in (not enough going on for me, i.e. sparkle),

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS got me thinking that rounds were the way to go...that if the round adhered to special formulas, that my diamond could guide in ships in on a dark and stormy night!
1.gif

The problem is I don''t like the round shape...Deco and I must have the same allergies. I didn''t like princesses at first primarily because I found it too severe in it''s square shape, and the facets not chunky enough like the round. I learned more and didn''t like how deep they were. Then I thought about Jubilees or Square H&As to get the optics and the shape in one, but they were still deeper and somewhat out of my price range for a carat.
Someone months ago posted that they got a 1 carat nice square cushion in the high 3K range. I thought, gosh, that is a lot cheaper than the prices I am seeing for the same weight in other stones. Then I saw moremoremore''s cushion, and though...hmmmm....more more more! I realized that this may be the sweet spot for me...a stone I love in the size I want for a great price. As I researched on, I read that cushions look better in larger sizes (1.5 carats-2 carats or more.) After thinking about it, I thought, well I''m going for it anyway...I have good eyes and I will be able to see the lovely qualities in a good cushion just fine Hee hee.

So I have my 1.03 carat cushion now and I have to say, I fall in love with it more every day. It''s ex/ex and I love how the fantastic symmetry gives me the "order" that I was initially seeking in a round. I never really carefully studied a radiant in person so I don''t know if it''s a random shattered look, or would have had that symmetry, but I did consider them. I am thrilled that my cushion has a better spread than some of the other fancies I was looking into, because I needed a 6mmx6mm stone to fit in the setting I wanted. I feel the 64% depth of my cushion isn''t too far off the mark of nicer depths of the H&A rounds.
I would really love to see an H&A round in action though...in fact I dreamt last night that I snatched Mara''s rings when she wasn''t looking and tried them on! (They were lovely even in my dreams Mara - although I didn''t try to guide in ships with it
3.gif
. Man, you PSers and diamonds are getting into my subconscious!)

So that is my saga of settling on a shape!
36.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Fountain, is it the .54 ES, or something smaller like that? Because I had my eye on that, before getting my radiant, I kept checking the ES... You are I are of the same mind!
1.gif

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I like cushions too.....they are just so hard to come by, especially with specific numbers. I wouldn''t mind if I could get a nice 2.5 ct cushion that faced up like a 2.5 carat round, with nice 1:1 length to width ratio because I like my cushions really square-pillowy looking.

Kaylyn

Shiny_Rock
Okay .. so this is not the photo I was supposed to be finding for you .. but hello? I just died & went to heaven.

Fancy cut & Fancy color?

I want to eat that ring.
23.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 7:14:47 PM
Author: Kaylyn

Fancy cut & Fancy color?

I want to eat that ring.
23.gif

TOTALLY, it''s like one of those lolli-ring pops!!!

I just wanted tp concur with pretty much all that Deco said in her first post re: asschers. I LOVE sparkly RBs on others (and heaven knows I ADORE my heirloom .46ct RB RHR!!!!--I stare at it all the time!!) But there is just something very enchanting about step cuts and asschers to me.

(And Deco, I don''t have my ears pierced either!)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
BANG!!!!
hehehehehehe

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 7:19:26 PM
Author: blueroses

I just wanted tp concur with pretty much all that Deco said in her first post re: asschers. I LOVE sparkly RBs on others (and heaven knows I ADORE my heirloom .46ct RB RHR!!!!--I stare at it all the time!!) But there is just something very enchanting about step cuts and asschers to me.

(And Deco, I don''t have my ears pierced either!)
I happen to love the look of an Emeralds or Asschers, but don''t know if it really matches my personality. They are too elegant, sophisticated, and subdued for me. I like to be the ''life of a party'' and ''tell it like it is'', so subtlty is not one of my strong suits.....
20.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
used pears are cheap as heck now...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 7:57:40 PM
Author: jaysonsmom
I like to be the ''life of a party'' and ''tell it like it is'', so subtlty is not one of my strong suits.....
20.gif

HEE HEE. I hear ya! Have you considered going "canary"?? I saw your adorable pix in "Pictures of Couples" and, then, when I thought of this thread I said "CANARY!!!"

It''s fresh on my mind, ''cause when I was at the jewelry store a couple weekends ago with one of my best friends -- she tried on this incredible, eye-popper of a Fancy Yellow Square Radiant with Trillion side stones. It was 29K, but I didn''t ask the size center (rats!) Just over 2 I imagine. If her husband wouldn''t have had a coniption -- she would have, I SWEAR, traded in her very pretty 2 ct. RB ON THE SPOT -- & handed over more fistfuls of cash if necessary.

And what that ring *shouted* was "life of the party" "tell it like it is"!!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
This is an interesting topic. I too started off liking all the square fancies. The first one I saw was the HOF dream diamond and I loved it. Alas, it was hugely expensive so I ended up with a lucere. I looked at square radiants and Flanders too. I was never in love with it the lucere so I upgraded to a Regent. It''s funny.

When I first got engaged, DH didn''t like the squares. He wanted me to get an RB but I didn''t want one.

Now, I am starting to like them and DH doesn''t anymore. After visiting tons of jewelry stores and seeing EC''s and Asschers, he likes those the best. I am starting to really notice the RBS. But I definately see some I like better than others and I think it has to do with the cut. I think I tend to prefer smaller tables, but I am not sure if that is it or not.

I can''t really say what I would get if you handed me anything I wanted. The only think I know for sure is that I don''t care for Princess cuts and never have.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never liked a few shapes but now I see how, with a great cut and great setting, I can like almost anything! I still just love the elegance and classicness of my emerald cut...I will never tire of it and can do other things in a rhr (like my cushion tanzanite with the diamond halo) so I feel I have the best of both worlds. I never liked stones with bow ties, now I know you just need to find the right one. Princesses are a bit too angular for me, I prefer a cushion to that. And I love asschers, but a royal one, otherwise people think it is a sqaure emerald cut! Decisions, decisions....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results