shape
carat
color
clarity

spur of the moment

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!
Alright, so I just finished applying to jobs that are ACROSS THE COUNTRY!!!!!
6.gif
(canada)
I only decided this now, but I just really needed to talk to someone about it!
To say the lease, I''ve been doing some "soul searching"

I am not expecting to get these jobs, but it would be kind of neat! (I don''t know how they would hire accross country, but I meet all their requirements and more! so maybe!?)
I am only young (21), so who knows where anything will take me, and I have talked to my very long term bf about this.. but anyways! (briefly, and he is supportive of everything I do).

a quick background.. I went to University right out of high school, then changed Uni''s in a completely different program, and now was in a College for something else. To say the lease, I feel like I am wasting money as I was kind of pushed into going to school and wasn''t sure what I wanted to do. I am very "smart" and able to achieve a lot.. (last year I worked at a national tourism center and they all fell in love with me and wanted me to work as a manager for the park) but anyways I just need a bit of a change and figure things out.

I am in shock that I did this! I live in Canada (east coast) and I''ve applied to the West in the North (cold I know!) ..

Anyways! just wanted to share my "nonesense".

It would be cool to get the job, although I wonder what would happen with my bf (he is going to school next year..!)

okay.. sorry so long!
24.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so cool, sparkly! Good luck to you with your job search. It''s an exciting time in your life! I sent resumes all over the country as well...I ended up finding a job in the same state, which worked out best for me. I was prepared to go absolutely anywhere, though, and I did a few "phone interviews" with some out of state companies. My problem was that many of the companies I applied to didn''t pay relocation assistance and that would''ve been a problem for me. Most of them ended up forwarding my resume back to HR depts. in my home state.

You never know what will happen, though. Good for you for taking the chance and being open to new possibilities and relocation! It will pay off in the end for you, I''m sure!
36.gif
35.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
That''s cool, sparkly!! I am Canadian too (in Québec), also a 21-year-old college student, and I did the same thing for the summer. Unfortunately I haven''t heard from many people as of now. I wish you the best!

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys :)
anchor I''m in New-Brunswick, applying to Yukon and that area!

I am more or less looking for something full-time, and actually would be alright without any relocating money (or whatever!) haha.
The areas I am applying to are places most people don''t want to go to (that is why they pay so high!) and I would be very willing to live there for let''s say 10 years!

I just picked up my bf from work, and asked what he would do if in a month I would be asked to move. He said "I would probably go with you"
The only reason its not a full 100% YES is because he is supposed to start a one year program this September (this isn''t really what he wants to do forever but he figured he''d get some courses to try and figure it out)

Anyways.. I''m super excited! the more I think about it, the more I want to actually move up there!
ahhh! :)

(I did in fact apply to like a bazillion places around here, it''s just most take 2 weeks to start interviewing etc!) so I figured I''d get my options all out there.

(of course I''m dealing with the pressure from parents as to "what are u going to do forever and ever, what about your loans..bla bla!" this is why I want to try and go out there and make it on my own= yes I am independant.. lol)

Thanks ladies :) you guys made my news feel more real by being able to share it with you!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I think that''s awesome Sparkly!!

I''m of the opinion that people should get out there and explore, take more risks when they are young like you while they still have those options open to them. I certainly wish I had!! I''m 32 and recently returned to college a couple of years ago for a career change but have classes with mostly 20-23 year olds and whenever one of them says that they are considering a move across the country for a job or studying in a foreign country for a semester or year - I always encourage them to go for it!! Life gets too complicated too quickly and making those kinds of changes ten years from now will be much tougher. I personally love where I live - it''s home - but I wish I''d taken some time when I was younger to live other places. I always thought I would ''someday'' but never got around to it.

And even if you don''t get any of these positions, it''s kind of exhilarating to take the leap isn''t it?

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Well, if you''re going to do something unexpected, this is definitely the time to do it, before you get older and have a mortgage, and a future to think about (e.g. kids) -- in other words, responsibilities that keep you from experimenting. FWIW, my husband is Canadian, on the spur of the moment decided to go to Greece to participate in sea-trials of a reconstructed ancient greek warship, met me in Greece, then cycled through India, then flew out to see me in the SF Bay Area, we decided to get married after really only knowing each other for a few short weeks in Greece, and here he is, 14 years later, still living with me in California. After deciding to take that trip to Greece he never came back to Canada.

So who knows where life will take you? Go for it!

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
Portoar I remember reading your story SO fantastic!!

Thank you so much, your support means a lot!
I have had the overnight time to think things out and I realized I wanted this more then ever !!! I really really hope I get a call from any of the places I applied ! (:

Thank you all for your kind words,
Oh and Teebee, congrats for going back to school.. you said you haven''t taken any risk (or you wish you had taken more), but I KNOW that going back to school to change your entire career is A HUGE risk.. so CONGRATS :)
that alone is something to be proud of!

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!
I just came back from an interview (local) and you know what the owner does? he brings his staff on an exotic trip once a year (and their spouse!)
:O!
Apparently this year they are going to acapulco !!!!

I am meetinng with them again for a trial interview(where I will be with the girl who''s position Id be doing!)

Tomorrow I also have a phone interview with a company accross the country! crazy eh?

Wish me luck!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck that sounds very exciting!!!

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
I''m crossing my fingers and my toes :)

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Good luck!! That''s so exciting.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your interview, Sparkly! I''ll keep my fingers crossed for ya. I''ve heard great things recently about Acapulco! That is so exciting!!!
35.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Sparkly - you''re right, sometimes I don''t give myself credit for taking the risk to go back to school - maybe because when I quit college the first time around it was just because I hated my major and couldn''t think of anything else so... I just went to work & always had the intention of returning when I figured it all out... Right now I am finishing up my last prerequisite to enter an undergrad nursing program and minoring in Spanish - which is where I really get that wanderlust/gypsy fever. Many of my fellow classmates in my Spanish courses are looking to study in South or Central America or Spain for a semester... and I soooooooooo wish I''d done something like that at their age so I always encourage it. =) Of course, at their age, I had no idea I wanted to learn another language or that I''d enjoy it!

Anyhow, your interview sounds fantastic & like it may be a great opportunity for you. Working for a smallish company and a generous boss is really fantastic. I worked at a company where the owner was similarly generous and loved to have a good time. There were over 100 employees so nothing exotic like Acapulco... but each summer he would throw a huge bash during a Thursday and Friday - office was closed for 2 days & everyone invited - at his monstrous lakehouse. We would hang out at his house, go out on the lake in his boats, eat & drink & play pool, darts, etc. up at the yacht club - all on his personal dime. It was a great time & I have many fond memories!!

So good luck on your 2nd interview and your phone interview - how exciting!!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I moved across the country at that age and it was a great experience- I lived there for 8 years (had my daughter there...)
Adventure is good.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2006 11:28:57 PM
Author: teebee
Thanks Sparkly - you''re right, sometimes I don''t give myself credit for taking the risk to go back to school - maybe because when I quit college the first time around it was just because I hated my major and couldn''t think of anything else so... I just went to work & always had the intention of returning when I figured it all out... Right now I am finishing up my last prerequisite to enter an undergrad nursing program and minoring in Spanish - which is where I really get that wanderlust/gypsy fever. Many of my fellow classmates in my Spanish courses are looking to study in South or Central America or Spain for a semester... and I soooooooooo wish I''d done something like that at their age so I always encourage it. =) Of course, at their age, I had no idea I wanted to learn another language or that I''d enjoy it!

Anyhow, your interview sounds fantastic & like it may be a great opportunity for you. Working for a smallish company and a generous boss is really fantastic. I worked at a company where the owner was similarly generous and loved to have a good time. There were over 100 employees so nothing exotic like Acapulco... but each summer he would throw a huge bash during a Thursday and Friday - office was closed for 2 days & everyone invited - at his monstrous lakehouse. We would hang out at his house, go out on the lake in his boats, eat & drink & play pool, darts, etc. up at the yacht club - all on his personal dime. It was a great time & I have many fond memories!!

So good luck on your 2nd interview and your phone interview - how exciting!!
Teebee, good for you! I''m almost 30 and contemplating going back to school (I already have a BS degree in a totally unrelated field) to study Spanish. I would love to be able to speak a third language! English is my first language, and I am proficient, but not fluent, in French. I would love to be able to speak Spanish fluently, as it would open some doors for me as far as working in the Chicago area. After that, my goal would be to learn Italian and become multi-lingual, or whatever the English word is for speaking 4 languages, lol! Oh wait, I speak "virtual" so that would be 5, ha ha! I just love language and learning about other cultures...and I am always interested in becoming a more "rounded" person and achieving goals and fulfilling dreams in my life with the expected end result of helping others.

Teebee, I wish you the best in your studies and congratulate you on your success so far with learning Spanish.

Sparkly, you are on the very cusp of a new life and I wish you the best also. What a fabulous adventure on which you are about to embark--you seem to have all the confidence in the world and are so fortunate to have that at your age! Have the time of your life!!!
36.gif
35.gif

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much! :)
you have all shown more enthusiasm then anyone "real" around here.. !
I suppose they just don''t want to "lose" me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results