shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused and going slightly mad- HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AlliBaba

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Please excuse the long post, but I''m at my wits'' end.

I think I''m going crazy. With all the talk of stats and specs and certs on Pricescope, I think I''ve become somewhat of a "stat snob." But when I see some diamonds in person with fab, ideal stats, they just don''t look the way I expected and wanted
8.gif

I want something very crisp and clean, without any cloudy inclusions to impede light return, but I also want lots of sparkle
2.gif
. I thought that a stone with ideal proportions and a crisp hearts and arrows pattern (without any unfortunately-placed or milky inclusions) would almost guarantee me that, but I''ve just seen a really ideal stone where you could see the arrows immediately, and it seemed a tad... dead. There wasn''t much "flash" to it.

I guess my questions are,

1) When a jeweler tells you to stop thinking so much about the cert and start trusting your eyes more, are they just trying to sell you an inferior diamond? I do have to say, to the jewelers'' credit, that when they''ve told me that, they HAVE been talking about certed stones (GIA or AGS).

2) Is it possible to find an ideal-cut, mega-sparkly H&A diamond where the arrows are clearly visible even at a pretty quick glance? Or are H&A''s generally less "scintillating?"

Also, maybe on an unrelated vein, is it true that Ritani won''t allow their settings to be sold unless THEY sell you the diamond? And are they not selling, let''s say, the "best-looking" diamonds?

Phew, this is getting diiiiiiiificult
29.gif
. I''m so frustrated with the whole process- I''m starting to become extremely wary of jewelers, which is unfortunate because I know many are quite wonderful. But with the amount of money we are planning to spend on this ring, I would feel positively NAUSEATED if a jewler really took me for a ride.

HELP!!!

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Well I never heard the term "stat snob" but maybe it''s because I haven''t been on pricescope that long.
9.gif

1) Too some extent I''d say I do trust my eyes over stats but I kept my choices of diamonds within the Ideal range & AGS/GIA cert. People have different preferences so what I may like you may not in a sparkly.

2) Only looked once at a branded Hearts & Arrows side by side with an Ideal non-branded. Tell you the truth I couldn''t tell the difference both had arrows. I could see the arrows when I picked both diamonds up but I don''t remember if I saw them at a quick glance. Others may help you on this one.

3) I believe with Ritani you need to buy the stone. I stayed away from that since I preferred to pick the stone myself & go custom.

Diamond Price Tags can cause Nausea it''s part of the territory. Don''t get frustrated and remember patience wins out. Good luck.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
just because it has arrows does not mean that it's H&A

just because it is H&A does not mean it is a high performance stone

Contact Bill Pearlman from www.pearlmansjewelers.com for info on Ritani
2.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
As the pricescope heretic, i buy a lot of used stones and i have two ideal cut stones -- one with papers, one bought before pedigree was popular. One is pretty and one is less pretty.

i rely on my eyes. Once you know what a well cut stone looks like, you begin to see them everywhere. frankly i like the zales signature diamond of the mall stones. i have a bunch of well cut helzberg also.

I have about 20 other diamonds, none with papers, all are pretty in a different way. One is even "out of round" with a shallow crown and large table and it is pretty in a black and white chunky glittery sort of way (it's not "ring" quality)

i agree with the jeweler. use your eyes.

go buy antoinette matlin's and renee newman's books on diamonds -- have fun.

edited to add: when i use the cut advisor the stones i prefer tend to be in the middle of the green area on top portion of the declining line (nearsighted and like 'em set tall)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2006 8:24:58 PM
Author: JulieN
just because it has arrows does not mean that it''s H&A

just because it is H&A does not mean it is a high performance stone

Contact Bill Pearlman from www.pearlmansjewelers.com for info on Ritani
2.gif

ditto..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I third you contacting Bill Pearlman. He''s such a great guy and knows his stuff. He can help you with everything. Good luck!!!
1.gif

AlliBaba

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your replies, everyone!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Alli,
If you do contact Bill, let him know exactly what you are looking for. Even though he doesn''t have stones listed on his site he can easily help you with that. He is an 8* dealer and has access to many, many stones. If you decide to do the Ritani, I''d consider going through bill and he can take care of you start to finish. I will be upgrading my wedding set through him and will be buying both my stone and setting from him. His customer service is second to none and he''s as honest as they come. good luck.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are some gals here with ritani settings on the site who had their own stones, so not sure that ritani REQUIRES you to use their stones, maybe for some settings and not others? anyway, you can also check with a local vendor/retailer who carries ritani if you want to see them in person as well. good luck!

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I researched this Ritani issue a few months ago. If you are looking specifically at the Ritani Endless Love halo setting, then you either have to buy the diamond from Ritani OR send them your diamond already set in a setting. They would not accept a loose diamond from you to set. Never got a good explanation on why that is the case but that''s how Ritani wants it.

I had also looked at a Ritani solitaire. In that case you could pick out your own stone and send it to them loose....at least that''s what I was told a couple of months ago.

I agree with the others that if you are really interested in Ritani to talk to Bill Pearlman. In fact, that''s who I got my info from.
1.gif

I agree to trust your eyes. I have seen many diamonds without the perfects stats that were just gorgeous in person. On the flip side, I have had two ideal cut diamonds (neither true H&A) and each performed very differently. Neither one was "bad", just different based on a couple of different factors. I think we here get so hung up on the paper and the stats that we forget that the most important factor is how it looks in person.

lionluv

Rough_Rock
Hi Pebbles. IMO, use the stats/parameters as your guideline to weed out the baddies; the diamonds with too much depth and not enough spread, etc. But use your heart and your eyes to pick the diamond that seems to speak to you. If you look for awhile, you will find "the one". Maybe I am old fashioned, but I did a LOT of research and shopping on line, looking for the "perfect stats". In the end I decided upon a set of 3 radiant cut diamonds that are "branded", AND just gorgeous TO ME!! Your eyes will dim as you get older. You will forget the "stats" and parameters of your diamond in a few months (as long as you feel you got a decent buy, got what you thought you were getting - - by having the diamond independently appraised/certed). You will not always be looking at that diamond when it is perfectly clean and sparkly and in the best possible lighting. That little sparkler on your finger should speak to you and your LOVE!! You may view it (the diamond) as an extension of YOUR personality. I personally felt that I had to view diamonds in person - - and I looked at quite a few different types of diamonds at many "mall" stores and independent jewelers. I kept going back to a sparkly little rectangular radiant (with, yes very good, but not "perfect" parameters.) and his two little matching buddies. I am having a custom, 2 tone yellow and white gold setting made for these 3, and I think the setting is something that can very much accentuate and further individualize any diamond you may choose.

I believe that we as Americans often obsess over details and perfection; it leads to many of our stress related illnesses. You are probably not perfect. Your beloved is probably not perfect. In fact, you may love him because of a few little "quirks" or eccentricities that he alone possesses. The diamond that you love will be the same way - probably not "perfect" - - but hopefully perfect for YOU!!

lionluv

Rough_Rock
OPPPS!!!!!!!!!!!! Above post was meant for "Allibaba" - - sorry!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2006 9:33:28 PM
Author: lionluv
Hi Pebbles. IMO, use the stats/parameters as your guideline to weed out the baddies; the diamonds with too much depth and not enough spread, etc. But use your heart and your eyes to pick the diamond that seems to speak to you. If you look for awhile, you will find ''the one''. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I did a LOT of research and shopping on line, looking for the ''perfect stats''. In the end I decided upon a set of 3 radiant cut diamonds that are ''branded'', AND just gorgeous TO ME!! Your eyes will dim as you get older. You will forget the ''stats'' and parameters of your diamond in a few months (as long as you feel you got a decent buy, got what you thought you were getting - - by having the diamond independently appraised/certed). You will not always be looking at that diamond when it is perfectly clean and sparkly and in the best possible lighting. That little sparkler on your finger should speak to you and your LOVE!! You may view it (the diamond) as an extension of YOUR personality. I personally felt that I had to view diamonds in person - - and I looked at quite a few different types of diamonds at many ''mall'' stores and independent jewelers. I kept going back to a sparkly little rectangular radiant (with, yes very good, but not ''perfect'' parameters.) and his two little matching buddies. I am having a custom, 2 tone yellow and white gold setting made for these 3, and I think the setting is something that can very much accentuate and further individualize any diamond you may choose.

I believe that we as Americans often obsess over details and perfection; it leads to many of our stress related illnesses. You are probably not perfect. Your beloved is probably not perfect. In fact, you may love him because of a few little ''quirks'' or eccentricities that he alone possesses. The diamond that you love will be the same way - probably not ''perfect'' - - but hopefully perfect for YOU!!
Lionluv (you little dickens!)
Start a new thread with specs and pictures of your new beauties!! I just can''t wait to see
30.gif
three ORCs. I bet your ring is going to be spectacular!! So spill with some details, specs, pictures anything will ya? Us Radiant lovers gotta stick together ya know?
2.gif

I''m hungry for some Radiant bling.... so time to feed the beast!
Please?

lionluv

Rough_Rock
Hi SuzyQz - I will do that - sometime! I am having the 3 diamonds taken out for an independent appraisal first (setting up that appt. now). Then if they are all what they are supposed to be, I will be having the setting made. I have discussed posiblities with the goldsmith, sketched some pictures, modified some other settings I have found, etc. But, it will prbably be a month or so to achieve the finished product. I will try to post pictures on the picture forum then! (I am NOT computer savvy, so that will be a challenge!).

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I believe that we as Americans often obsess over details and perfection; it leads to many of our stress related illnesses. You are probably not perfect. Your beloved is probably not perfect. In fact, you may love him because of a few little "quirks" or eccentricities that he alone possesses. The diamond that you love will be the same way - probably not "perfect" - - but hopefully perfect for YOU!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great observations, lionluv!! QUIRKY is GOOD!!
26.gif
STRESS is BAD!
8.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results