shape
carat
color
clarity

Ceramic flat hair iron

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have any experience with these? The last two times I''ve had my hair cut the stylist used a 1" flat hair iron on my hair. It gave great lift at the root but the rest of the hair was pulled straight and barely turned under on the end. I have very straight hair to begin with but it gives the hair a very shiny, smooth look. It is a whole different look than using a curling iron. I think it would take some practice but the main thing is the cost - these things on ebay - brand name Chi - are selling from 65.00 on up - with 20.00 shipping! The price I was quoted at the salon was well over $100.00.

Anyone use one of these? If so, what brand do you use?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am the flatiron queen MGR! These transform my curly blonde uncontrollable hair into a movie star sleek coiffeur! They are the greatest thing since sliced bread as far as I am concerned! I use the GHD ceramic iron, I go for the slightly larger iron than the 1 inch as I find I can control it better. When using, curve the hair outwards and under like you would a blowdryer to avoid that pin straight look and to get the ends to smooth under, it's just practise like with anything. I would never be without mine and they are so essential for when I want my hair to look good - highly recommended!
3.gif
If you get really clever with them you can even use them to curl your hair!

PS - keep the iron moving to avoid kink marks in the hair.

PPS - a protective serum is a good idea too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei thanks for the reply! When I did a search for the GHD on ebay it sells for about $195! Yikes!

I really like the look they create but they are really pricey, huh? I guess I''d need to find someone with a good return policy in case I wasn''t successful in using it!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I use a HAI stick flat iron. It works really well too, but I did pay about $80. I got it off the internet, but not ebay. you might check some place like Sally Beauty Supply.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i have the CHI as well. i price shopped and found it at a salon for $108. it''s the wholesale price. be careful, some salons make it up- way up!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jcrow - I can find the CHI on ebay for about $80-$85 with shipping so guess that''s not a bad price, huh?

Is your hair short or long?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
as long as it''s used. i know they have some kind of warrenty when purchased in the store. say it breaks, i think they replace it -no questions asked.

i''d say my hair is long. maybe 6+ inches from my shoulders.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GHD are the absolute best IMO, but maybe get a cheaper one and see how you get on first, then if you like them get the GHD later. Ceramic irons are said to be gentler on the hair rather than metal plated. Mine were 100 pounds here in the UK so they weren''t cheap!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ebay ones are supposed to be new. At least the pricing I have found is pretty much in line with everyone else. The salon sells one called Cricket as well but the stylists used the CHI line. Lorelei I can see where your brand would be the top of the line as it is the highest priced. I would definitely be wise to find a cheaper one to try and see if I like it.

Thanks ladies - you are the best!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
it took me a while to break down and buy the CHI. i had several imitations that just didn''t do anything.
it''s like comparing a temp setting to the real thing. i am so happy with my CHI purchase.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that''s always the dilemma. For the $25 one that you might run across, you could put that money toward the better one. You usually only get what you pay for!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I use the HAI iron--bigger than the one inch stick because I have tons of thick hair and it''s much easier for me to manage. I LOVE IT! I have super curly hair that I blow out and then go over it with the iron and it looks amazing. I agree that you should put some kind of product on before you use it because the heat destroys your hair and try not to use it every day. I bought mine a couple years ago and it was something like $95. I say spend the money and get a good one now--you won''t regret it!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a friend who might have some irons you could try out, or maybe your stylist might let you try hers? That way you can see how you can handle them then go for broke with a good pair.
31.gif
It is best to use them with section clips to work on the hair in smaller pieces rather than a lot at once, another tip! They can curve the hair well rather than straighten it if you want, it is all in the angle you use them and with practise you will get it. Is you hair quite short MGR? I remember from an earring shot it was?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei I have let my hair grow out a bit. It''s kind of a chin length layered bob now. I was thinking of going in and asking my stylist if I could try hers on myself first - that would at least give me some idea. If I decide to go with it, I''ll just go on and buy a good one.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a good length for straighteners and I think that is the best plan in asking your stylist to try hers. I think irons are ESSENTIAL for a really sleek bob, you just can''t get it without them!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE MY CHI! Sorry, I got carried away there. It even gets the mark from my ponytail out!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow - maybe this is my problem. I have one of the irons you can buy at any Target store and my hair, even though only slightly wavy to begin with, comes out kinda fried and not very sleek using my flatiron. It''s ceramic, but definitely not one of the pricey ones. I just always hesitated to go for the pricey ones because the ones I have I''m clearly not very good at using - I can never get my hair nice and sleek! I have hugely thick hair though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2006 2:51:06 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Wow - maybe this is my problem. I have one of the irons you can buy at any Target store and my hair, even though only slightly wavy to begin with, comes out kinda fried and not very sleek using my flatiron. It''s ceramic, but definitely not one of the pricey ones. I just always hesitated to go for the pricey ones because the ones I have I''m clearly not very good at using - I can never get my hair nice and sleek! I have hugely thick hair though.

I think the good ceramic ones are so worth it, I am told they distribute the heat more evenly than metal and are a lot kinder to the hair. I have to be careful with mine as it is quite curly and thick and can go frizzy, also it is coloured so I do find the ceramic are better. Also try a protective serum before you straighten, this gives extra protection and shine.

gracie007

Rough_Rock
I am on my second chi and they were both about 100..the first one broke--one of the hot iron parts fell off..and i noticed that the one i have now- it is loosening as well...I do love it though and will probably get a 3rd if this one breaks.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I use a Metropolis wet-to-dry flat iron and love it!! My hair is so thick that it normally takes 15-20 minutes to blow dry it and then another 20 minutes to straight iron it...with the wet-to-dry, I can do it all at the same time & save 15 to 20 minutes in the process....

Many people wonder if it fries my hair....it honestly doesn''t! My hair dresser loves how healthy my hair is and using the straight iron this way, I don''t have to wash my hair everyday; hence, I don''t have to straighten it everyday either..

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2006 3:22:09 PM
Author: AChiOAlumna
I use a Metropolis wet-to-dry flat iron and love it!! My hair is so thick that it normally takes 15-20 minutes to blow dry it and then another 20 minutes to straight iron it...with the wet-to-dry, I can do it all at the same time & save 15 to 20 minutes in the process....

Many people wonder if it fries my hair....it honestly doesn''t! My hair dresser loves how healthy my hair is and using the straight iron this way, I don''t have to wash my hair everyday; hence, I don''t have to straighten it everyday either..
Me likey this idea!!! Seriously - my hair still wouldn''t be dry after the 15 min blow dry either...so to combine the steps sounds very intriguing....where did you find your iron?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
sephora sells a wet/dry iron too. check out their site.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2006 3:38:11 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Me likey this idea!!! Seriously - my hair still wouldn''t be dry after the 15 min blow dry either...so to combine the steps sounds very intriguing....where did you find your iron?
I got mine from Ulta. But there are other brands you can get from topline stores, like Sephora as well....

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I love my Chi too!!! It was definitely worth it to spend the extra $$ for the quality. I also just upgraded to a $100 blow dryer, but totally worth it as well. My thick curly hair is straight & shiny in 1/2 the time it used to take w/ my Conair or whatever I was using. The serum is a good idea & I use the Aveda styling creme before blow drying, then a serum before I use the iron to finish.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
The Chi is worth every penny! And you can get it at the JC Penney salon for about $100.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2006 4:12:51 PM
Author: teebee
I love my Chi too!!! It was definitely worth it to spend the extra $$ for the quality. I also just upgraded to a $100 blow dryer, but totally worth it as well. My thick curly hair is straight & shiny in 1/2 the time it used to take w/ my Conair or whatever I was using. The serum is a good idea & I use the Aveda styling creme before blow drying, then a serum before I use the iron to finish.

speaking of dryers-- i''ve been eying that one sephora sells--

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2006 4:12:51 PM
Author: teebee
Did you get the Chi hairdryer?

Teebee - I love your wedding website! The wedding site and reception site are both beautiful!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
MGR,
I am late chiming in but I bought Ashley a CHI flat iron. She has very long hair and it has lots of wave to it. I figured that it was worth it as the other''s either broke or didn''t work well. She loves it .

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
I use the T3 Tourmaline blow drier, curling iron and flat iron and LOVE them! Got them for less than half price brand new on ebay. No way I would have paid full price! I had the Tru Ceramic pro iron and liked it but paid $100 and it broke in a few months
29.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have stubbon hair and cheaper flat irons just didn't get HOT enough. With the Chi (I got mine on folica.com) it is SO fast. I rarely have to go over it twice. With the cheaper ones I had to go over places 3-4 times. Such a pain! The Chi makes my hair so smooth and silky. I love that it is so thin too (maybe an inch wide). Works MUCH better than the wider irons.

ETA: I am not sure if I would risk buying one of ebay. I think it is worth a little more to know you are getting a new one with a warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results