shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t Decide!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
I need help deciding what I WANT! I''ve seen trillions of stones online, but not that many in person -- and I don''t know how to determine what matters the most to me, so I''m asking for others'' opinions. I have always been a big believer in going colorless or near colorless, and giving up clarity as long as the stone is eye-clean. Now I''m consider dropping my color restrictions a tad, but I''m wondering about some other things also -- like whether or not I MUST have an H&A stone, and what level of clarity I''m really happy with. Here are a few stones I''m considering.

First --
All have beautiful Idealscope images -- near perfect, and all score EX/EX/EX/VG on the Holloway scale. They are all also ID/ID or EX/EX in polish & symmetry, all have negligible flourescence, and all have pointed culets. All numbers/ratings are from AGS certs.

1.3, G, VS2, Round Ideal - Expert Selection
7.10-7.12 x 4.3
$9,900

1.264, G, SI1 (inclusions are very small and scattered around the edges -- looks to be eye-clean), Round Ideal Expert Selection
7.02-7.03x4.26
$7,075

1.282, H, VS1, Cut Above H&A
7.06-7.07x4.28
$8,986

1.26, G, VS2, Cut Above H&A
7.01-7.03 x 4.25
$10,397

1.278, H, VS1 Cut Above H&A
7.04-7.06 x 4.28
$8,915

I just can''t decide if I want to go down to an "H" in color -- I''ve always sworn I would never drop below a G! But what''s the real difference, I mean to someone with a keen eye? opinions? Also -- there is obviously a big price difference in the H&A stones above and the others, which are also excellent cuts (Expert Selection, right?). I have to decide very soon, and I can''t seem to make up my mind! The budget is really 10k, so that knocks out the 4th one unless I could get the price down below 10k......but it''s also my favorite -- the idealscope is just unbelievable perfect, and it''s "G", not "H" (yes, that line I drew is making me crazy), and it''s VS2 -- a definite eye-clean by AGS standards.

Would love some opinions on this!! help!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well I have an H with flour, and it is white from all angles (side tilted etc.), I have never seen a hint of yellow, cream whatever. My stone is a 1.27 RB expert selction and I LOVE IT. I have no issues with it whatsoever, maybe I`m of no help whatsoever, but I can reassure you that I don`t have a problem with the H color.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Would you be willing to share a picture?!

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I personally decided that I would rather have a higher color eye-clean SI1 than a lower color VS2, but I am very color sensitive - I could tell the difference between an F and a G, and I can definitely see the color in an H.

smappraisal

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I would like to offer an axiom that might help you decide what''s important in the stone you choose........."the magic of the stone is in the make". In my opinion, after the very best make (cut) you can afford, put your money into the G thru E color ranges(D is so white it loses the beauty of spectral color). Then, if there are funds still remaining put them into improving the eye clean SI2 clarity. Hope this helps your decision making.

Stephen Marino, GG
Professional Appraiser
Boston & vicinity

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Nice choice ChooChoo, I like your recommendation.

This AGS for 8k looks very nice, it may even look better to the naked eye than the 9K or 10K options.

Save the 2K and invest it in an equity mutual fund...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results