shape
carat
color
clarity

Heart shapes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to make yet another thread, I am sure you''re all getting sick of me.
7.gif

My best friend has been with her BF for almost 6 years and even though they know they''re getting married one day, they didn''t talk about an actual engagement until I told her I was to be engaged soon. I guess the fact that my FI and I have been dating less than a year and already engaged made her want to get engaged too.

I''ve already steered her away from chain stores (she was considering Friendman''s) and told her what I learned her about the 4 Cs and the different setting styles and stone shapes, especially the ones not usually carried by mall stores. She''s decided she wants a stone with a lot of sparkle and she really likes heart shapes, pears and marquises.

I''ve read a lot about pears and marquises thanks to PS, but found next to nothing on the heart shape. Does anyone have any info on those for me? Pros and cons? And if you could suggest another shape she might be happy with, that''d be great too.

Thanks for tolerating me again.
5.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I tried to see what GOG had on hearts, but nothing would load. Is anyone else have problems with their site?
33.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Awww, XChick03, we couldn''t be sick of you!! You just got a beautiful ring!
9.gif
2.gif
Seriously, the more the merrier, right?! Hmmm, I guess I don''t have any info on heart shapes, just personal opinion. Mainly I just wanted you to feel welcome again!

Obviously there are people who like heart shapes, like your friend. And I don''t want to steer her away from one, because I don''t even know how they perform. But to me it seems that they would loose their appeal over time because they are not a classic shape. A pear is more unusual, but still classic. Personally I''d go that route. Or if she really likes the shape of the heart and finds out that they don''t perform as well as she''d like, perhaps she could get heart side stones to a round center. Have fun sharing all your new found knowledge with her
9.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2006 1:53:04 PM
Author: XChick03
I tried to see what GOG had on hearts, but nothing would load. Is anyone else have problems with their site?
33.gif
Ya , it won''t load for me either....

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Heart shapes are somewhat difficult to find and even more difficult to judge by the numbers. I like heart shapes but to me they are a little bit more appropriate for a young bride. Fine when your friend is 22 but maybe a little less fine when she''s 42. Nonetheless, if it''s a heart she wants then she should get one. I''m sure GOG or any of the vendors would be happy to help her find exactly what she''s looking for. As an alternative, I would suggest maybe a fat pear shaped diamond.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would have to agree with pearcrazy...the heart shape is not one of those enduring shapes and one could fast grow out of the novelty of it. also as she mentioned, they are usually harder to find and not cut very well.
14.gif
a pear would be a great alternative..perhaps even a marquies.

coconut

Shiny_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-heart-shape.11576/=
Thought this ring was really cute.
I also have thought of getting a heart shape way before I got engaged, and went to check them out.
I don''t think you can find as much variety with the heart shapes than other fancies, like cushion, or radiant.
The only difference I saw were the various width:height ratios. I personally thought fatter, wider heart shaped looked good in rings, but it''s a personal preference, and I think the Tiffany''s heart shaped ering is a good place to start in terms of looking at the shape of the stones.

--------
I don''t have or know any detailed specs, but I can tell you my personal experience from 3 years ago.
I was in college and was clueless about diamonds.
First of all, not many jewelers carried them and I only got to see two heart shaped diamond rings, and one loose stone, all by chance. One from BBB up in Boston, One from Tiffany''s, One from a booth in diamond exchange in NJ

One I saw in BBB was very sparkly, I remember it being a little under a carat. It was a perfect heart shape, not wide or thin, set in a thin platinum or white gold band. You could tell it was a nice stone. It sparkled even more than some of the other stones there. I must say it was the best looking heart stone I''d seen.

Another one was from Tiffany''s and here''s the link if you want a picture.
http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/engagement_fancy_ring.asp?ring=heart&
It looked exactly like that, but from my memory, the band seemed thinner. It could be from the blown up picture. This one didn''t sprakle as much compared to the pear or the oval rings near it. I don''t remember the size, I think it was around 1ct. but it wasn''t really appealing as the BBB one. Your friend can go to a nearby Tiffany''s and actually have them bring in a heart ring to view. Even if she doesn''t purchase I think it''s a good representation. I thought the heart chaped at Tiffany''s was fatter than the one from BBB.

The last one I saw was from a small booth in Diamond exchange in NJ. it was loose, and reserved for a customer, but the guys showed it to me for fun. I don''t remember the exact size, but from memory, it seemed about 2 or slightly bigger. I don''t know if it was the lighting, but honestly, it was so dull, it just looked like a piece of glass to me. It was also very wide/fat/full. This is when I decided to look at other shapes.

Blah.... sorry I''m not much of a help lol..

JZMINBNEE

Shiny_Rock
I THINK IF REMEMBER CORRECTLY JOHN LENNON GAVE YOKO ONO A BEAUTIFUL 4 CT HEART SHAPE DIAMOND AROUND THE TIME DOUBLE FANTASY CAME OUT W/ THEIR STARTING OVER SONG BEING POPULAR. I THOUGHT THAT WAS VERY ROMANTIC! I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FOND OF HEART SHAPE DIAMONDS.

JONI

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone.

Coconut, the one from Tiffany''s is actually what inspired my friend to want a heart. I''ve noticed they are very difficult to find and I really don''t know anything about the ideal numbers for one. I''ve showed her a few very nice pears and she does really like those, and I''ve also shown her ovals and a few rectangular cushions. I just wish I knew more about heart shapes so I could help her more. I know she wants something with a lot of sparkle, so I am guessing since hearts aren''t usually cut very well, they''d probably be a little dead...especially compared to my RB.
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results