shape
carat
color
clarity

Mystery Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
When my mother passed away, I found a ring while going through her jewelry (mostly junk). The ring is an old, worn gold setting, which by the look of it might be late 1800s/early 1900s. The stone is a good size, about 9 mm in diameter, and color change. In incandescent light it shows up purple, and in flourescent light it shows up an unusual shade of blue. It''s round, and I think the cut would be called checkerboard. I''m pretty sure it''s not glass, because it''s not clear like glass and the stone itself shows no wear, no chips or scratches, thought the setting is worn. I only had one jeweler I had a relationship with, but they closed up shop. Does anyone have any suggestions for where I can take this in the San Diego area to find what kind of stone it is and if it''s natural or synthetic? Even if it''s worthless I''m interested in taking it out of the old gold setting and making a pendant. It''s very pretty and I can wear it as a remembrance of my mother. I''d post a picture but my camera doesn''t have a macro feature. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard Sherwood's post on this thread may just apply. I would have guessed color change synthetic sapphire. Well, natural color change sapphire could be, but the cut is rather tell-tale - it is allot more common on synthetics.

My 2c
34.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Very fascinating because my Mother has two rings that fit that exact description! The rings are exactly as you describe it, checkerboard cut, color change, in a gold setting. I'll have to check with her, but I think she got them from her mother. Would you mind posting a picture?

Thanks!

Also, we believe it to be a synthetic alexandrite, but that's merely a guess.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t figured out the macro setting on my digital cameras either, but have been able to get some pics posted anyway...can you try it so we can see SOMETHING? I''m dying here wanting to take a look at the stone!
emteeth.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 11:31:22 PM
Author:portoar
When my mother passed away, I found a ring while going through her jewelry (mostly junk). The ring is an old, worn gold setting, which by the look of it might be late 1800s/early 1900s. The stone is a good size, about 9 mm in diameter, and color change. In incandescent light it shows up purple, and in flourescent light it shows up an unusual shade of blue. It''s round, and I think the cut would be called checkerboard. I''m pretty sure it''s not glass, because it''s not clear like glass and the stone itself shows no wear, no chips or scratches, thought the setting is worn. I only had one jeweler I had a relationship with, but they closed up shop. Does anyone have any suggestions for where I can take this in the San Diego area to find what kind of stone it is and if it''s natural or synthetic? Even if it''s worthless I''m interested in taking it out of the old gold setting and making a pendant. It''s very pretty and I can wear it as a remembrance of my mother. I''d post a picture but my camera doesn''t have a macro feature. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks!
Just going from this, it could be a synthetic alexandrite-like sapphire. If it is it''s not worth anything. Take it to any gemologist and he/she should be able to tell you in a minute. There should not be any charge if that is what it is.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The purple under incandescent to blue under fluorescent color change would indicate synthetic "alexandrite like" color change sapphire, as John suggested. The stones are often mistaken for amethyst because their purple mode closely resembles it.

This synthetic was first made in 1945, and sold a lot in the Middle East, particularly Turkey and Israel, with quite a bit sold in Mexico as well.

The Middle Eastern mountings often have an antique look to them, although they're not.

It's an easy and relatively inexpensive gem ID which any gemologist with a refractometer can perform.

path914

Rough_Rock
If you would like, I am in the SD area and could test it out for you. I am a GG student at GIA and always like to see new things. Send me a message if you are interested and I''m sure we can figure something out.

Paul

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Portoar, how about some pics??
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results