shape
carat
color
clarity

$4000 engagement budget please help a newbie

archimedes310

Rough_Rock
So my first post here was not a very good one and I apologize for the waste of time. I am looking to spend about 4000 for an engagement ring but have room to work with for the right deals. Looking to get a loose round diamond and so far from my research here it seems that an h quality vs1 is the standard? I have looked at hundreds of diamonds but to be honest cannot really tell the difference between most as none seem to fall in the correct h and a range. Please help narrow my search down and links would be appreciated. I am not cheap but would still like a good deal of possible. She is interested in a pave setting if that helps as well as .75 or higher although may be unrealistic. Thank you in advance.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no "standard." The preferred color grade has a lot has to do with your girlfriend's tolerance for color in her diamond. Some people are very sensitive to minor variations in color, others can't see minor variations, others can see them but either don't care or prefer a bit of warmth. The clarity grade is a bit less subjective - it's a question of whether the inclusions can be seen (and at what magnification) and whether they interfere with how the diamond performs, or returns light. And - it has to do with your budget, and how much diamond you hope to get for your money.

You haven't mentioned what shape diamond you're looking for, so I'm going to assume it's a round.

If I were working with a limited budget (and indeed I am for purchases like this!) I'd consider going up to an AGS- or GIA- rated I or even a J for color. My earrings are J's (the smaller studs) and I's (the slightly larger studs) and I consider both to be acceptably "white."

I think most PS'ers will agree that VS1 is overkill if you're trying to maximize size within a given budget. Most SI1 stones will be eye-clean, and in most cases the inclusions in an SI-1 stone will not interfere with a diamond's performance. There will be exceptions, however, so you need to look at photos and grading reports carefully - and ask here for help if you have concerns about a specific stone.

BTW you need to be more careful with both color and clarity if you're considering a step-cut stone - an emerald cut or asscher cut, for example.

archimedes310

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the quick responses. You are correct when assuming a round shape diamond and the 4000-4500 is for the loose diamond, the band will be separate. I doubt she has a keen eye for diamonds as far as color is concerned so anything that is eye clean would work if it is on the whiter side.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
archimedes310|1445023010|3938991 said:
Thank you for the quick responses. You are correct when assuming a round shape diamond and the 4000-4500 is for the loose diamond, the band will be separate. I doubt she has a keen eye for diamonds as far as color is concerned so anything that is eye clean would work if it is on the whiter side.

What's your whole budget?

archimedes310

Rough_Rock
To be honest I have not set one as I would like to keep options open dependent on the deal. That being said I would feel comfortable with 6000 and under.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
All dependent upon your fiance to be's personal choice. I would agree with dropping down to an SI1is safe. Still great diamonds and probably will be eye clean with the vendor assistance.

PPs gave a lot of helpful advice also about color and cuts. Some shapes show more "warmth". As well as, some cuts also appear larger than others. For example, a RB presents larger than a princess face up.

Diamonds are so personal, in my opinion. So is jewelry in general. I have a great friend who went down in the size of her diamond, to go up in color. I gasped!!!! Her "I" was fine with me! :) Personal.

I would recommend purchasing online with one of the *recommended* vendors. You will get more bang for your buck this way.

Good luck! Come back and ask a lot of questions. There are some fantastic people on this board that can give you awesome advice!

I bet if you get hooked up with the right online vendor, you would be surprised what you could get for your budget. I definitely found that shopping online, through the Pscope recomended vendors (only-safety is there also) saved me a lot of money compared to the local brick & mortar. No tax also depending

I feel with your budget and some smart shopping, you are going to get a knockout ring!

archimedes310

Rough_Rock
Well then that was quite the waste of 3 hours for me. Could you find a few you would recommend?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
archimedes310|1445041045|3939066 said:
Well then that was quite the waste of 3 hours for me. Could you find a few you would recommend?

This will pay off in the end! Hang in there! I've had many moments of your current frustration. :( You are definitely in the right hands here on PS. Keep active , and the folks who know a lot, will guide you where you need to go! Best support ever is on PS!

archimedes310

Rough_Rock
No worries there thank you for the encouragement. I will stay active no doubt and yield to the more knowledgeable on this board in this decision. I was unable to see the Nile diamond as it goes to their homepage. Keep em coming.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
archimedes310|1445041782|3939072 said:
No worries there thank you for the encouragement. I will stay active no doubt and yield to the more knowledgeable on this board in this decision. I was unable to see the Nile diamond as it goes to their homepage. Keep em coming.

My phone does the same thing, :rolleyes:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

archimedes310

Rough_Rock
It came back eye clean without a doubt and I really dig the crossover setting. The diamond shows as f clarity but I was under the impression an I is the same to an untrained eye. Do you think holding out for a lower clarity for bigger carat is worth it? How will a higher clarity benefit the diamond? I'm pretty sure fire will be the most noticeable to her.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
archimedes310|1445050380|3939119 said:
It came back eye clean without a doubt and I really dig the crossover setting. The diamond shows as f clarity but I was under the impression an I is the same to an untrained eye. Do you think holding out for a lower clarity for bigger carat is worth it? How will a higher clarity benefit the diamond? I'm pretty sure fire will be the most noticeable to her.
F vs I is color, not clarity.

Though both will appear white. An f will absolutely appear whiter, even to the untrained eye.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
archimedes310|1445054399|3939132 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.93-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-700989

Any thoughts? This was the latest recommendation even though I believe the previously posted may be the one.

This one just looks odd to me. It very well may mean because its from one of their overseas people its in different lighting, but the symmetry seems off. But the cert is good so I do think maybe it's the lighting.

The fluor might be too strong, someone would have to tell you if there is any perceivable haze from the fluorescent

For my money I'd pay the extra few hundred for the f, but I can understand wanting to save

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
archimedes310|1445103608|3939306 said:
http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/1.13-carat-i-si1-excellent-round-cut-diamond-gid-538328.html

Some people have concerns with putting an I in platinum. However, i can't see the certbut if that holds up that seems like the price is too good to be true.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1445109665|3939340 said:
archimedes310|1445103608|3939306 said:
http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/1.13-carat-i-si1-excellent-round-cut-diamond-gid-538328.html

Some people have concerns with putting an I in platinum. However, i can't see the certbut if that holds up that seems like the price is too good to be true.
Clarity based on clouds - I would avoid this one, it will likely look hazy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results