shape
carat
color
clarity

$40,000 For This? I Just Don’t Get It.

S

SallyB

1594226864612.jpeg

It’s a 3.0 carat diamond that looks like a piece of glass to me. Listed at $39,000. Somewhat unique? Yes. But to me it defeats the purpose of what a diamond should be. Agree? Disagree?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I know the vendor by the photo!

I don't get it, but does it have super high specs? There is a market obviously or she wouldn't price it like that.

I would never buy it though.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a portrait cut diamond. They are specifically cut to look like a window. I’m certain the reason for the elevated cost is the color and clarity; portraits need to be nearly flawless to achieve that cut.

S

SallyB

G VS1

I can take this post down if anyone thinks I should. Then again maybe this is free advertising for her!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband has a few friends that couldn’t imagine why he wanted to marry me.
I think it’s similar.
Lid for every pot, is that the saying?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There's a saying out here in fly-over country.

"There's a butt for every saddle."

Obviously this isn't for everyone, but if it's what you want you're not likely to find others to choose from. $39k may be a bargain.

S

SallyB

I understand what everyone is saying. But wouldn’t a CZ of the same size and and cut look identical to the naked (layman’s) eye?

It doesn’t capitalize on the unique properties of a diamond (aside from hardness) IMO. It seems like something that costs as much as some BMWs should.

H

Horsegirl76

I was lucky enough to to view the Jewels of the Maharaja in San Francisco last year. There were many diamonds cut just like this. They must have valued them in that fashion, but, I too, thought it looked like glass. Then again, the men wore long strands of pearls, so certainly different than our current culture jewelry trends.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see it as a collector diamond. Perhaps for somebody who has a collection of diamonds and is looking for something unique. If I had multiple diamonds in different cuts, and money was not an option, I could see the appeal of this diamond. I would wear it as a pendant on a very long chain, and gaze at the world through it.

LittleKite

Shiny_Rock
I showed this to my husband, he said you can put a picture in and make a ring out of it. Not a bad idea, but certainly not my cup of tea.:roll:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I would bezel it and want another for an earring....but unless someone drops $80,000 in my lap I have much higher priorities. And some of them don't even involve jewelry. :lol:

I was lucky enough to to view the Jewels of the Maharaja in San Francisco last year. There were many diamonds cut just like this. They must have valued them in that fashion, but, I too, thought it looked like glass. Then again, the men wore long strands of pearls, so certainly different than our current culture jewelry trends.

Are you sure those weren’t polki diamonds? Because I know that polki as a cut (the flat uncut diamond) was extremely popular in India traditionally (have attached a picture of a pair of polki earrings to show what I mean). They are almost like rose cuts I believe but even less faceted (in the pic they have closed foil backs which is how almost all polki is/was set).

Though, polki is a lot cheaper than this diamond in the pic by OP, the diamond in the original post is obviously of super high clarity and a lot of work has gone into it to make it look like a mirror. I’m not tempted to buy though - I think 39k could buy me a whole lot of things I want much more :D

513E2219-67A9-4083-9BA0-C8581182BB61.jpeg

H

Horsegirl76

Are you sure those weren’t polki diamonds? Because I know that polki as a cut (the flat uncut diamond) was extremely popular in India traditionally (have attached a picture of a pair of polki earrings to show what I mean). They are almost like rose cuts I believe but even less faceted (in the pic they have closed foil backs which is how almost all polki is/was set).

Though, polki is a lot cheaper than this diamond in the pic by OP, the diamond in the original post is obviously of super high clarity and a lot of work has gone into it to make it look like a mirror. I’m not tempted to buy though - I think 39k could buy me a whole lot of things I want much more :D

No, I saw a few that “looked” maybe not “cut” exactly like the OP’s photo. Either way, my mother and I both commented that they looked exactly like glass. But, perhaps my memory evades me. It was just what I was immediately reminded of when I saw the picture.

513E2219-67A9-4083-9BA0-C8581182BB61.jpeg

@Horsegirl76 i tried to quote you but it won’t show up:

Glowy glass is what high quality polki looks like (my picture was from the internet so it wasn’t of very good quality, cloudy polki) so it’s possible it was polki! I’m going to do some more research into this now, it seems really cool to me. I adore polki. Thank you!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Things which are very scarce may have asking prices which depend on their rarity Even in spite of rather light demand, for the few who want something totally different, there may be a willingness to pay for the unique character of something most of us would just not be bothered with. If you search for similar quality and type items, you won't find any ready supply. It might take days or years to find a home for such an item. I have owned a few similar ones, but never such a large and high quality one. Being inventive on how to use it. That's going to be a big challenge.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not for me, however, each to their own.

DK :))

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It seems as the cut is becoming more popular. I see someone shared this too.. :D

My choice would certainly be this over some of the "salt and pepper" diamonds I've seen lately. I think the Single Stone setting is stunning. Different isn't for everyone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results