shape
carat
color
clarity

4 Prong vs 6 Prong Super Ideal diamond

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by emipastor21, Aug 23, 2019.

1. emipastor21
    Rough_Rock

by emipastor21 » Aug 23, 2019
    Hi,

I encountered an article discussing advantages of four prong vs six prong (in my case its for 1.65 carats) (https://beyond4cs.com/engagement-ring/4-prong-setting-vs-6-prong/). It mentioned some of the advantages for a four prong were "One of the benefits that the 4-prong setting is that there is a lesser amount of metal coverage on the diamond. This allows more light to enter the diamond and enables a well-cut diamond to perform at its best."

I was wondering whether this made a noticeable difference from what people have seen?

Thanks!

LvM likes this.

2. hypermom
    Shiny_Rock

by hypermom » Aug 23, 2019
    I think in terms of performance of super ideal diamonds the most important thing is keeping it clean. So choosing a setting that allows you to access the sides of the diamond for cleaning would be important.

3. LLJsmom
    Ideal_Rock

by LLJsmom » Aug 23, 2019
    Depends on how you see things. 4 prongs seem more square to me, and 6 more round. That’s what registers to my eyes when I look at them. What about you?

Pimberly, Dancing Fire and lovedogs like this.
  4. lovedogs
    Ideal_Rock

by lovedogs » Aug 23, 2019
    I agree--I think the most important part is keeping a stone clean and knowing your own preferences. For some reason I dislike 4 prong settings and love 6-prong. I think I am similar to @LLJsmom in that my eyes see 4 prongs as "square", and I don't really love square shapes for a round diamond. Obviously that's a personal preference and there's no "right" answer. I know that sometimes if people have stones under .75ct that 6 prongs can look a bit overwhelming in terms of stone:metal ratio, but again it depends on preference and the size of your diamond.

LvM likes this.

5. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Dancing Fire » Aug 23, 2019
    Yup, I changed my wife's 4 prong to a 6 prong with no regrets.

IMG_2958.JPG
    image003.jpg
    image004.jpg

lovedogs likes this.