carat
color
clarity

4 Prong vs 6 Prong Super Ideal diamond

emipastor21

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi,

I encountered an article discussing advantages of four prong vs six prong (in my case its for 1.65 carats) (https://beyond4cs.com/engagement-ring/4-prong-setting-vs-6-prong/). It mentioned some of the advantages for a four prong were "One of the benefits that the 4-prong setting is that there is a lesser amount of metal coverage on the diamond. This allows more light to enter the diamond and enables a well-cut diamond to perform at its best."

I was wondering whether this made a noticeable difference from what people have seen?

Thanks!

Reactions: LvM

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I think in terms of performance of super ideal diamonds the most important thing is keeping it clean. So choosing a setting that allows you to access the sides of the diamond for cleaning would be important.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree--I think the most important part is keeping a stone clean and knowing your own preferences. For some reason I dislike 4 prong settings and love 6-prong. I think I am similar to @LLJsmom in that my eyes see 4 prongs as "square", and I don't really love square shapes for a round diamond. Obviously that's a personal preference and there's no "right" answer. I know that sometimes if people have stones under .75ct that 6 prongs can look a bit overwhelming in terms of stone:metal ratio, but again it depends on preference and the size of your diamond.

Reactions: LvM

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree--I think the most important part is keeping a stone clean and knowing your own preferences. For some reason I dislike 4 prong settings and love 6-prong. I think I am similar to @LLJsmom in that my eyes see 4 prongs as "square",
Yup, I changed my wife's 4 prong to a 6 prong with no regrets.

IMG_2958.JPG
image003.jpg
image004.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results