shape
carat
color
clarity

4 or 6 prong?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
I was wondering if going to a 6 prong setting instead of a 4 has any benefits other than security? Does it make the stone look any bigger? I''ve heard that a round brilliant in a 6 prong looks bigger than the same RB in a 4 prong.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
If you run an archive search, you'll discover a few threads debating/discussing this very topic.
1.gif

6 prongs should, in theory, be more secure. If you have 4, and you loosen or break one, you only have 3 remaining to protect & hold the stone. As for the visuals, it's entirely subjective. I chose 6 because I think they make an RB look round, like they're supposed to. But 4 looks nice too. I think 6 prongs make the diamond look bigger - some would say that 4 prongs show more of the diamond...you say tomayto, I say tomahto...
1.gif

Whatever you decide, I'd strongly recommend getting your prongs done in platinum, even if the rest of the ring is yellow or white gold, for added strength.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it mostly depends on the size of your stone. If it's under 1c, I wouldn't do a 6 prong, it makes the stone look smaller by covering more of the stone. I am a 4 prong fan though, I would always go 4 prong, even on something like a 3c.
2.gif
Sometimes it just is personal preference too! Take a look at some pictures and see what tickles your fancy. Good luck!

barry

Shiny_Rock
Depends. If you're going with Platinum which is a sturdier metal, go with 4 prongs. Gold, go with 6 prongs.

Your other consideration should be that with 4 prongs you are making
more surface area of the diamond visible which is the objective of any setting; compliment the diamond, don't overwhelm it.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
I have a 3 ct. and I have 4 prongs. I have a very solid, well made setting and my diamond is very secure in the ring. I love the way the 4 prong looks. I was never a fan of the 6 prong. Before I had the platinum setting, my stone was set in a 4 prong 18 ct. yellow gold setting. The four prongs were I assume white gold and the stone was very secure. I think on a smaller stone, the 6 prong would perhaps make the ring look bigger. The larger the stone, the more of it I like to see!!!.

I guess it is a personal choice. Whatever you do, make sure your setting and prongs a solid and well made . I tried on a 3 ct in a thinner setting and felt like the ring was going to fall apart! Just my 2cents!

BigB8405

Rough_Rock
It depends on the size of the stone, and how sure you are about not being careless with the ring. If you buy a 4 prong and one of the prongs breaks off, bye bye diamond. I, however, am a fan of the less common 8 prong setting. It's like a 4 prong, but double pronged on each side, giving the look of a 4 prong, but with added security. Plus, it makes the stone look even bigger(always a plus
2.gif
). If you look closely at my icon, you can kind of get the idea. It's more of a personal choice than anything.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm a four prong fan. I like to see more of the diamond. Also, if you rotate the prongs North, S,E & W the stone will appear less square.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
I too am a big fan of 8 prongs, but I thought that it tended to "square" off a round diamond, so I was looking into 6 prongs instead.

F&I: I'd never thought of rotating the prongs to decrease the square appearance. What a neat idea. Have you actually seen a diamond set like that? Are there any websites that you've come across that have pics? I wonder if that would work with 8 prongs - I really like that look!!

NY SPARKLE

Rough_Rock
It's a matter of personal preference. I like the split prong look, but that is because I am a fan of antique settings. Look around at different prong settings and choose the one you love. If the ring is set properly you should not have a problem with 4 prongs.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results