shape
carat
color
clarity

4 or 6 prong setting for a half carat Diamond solitaire?

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Hoping to get your opinion on whether a 4 or 6 prong Tiffany style setting would maximise the size of a half carat diamond?

Also, is it possible to have the stone set slightly higher in the setting and would this make it more noticible too?

My diamond is stunning but just want to make sure I show it off to its full potential! :))

PS: Will a thinner band make the diamond look biggger than a thicker one?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1/2 carat set in 4 prongs. I personally think 6 prongs would overwhelm it unless it was done with amazing prongs.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I love a six prong for a round diamond, but that is just me. I have many friends that have a half and under with six prongs, and it doesn't overwhelm their diamonds.

Oh, and I would advise against setting it high, to me it is just more likely to get damaged, and caught on stuff. The sparkle will be noticed low or high.

Here are two settings from BN if you click on recently purchased it has pictures of both with .50 and under

http://www.bluenile.com/solitaire-engagement-ring-white-gold_19787

http://www.bluenile.com/solitaire-engagement-ring-white-gold_19788

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look of 6 prongs! It also makes me feel more "secure" with the 2 extra prongs.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
IMO a half bezel adds the most size! Or a full bezel even.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a 1/2 ct and had it in a 4 prong. I picked that to let in more light and the jeweler assured me it was plenty secure. I tried it in the 4 prong and 6 prong before I had it mounted and the 6 prong seemed to overwhelm it.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
To answer your question on the band...I think a thinner band does make the diamond look bigger (to me)

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Originally, I had my .67 pt ering diamond in a six prong setting. I liked it, but eventually felt that it sort of hid the stone behind the prongs. When I reset, I considered a four prong, but still worried that it wouldn't be as safe. (I had one of the six prongs break off on me a few years before, but the stone was firmly in place, thank goodness.) So, I went with and octet head, which has double prongs in each of four corners. I love it.

Or, if you don't like the octet, go ahead and get the four prong, just be sure to have your setting checked by your jeweler regularly. He or she can tell you if the prongs are wearing down to a dangerous point and you can have it fixed before you have trouble. 2010-5-4%20014.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kae kae - does this gorgeous reset have a thread of its own???????

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a ring that's 0.45 carat with six prong micro pave setting. I prefer six prongs. As long as the prongs are delicate, it should be fine. I can barely see the prongs if I look at the diamond face on.

AndGabe

Rough_Rock
I currently have a half carat diamond that's set in a half bezel setting. It definitely makes the stone look bigger, but I'm not too crazy about the thicker shank on my setting. I think four prongs would look great paired with a thinner band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results