carat
color
clarity

4 ct diamond heirloom... too big?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The ring looks very well on your hand not "too big" at all. And as for the cut quality--only PS'ers would even think about that. :devil: Wear it in health and happiness.

cheer--Sharon

I agree. I had family diamonds reset, but would never consider a recut. I think the original cuts are historically accurate to the time period, and have their own unique charm.

thaifood122

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to say that I can see what you all mean by DSS! I don't even have a ring yet but I was flipping through pictures this morning and the 1.5 ct sample rings I tried on now look super tiny! I'm finding myself already preferring larger sizes Looking more likely that I'll stick with the beautiful boulder and just wear a band professionally...

Thank you all so much for all of your input and sharing your experiences! I'm so thankful for all the support, comments, and suggestions! I'll be sure to post pictures again after we reset and I'm officially engaged in a few months!

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations - on your upcoming engagement AND that rock! I waited 26 years for my 4.3 OEC (avatar) ... and paid for it! I wear it 24/7 and since it's insured, I don't worry about it. If you are worried about what people will think ... it is an heirloom so it is not like you set out to be flashy! Besides, you will get DSS ... I keep thinking mine looks the same size as my original 1.68 until I bring out the original and put them next to each other. It just doesn't look that big any more. I need a 10 ct. LOL And please, please don't re-cut! It is gorgeous!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear it and rock it and when my DH and I had funds down the road I would get another honker from him that would be ALL mine. I would plan on passing the heirloom to my kids and they could do whatever they want with it, recut it, sell it, etc. The number of people that care will diminish over time. Kwim?

bpaul

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well...here are my two cents! The 4 ct. looks quite nice and white in the picture and I can imagine some simple but lovely settings for it, like a milgrain bezel setting. Can you take it and also get another ring? that could be a band of emerald or asscher cut stones totaling 1 to 2 carat TW, also in a milgrain setting - for every day wear. As for traveling overseas, it's best to have a moissy. Heirloom gem, in my opinion, is best left unaltered as that may offend the in-laws. You can always have it reset later. I agree with people about the strings that could be attached to it, but that is something I don't know about. Good luck and congratulations! I can help you with design if you like my ideas.
your a lovelly thoughtful sister

Before committing to a setting I would do more research. Lots of settings on PS to see. Try seeing if there is a low set setting that you like. The Tiffany setting can be kinda high unless you find a custom version that can construct a wider base for you. 4 carats can take up a lot of vertical space.

I agree, Tiffany settings are so passe and and too high, especially for such a large stone. Personally, I like flatter settings for rings that are to be worn many hours at a time. I don't even like halo settings, they are totally common now; it seems that 80% of engagement rings now are set in that way. In my sense of design uniqueness and originality are very important.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...here are my two cents! The 4 ct. looks quite nice and white in the picture and I can imagine some simple but lovely settings for it, like a milgrain bezel setting. Can you take it and also get another ring? that could be a band of emerald or asscher cut stones totaling 1 to 2 carat TW, also in a milgrain setting - for every day wear. As for traveling overseas, it's best to have a moissy. Heirloom gem, in my opinion, is best left unaltered as that may offend the in-laws. You can always have it reset later. I agree with people about the strings that could be attached to it, but that is something I don't know about. Good luck and congratulations! I can help you with design if you like my ideas.

I agree, Tiffany settings are so passe and and too high, especially for such a large stone. Personally, I like flatter settings for rings that are to be worn many hours at a time. I don't even like halo settings, they are totally common now; it seems that 80% of engagement rings now are set in that way. In my sense of design uniqueness and originality are very important.

Are you in the Trade? As all of your 11 posts are fishing for business, it seems... :think:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
**edited by moderator, please read the trade rules**

I think the reason @Alex T asked is because you have not identified yourself as trade and that is a rule on Pricescope. You must wear the trade badge if you are in the trade. Please read the rules before you continue posting. This is a wonderful community and welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Enjoy the huge stone! I received a lovely but much smaller family ring (1.65 ct) from my husband’s family and reset it into an engagement ring. I knew nothing about jewelry and the setting the jeweler selected wasn’t quite right and I never loved it but that’s another story. BUT - I also thought that it belonged in its original home so about 12 years after I first received it, I had it put back in the cocktail ring it came from. It just looks right there and I figured that it rightly belongs with a member of his family (we don’t have children). They would want the whole thing as it was, not as we made it.

Congrats on your upcoming engagement!

bpaul

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think the reason @Alex T asked is because you have not identified yourself as trade and that is a rule on Pricescope. You must wear the trade badge if you are in the trade. Please read the rules before you continue posting. This is a wonderful community and welcome.

Your advise is noted and appreciated. I am rather unaware of details of rules on Pricescope. I have been here a just a handful of times and didn't know that I need to identify as being in the trade. I will go and do the needful, though I'm happy to make suggestions and help people with their designing dreams free of charge. This is my passion and not my livelihood so I don't worry about the monetary angle. I still feel curious as to which of my post or statement constitutes as 'fishing for business' because I do want to know what I did wrong. Thanks...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your advise is noted and appreciated. I am rather unaware of details of rules on Pricescope. I have been here a just a handful of times and didn't know that I need to identify as being in the trade. I will go and do the needful, though I'm happy to make suggestions and help people with their designing dreams free of charge. This is my passion and not my livelihood so I don't worry about the monetary angle. I still feel curious as to which of my post or statement constitutes as 'fishing for business' because I do want to know what I did wrong. Thanks...

I didn't notice any post by you that was "fishing for business" as you write. Only that you hadn't yet identified as a member of the trade. Welcome to PS and I hope you stay and share your passion with us as we will with you. We are passionate about our gems here.

Drm1grl

Shiny_Rock
Let me share something a favorite jeweler said about an heirloom that really changed my perspective. I have a beautiful family ring from the 1800s. I thought it would look much better if it had better side diamonds than the single cuts in the ring so I took it in to have the single cuts replaced. Even though it would have been a lucrative project for my jeweler - he said,”Changing our those hand cut single cuts would be like painting over the smile on the Mona Lisa - that ring is a piece of history and the history is part of what makes the ring so important as both a piece of jewelry and a piece of art.” What he said touched me - and I didn’t touch the family ring. Since then, I have appreciated vintage jewelry in a new way. So - I keep my vintage jewelry as is - but also as I have gotten older, I have purchased a triple x diamond that has the latest technology. Each has its own charm and beauty. I think you should consider keeping the stone as is (in a setting that makes your heart sing!). Regardless, happiness and hugs to you. The ring is beautiful!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may sound bad, however, I believe I could do what I please to the pieces that used to belong to my mum that she has given me.
Even though I did not particularly like the two diamond pieces and would not consider wearing them as they were (the Ruby ring is fine), I would not sell them as they have sentimental value (I sold some of the pieces that were made/bought for me that I did not like as an adult at the same time when she bought the diamond pieces over 40 years ago).
I have repurposed the 6-stone carreé cut band into an 8-stone identity style bracelet with 2 bigger stones she bought from the same parcel as the rest intended for earrings. She saw the bracelet when I visited her last, and was pleased that I had found a way to wear the diamonds.
As for the near 1.9ct about H/VS MRB, it will be repurpose as a simple single stone open bangle so that I could wear it as often as I could.
Luckily, there is no long history associated with the pieces as they were all new when she bought them.
Before making any alterations to the family heirloom, I would strongly advise the OP to confirm if it is acceptable to recut the stone and reset it as she see fit. I would be particularly concerned about hurting the future SIL's feelings. She may not have an issue now, however, once it is recut and reset, it may be a different story as she may regret not keeping it for herself to make alterations to it to suit her taste and style. She might not have considered the possibility of altering it.
As for getting a smaller stone for daily wear, I wholeheartedly agree, as I do the same myself.
Good luck with your decision and congratulations in your forthcoming wedding.

DK :))

HHtv

Rough_Rock
My partner and I have been talking about getting engaged soon and looking at 1.5 to 2 ct rings set in a simple solitaire with me worrying about 2 CT’s being too large.

Well... over the holiday, he let it slip about the upcoming proposal and his family offered him a 4 carat heirloom diamond passed down from his grandparents. I tried it on and... I don’t know! I love it but am worried about wearing something so big and flashy as I’m only 30 and a graduate student. Should I accept this as “THE ring” and get a smaller moissanite in the 1.5 range for daily wear - wearing this one for special occasions? Accept it and wear it til I get used to it? Pass it up? What would you do?

If kept, I’m thinking of setting it in a simple platinum 6 prong band around 2.5 mm.

C12B9F4C-0E6D-4400-A30A-989CC2664819.jpeg

What a beauty!!!! I would wear that ring every day!
Age shouldn't be a reason to stop you from doing what makes you happy.

So many family heirlooms never manage to be passed down... my great grandmother had a massive old pear cut monster that sadly disappeared into the past.. so for me, i would love to be the custodian of an amazing family heirloom.

Anyways, enjoy and all the best!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results