shape
carat
color
clarity

4.6 ct concave cut Brandberg amethyst

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had this for several months now but never found the time to photograph it. Actually, I still don't have the time to take proper pictures but a few friends requested this and so here are 3 pictures. It is 4.6 carat concave faceted trillion that measures 12 x 12 x 7 mm with lots of lovely blue and red flash. I'm not sure what to do with it yet and this stone is in need of major cleaning. There is gunk I cannot rub off from the table so it looks fuzzy or filmy in the pictures. I do not have the time for any outdoor photography yet so these are under standard office CFLs.

indoor1.jpg

indoor2.jpg

indoor3.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!!!!! I long for an amethyst with that red and blue flash. I bought a Jackson's Crossroad amethyst which just has blue flash, and am not satisfied. You are one lucky girl. :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if it were mine, it would be in a ring!
congrats!

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1376520172|3503215 said:
if it were mine, it would be in a ring!
congrats!

+1 still not too big for me! :naughty: Enjoy - its beautiful!!! :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous saturation & flashes! A beauty -- thanks for sharing! Brandbergs are supposed to bring you extra special energy -- do you feel it?

--- Laurie

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous! :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Lovely! I've never heard of Brandbergs...thanks for educating me.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Y'know, high quality amethyst is sooo overlooked, but I'm sure you will have just started a rush on them! :D I can't wait to see your natural light shots. Good going, Chrono!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
4 words

Bezel/ high karat gold

I will post soon some inspirtation shots. :naughty:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1376535591|3503460 said:
4 words

Bezel/ high karat gold

I will post soon some inspirtation shots. :naughty:

Ooh, SB, you have THE BEST inspiration shots! Can't wait :naughty: :cheeky:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lisa,
I've been looking for a long time now for something with blue and red flash. My Uruguay amethysts have only red flash which is nice but I wanted some blue flash too. I checked out several JXR amethysts but none spoke to me. In the end, I knew I had to have an African amethyst in order to have it all. Check some of them out and you might just scratch that itch.

MZ,
You are a lady who isn't afraid to make a jewellery statement.

Jbkhere,
That was unexpected. Never knew you liked them big either. :tongue:

JF,
Never heard of this extra special energy. Perhaps I'll feel it once it is set and I get to wear it? I could have used lots of extra energy last night when I was totally wiped out by 8 pm.

CM,
Thanks!

Pregcurious,
Prior to this, I did not realize that Brandberg produced anything facetable. The country of origin is Namibia.

Minou,
Amethysts deserve much more recognition than it current receives. Long ago, only royalty wore them and the colours are so rich and glorious.

SB,
Roll out the inspiration pictures. High karat gold bezel sounds divine!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Ask and you saw receive!

_8837.jpg

_8838.jpg

_8839.jpg

_8840.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
A few more....

_8841.jpg

_8842.jpg

_8843.jpg

_8844.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
For trillions my favorite style is a bypass ring but I don't think it would work for your monster. Still I wanted to post in case anyone else like them!

_8845.jpg

chrnon9.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
for the win:

SB621's 2nd picture in first post of pictures BUT ditch the diamonds and make that in hammered high karat gold!

oh, yeah, rock that purple rock like there's no tomorrow! :cheeky:

18k for the prongs but you know that already....and i'd put an 18k bridge under it as well if I was worried about the rest of the setting because, of course the rest of the setting should be 22k. it would still be gorgeous in all 18k hammered gold as well......

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm....none of them speak to me for this stone. SB, keep them coming! I enjoy looking at them and as you know, trilliants designs aren't exactly a dime a dozen. I wonder why. :rolleyes:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a pretty stone, Chrono! And HUGE!

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
It's gorgeous! I know nothing about amethysts, but I've been passively looking at them. My twin daughters were born in February (on Leap Year Day 1984, no less!), and I'd like to make them some pendants. I'll keep looking, but let me know if you see some nice ones.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous amethyst, Chrono!!!! On my, it's huge and those flashes of color. High carat gold would be beautiful!!!!!!! I'll look through my setting inspiration folder,too- but I don't have nearly as many as SB!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few ideas, Chrono -- how do you see it? Ornate or spare, modern, retro?

_8854.jpg

_8855.jpg

_8856.jpg

_8857.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:
JF,
Never heard of this extra special energy. Perhaps I'll feel it once it is set and I get to wear it? I could have used lots of extra energy last night when I was totally wiped out by 8 pm.

Here's what one website says, Chrono -- looks like any sort of energy you need, your stone will provide. =)

Brandbergs quartz crystals often have amazing features, including enhydros (water bubbles), Lepidocrocite flecks (iron oxides), amethyst and smokeys, often with phantoms (milky areas that look like pyramids) and of course the fenster amethyst with pyramidial 'windows'.

Each crystal is pure high vibrational energy, each with the healing properties of quartz (amplification of positive energy), amethyst (calm, peace and activation of third eye chakra), fenster or window (looking within for answers) and enhydro which relates to achieving empathy for others, adaptability, change and metamorphosis of the self.

Brandbergs are very protective and in time can become like a wise old friend. Brandbergs may surface old issues for you to look at so that you can grow spiritually. Treated with the respect they deserve, they offer enormous benefits to anyone genuinely seeking to improve themselves.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila,
You know me by now; if the right one is available, I prefer larger over smaller. I've said it several times already that as one ages, it's easier to see big stones with these old eyes. :lol:

Indigoblue,
I did not know you were also looking for amethysts. It would be awesome to get a matching set. What type are you looking for? If you want something unique cut wise, you should take a look at Uli's liquid flower amethysts. He doesn't have any at the moment but I enjoy looking at his very unique gems anyway.
http://www.osirisgems.com/gems4
(second to last Uruguay amethyst)

PinkJewel,
Bring on the inspiration settings!

JewelFreak,
I don't have the faintest clue which style I prefer. Given the size of the stone, I think it should be a simpler design rather than ornate. I love Distract's Daniel M rose gold trilliant setting but I don't know if it will work for such a large stone. The citrine/topaz(?) is interesting although I'm not sure how I feel about having metal climbing over the stone and "blocking" my view. Hmmm....sounds like it's the right stone for me as I need LOTS of energy this week. For some reason, I've been feeling unusually tired all week.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You know, Chrono, I had exactly the same thought about that setting, with the gold extending over the stone, but liked the grace. Wonder if some version of that could be made, with the loops to the sides, "holding" the stone. Anyway, magic coming, according to the web, to you from your stone -- maybe you need to rub it like a genie's lamp or something. :lol:

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rub it until it is all smooth and shiny? :lol:
I recall once seeing these super interest prongs; they look like joined double prongs. I'm not sure if I can find it again but it was very unique and I think that will be super cool if I can pull it off for this stone. On second thoughts, maybe it's not a good idea due to the pointy corners? I know I saw a PSer have a custom setting with this type of prongs but the search eludes me.

yellow_20colored_20diamond_204.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty Chrono. I never knew you had a trillion amethyst. Do you remember mine? It was a big trillion like yours too, and I set it a long time ago.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
Your trillion checkerboard (?) amethyst remains one of my inspiration stones, together with AMGuy's numerous JXRs. It never occurred to me that yours and mine are coincidentally trilliants. Although this purchase is less than 3 months old, I've been looking passively for the last 2 years. It's strange how the right stone just jumps out at you unexpectedly. It's the same way when I was shopping for a few other stones as well. Interesting that none of those I looked at actively called out as THE one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1376624365|3504165 said:
TL,
Your trillion checkerboard (?) amethyst remains one of my inspiration stones, together with AMGuy's numerous JXRs. It never occurred to me that yours and mine are coincidentally trilliants. Although this purchase is less than 3 months old, I've been looking passively for the last 2 years. It's strange how the right stone just jumps out at you unexpectedly. It's the same way when I was shopping for a few other stones as well. Interesting that none of those I looked at actively called out as THE one.

Thanks Chrono. I had that set probably around 18 years ago, and it would cost me a fortune to set today. Like yours, it's a big stone and required a huge amount of gold, especially since the stone was also very deep.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I'm no help with settings for trillion-cuts. But my vote would be for something more modern. Gorgeous stone, Chrono!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Chrono,

I was afraid to look at this thread as I don't care for quantum cuts. However, this is a beautiful stone. What color!
Of course most of your choices are beautiful. I will wait for the stone to be set to see it it in all its glory.

Annette

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Chrono said:
Indigoblue,
I did not know you were also looking for amethysts. It would be awesome to get a matching set. What type are you looking for? If you want something unique cut wise, you should take a look at Uli's liquid flower amethysts. He doesn't have any at the moment but I enjoy looking at his very unique gems anyway.
http://www.osirisgems.com/gems4
(second to last Uruguay amethyst)
Thanks, Chrono. Those are unique cuts and would make great pendants. I am only passively looking at them now because my recent sapphire purchase broke the bank for a while. Plus amethysts are rarely mentioned around here. I figured they weren't all that popular, and that's why I never said that I was looking. They don't seem to be as expensive as most other colored stones. When my funds are replaced, I'll become more serious about my search. Besides, my daughters don't have another birthday until 2016. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results