shape
carat
color
clarity

3mm Men's Wedding Band?

jfmiii

Rough_Rock
do any men here (or women, do any of your husbands) weare a 3mm wedding band? i want something very simple and discreet but dont want something dainty. i have a 8-8.5cm long finger. is 3mm way too thin?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 3mm is too thin, personally. 4mm is a thin band for a man to me, and 6mm is about average, some are wider than that.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
My band is just over 3mm, my husband's is about 7mm, so I would say that 3mm is on the small side for a man, depending on your hand size. His band is the one all the way to the right, on the hand cradling a beer.

Slide67y671.jpg

And here's a size guide of smaller bands I did a while back. My finger is about 7.5 cm long and a size 6.
szieguidefeet.jpg

There are a few 4mm bands in the Mens EyeCandy folder: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mens-bling-eyecandy-folder.116617/ but you have to filter through. I'd agree that 6mm is a more average size for a narrower man's band.

ImDanny has a thin band, I think 4mm 18k yg from Cartier, but I couldn't find a hand shot.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
jfmiii|1358351019|3356838 said:
do any men here (or women, do any of your husbands) weare a 3mm wedding band? i want something very simple and discreet but dont want something dainty. i have a 8-8.5cm long finger. is 3mm way too thin?

Why don't you go to your local jewelry store and try out bands in a whole range of widths to figure out the one that works best for you? I understand wanting the thinnest, most unobtrusive, yet still masculine band.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH has HUGE hands, so he wanted a 6mm. His friend has TINY hands for a dude, and wears a 4mm and it looks good. But I think a 3mm might get lost.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
The band on my engagement ring is 2.7 mm and I can't imagine something near that size on a man. I would go for at least 4mm.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think more important than your finger length is your actual ring size. My DH has (apparently) pretty small fingers for a dude, with his ring being sized to a 6.25-6.5. He wears a 5mm band. Also, why do you want something so simple/discreet? Is it because you don't like the feel of a heavier ring? There are titanium and other lighter ring options if that's the case.

jfmiii

Rough_Rock
rubybeth said:
I think more important than your finger length is your actual ring size. My DH has (apparently) pretty small fingers for a dude, with his ring being sized to a 6.25-6.5. He wears a 5mm band. Also, why do you want something so simple/discreet? Is it because you don't like the feel of a heavier ring? There are titanium and other lighter ring options if that's the case.

tbh, i dont even want to wear a ring. i wear a watch and that is it. im not a jewelry person. i think i could convince my fiance that i really dont want to wear one, but she has said it is important to her, so i agreed to wear one. i dont like yellow gold and figure that plat or palladium would be discreet and was thinking 3-4.5mm. but it is sounding like 3mm would be really dainty on my finger. i like the lucida at tiffany and they have that in 3 or 4.5mm, which is why im asking. i just wished they made it in palladium or even WG! $1600 is expensive for a 4.5mm plat band!

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Not wear one? You are joking, right? To me, that is just disrespectful. Any woman looking at you (who may be interested) will then think you're single. Not good (especially for your poor wife). Anyway, in regards to the ring, I really think it should be at least 4mm wide. A 3mm ring would look quite feminine in my opinion, but to each their own! Good luck on your decision!

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
Hey OP: Here is a picture of my 4mm, comfort fit, half-round, platinum band, it is size 10. I am 5'10 and 175 lbs. I think it looks balanced on my hand. I did not like 5 or 6mm, thought they looked too clunky for me. They also make them in 4.5mm, that could be an option for you. Best advice is to just try them on. Best of luck.

img_1036.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
tbh, i dont even want to wear a ring. i wear a watch and that is it. im not a jewelry person. i think i could convince my fiance that i really dont want to wear one, but she has said it is important to her, so i agreed to wear one. i dont like yellow gold and figure that plat or palladium would be discreet and was thinking 3-4.5mm. but it is sounding like 3mm would be really dainty on my finger. i like the lucida at tiffany and they have that in 3 or 4.5mm, which is why im asking. i just wished they made it in palladium or even WG! $1600 is expensive for a 4.5mm plat band![/quote]

JFMIII

It is great to read that you are going to wear one. It is a significant event and a way of showing what that event means to both of you.

As for the size.. it really depends on you. You have mentioned the Lucida that is 3 or 4.5mm. Perhaps go into Tiffany and try it out and take a picture of it on your finger. See, if they will let you take the picture (which I am sure that they will - tell them you want to be sure about the size and having a photo of it means you can assess it when you are at home). Also, see if they will let you wear it in the store for about 10-15mins. I am sure they can come to some arrangement. Then, if you want our opinion, post that photo on here. I am sure that other PSers will give you constructive advice.

It is going to feel strange at first, considering that you dont wear jewellry. However, this will pass and soon you will be none the wiser; just like when you first had your watch on your wrist for the first time. I am not sure what you do for a living, but some trades ppl find that wearing a ring is uncomfortable for their work and others dont even realise they have it on. So, it is all really personal.

if you cant get to a tiffany store, what you can do is make a paper ring to that size and put it on your finger. That way you will get an "idea", of what it will look like;albeit a different colour. That is what i did for another ring that i wanted to make. It gave me something to look at while i was deciding.

Like the other posters, i have included some pictures of my ring so you can get a comparison. I have a russian wedder (3 rings in one- yellow gold, rose gold and white gold). Each band is 3mm. I am a size 9 and long-ish fingers.
In the first pic you can see the russian wedder in its entirety on my finger and in relation to the rest of the hand. In the second, I only put the white gold (WG) ring on and taken a photo so you can see what the 3mm ring would look like on my finger.

It is an exciting time choosing rings, and am glad that you are seeking our opinions on it.

Ultimately, as others have mentioned, it is a personal choice and we are happy to guide you; however, the choice is yours (and your fiancee) :)

russian_0.jpg

photo__7_6.jpg

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
singer|1358365705|3357077 said:
Not wear one? You are joking, right? To me, that is just disrespectful. Any woman looking at you (who may be interested) will then think you're single. Not good (especially for your poor wife).

BS. Men who work with their hands can be at risk for losing a finger if they wear rings. And a ring doesn't make someone any more or less married. Those who will cheat will cheat whether they are wearing a ring or not, and a ring doesn't always discourage someone who's interested.

liz

singer

Brilliant_Rock
I understand if he wouldn't want to wear it AT work (if he works with his hands)...but any other time? Sorry Liz, I completely disagree with you. And your rude and insulting language was inappropriate.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
JFMII

What you will also need to consider is the time of year when buying/trying the band. The size difference could be up to 1/2 size different.

When buying ring in the winter, make sure that it is not a snug fit; cos when in summer, swelling of fingers occur. So, if it was a snug fit in winter, it will be uncomfortable to wear in summer. So, maybe get something a little looser in winter so that by summer it will be better fit.

Eg if you size 8.5 now (winter in the northern hemisphere), maybe try a size 9 now. That way, you will get an appreciation of what it will feel like with the looseness. Note, this feeling is only going to happen in winter. In summer it will be a better fit.

Have fun with trying with the rings, it may sound daunting... but a necessary one. :)

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I don't think not wearing a band is a huge deal. My dad doesn't even have a wedding band, and my parents have been happily married for 40 years. My DH doesn't wear his band every day because he has some inflammation issues that make it uncomfortable, but he does like having it as a remembrance of our wedding day. So, I understand not wanting to wear one, but if you have told your future wife that you will get one, you should get one. Maybe don't wear it around the house (my DH keeps his in a box in his nightstand), but wear it when you go out. You can get a 4-4.5mm white gold band for a HECK of a lot less than $1,600! Holy crikey, Tiffany is crazy (!!). Try e-weddingbands.com -- it's where we got our bands and they were incredibly fast with shipping and no issues whatsoever with the quality.

4.5mm low-dome comfort fit 18k white gold, $374 - http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/product168259.html

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi. Just wanted to chime in. I am married to a man who does not like wearing jewelry period! He was married to me with a 6mm beautiful white gold band that ultimately irritated him to wear for the first 5 years. He would always take it off right when he got home. And then slower stopped putting it back on for the following 6-7 years. Until he didnt wear it at all. Secretly then loudly it really bothered me. Last year I offered to size a 2mm plain band that I had to see if he would be willing to wear something that was barely there. It's great! He does not feel it at all (size 9) and NEVER takes it off. Sleeps and showers in it. He works with his hands a lot and I can see the possibility of it wearing thin but we would just replace it. He doesnt worry about it being "manly" enough as he looks like a man lol. Believe me the women still notice it is there;-). Usually with a disappointed sigh. Lol.

Just wanted to say. That the ring that works is not what others suggest but what looks good and feels comfortable to you! For my husband it was not an expensive thick band but a small 2mm white gold e-weddingbands.com band.

Good luck. I say if 3mm works then great!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
LibbyLA said:
Not wear one? You are joking, right? To me, that is just disrespectful. Any woman looking at you (who may be interested) will then think you're single. Not good (especially for your poor wife).

BS. Men who work with their hands can be at risk for losing a finger if they wear rings. And a ring doesn't make someone any more or less married. Those who will cheat will cheat whether they are wearing a ring or not, and a ring doesn't always discourage someone who's interested.

liz

I completely agree with Liz here. My father never wore a wedding band and it didn't make him any less married or devoted to my mother. People need to not be so judgmental about other peoples decision to wear or not wear a wedding band. My DH sometimes didn't wear his and I'm not bothered at all.

As for the width, I've noticed that European men trend to wear skinnier bands than what is popular in the US. My boss is over 6 feet tall and British. I'm fairly certain that his band is 3 mm and I think it looks fine on his above average in size hands. If that's what you want and you both like how it looks go for it.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Clairitek|1358439435|3357831 said:
LibbyLA said:

liz

I completely agree with Liz here. My father never wore a wedding band and it didn't make him any less married or devoted to my mother. People need to not be so judgmental about other peoples decision to wear or not wear a wedding band. My DH sometimes didn't wear his and I'm not bothered at all.

As for the width, I've noticed that European men trend to wear skinnier bands than what is popular in the US. My boss is over 6 feet tall and British. I'm fairly certain that his band is 3 mm and I think it looks fine on his above average in size hands. If that's what you want and you both like how it looks go for it.

Just wanted to add to the above that during the years he did and didn't wear a ring his devotion to me and our marrage was 100%. After being married for 13 years that little 2mm ring has got nothing on what we hold sacred in our hearts! If he decided to stop wearing it today...no biggy!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'll agree as long as you don't care if she doesn't wear one! I think it says that I belong to another. It is a symbol. My husband cannot wear one to work because it is not allowed to wear any jewelry. But I notice when he wears it and it does mean something to me that he doesn't mind being identified as married. He trusts me completely, I'm sure, but he might not like me going on the Las Vegas trip with no rings! (Although I am too old to get into that kind of trouble, anyway! Plus, I want to wear diamonds as much as possible!)

But back to the original issue, my son-in-law has a tungsten band and it feels so smooth (comfort-fit) I actually would love one! It cost a couple hundred dollars, too, and won't get all beat up like platinum or titanium will. And I wouldn't do white gold unless it was unplated.

I actually love the first one on this page, Classique 4mm:

http://www.tungstenworld.com/Mens-Tungsten-Wedding-Bands/

Even if you have a platinum one, it isn't a bad idea to have a tungsten alternate when you are going to be doing something that might scratch your platinum band.

JamesChemist

Rough_Rock
I think a 3 mm band is a little thin especially if you work on things around the house like I do. I would be worried about bending the band as I tend to ding up my band pretty well. I am 5'9 and wear a 6 mm band (pics can be found here here).

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3.5mm band (I wear a size 4) (listed as 3.5mm, but measures closer to 3mm) that's super comfortable - sturdy but sleek.
DH got the same design but in the 5.5mm width - it looks just fine on his hands (he wears size 9).

It's this one: http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/euro-18KYgold.html

Try cutting a strip of tinfoil to various widths to find a width that's right for you.

454_3.jpg

454_5.jpg

singer

Brilliant_Rock
hathalove|1358439855|3357837 said:
Clairitek|1358439435|3357831 said:
LibbyLA said:

liz

Just wanted to add to the above that during the years he did and didn't wear a ring his devotion to me and our marrage was 100%. After being married for 13 years that little 2mm ring has got nothing on what we hold sacred in our hearts! If he decided to stop wearing it today...no biggy!

I'm sorry if you guys interpreted what I said the wrong the way. I didn't mean that a guy not wearing a wedding band would be unfaithful. If my husband decided not to wear his wedding band, I know he would still be 100% faithful to me. I just KNOW that women would be giving him a lot more attention (more than they already do...he's pretty handsome ;-) ) if he was sans wedding band. I really didn't mean that a man not wearing a wedding band would be more inclined to cheat. I apologize if anyone took it that way or was offended at all. I will say, however, that because of my religious beliefs, I do believe a husband and wife should wear a wedding band when out in public. I have every single day for the last six years (since we got married) and so has my husband. He doesn't even take it off to sleep or shower. I never asked him to wear it all the time--he just does. My husband is also in the public eye in our community (he's a news anchor), so I don't think it would look very good if he decided to NOT wear his wedding band. God knows rumors would start flying. (People sure like to gossip about news anchors---at least where we live). Again, sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't think my statement would start such a spark, but after re-reading what I initially wrote, I can see where someone could have taken it the wrong way.

jfmiii

Rough_Rock
appreciate all the replies. like i said, i AM going to wear bc it is important to her. i dont like jewelry on my hands but WILL wear bc she asked me to. and, imo, a man with a ring gets more attention from women, than one without. i do think this is an interesting debate though. i know many people who DONT wear rings and dont cheat on their wives....

anyway, i think i have to just go to tiffany and try both a 3mm and 4.5mm and see if the 3mm is too thin or not. i think that 4mm will end up being the right size and so the lucida wont work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There isn't enough difference between 4 and 4 1/2 to have to eliminate the Lucida if you like that style. A half mm is tiny!

jfmiii

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
There isn't enough difference between 4 and 4 1/2 to have to eliminate the Lucida if you like that style. A half mm is tiny!

i love the style....i HATE the price lol

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Singer, no worries. I completely understood what you meant, and I agree with you.

I think 3mm is too feminine for a man. I would choose 4.5mm or wider.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
jfmiii|1358824891|3361431 said:
appreciate all the replies. like i said, i AM going to wear bc it is important to her. i dont like jewelry on my hands but WILL wear bc she asked me to. and, imo, a man with a ring gets more attention from women, than one without. i do think this is an interesting debate though. i know many people who DONT wear rings and dont cheat on their wives....

anyway, i think i have to just go to tiffany and try both a 3mm and 4.5mm and see if the 3mm is too thin or not. i think that 4mm will end up being the right size and so the lucida wont work.

Have you been in to the store to see what suits? did you take photos?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of what we consider "masculine" or "feminine," style-wise, is just a question of what we've gotten used to. A lot of women today wear watches that are ginormous compare to the vintage watches that I love (and most vintage men's watches, to boot) - and it doesn't in any way affect their "femininity." My father has worn a "skinny" wedding band for over 50 years now, and it didn't make him any less masculine.

jf - Go! Try on a bunch of bands, and choose the width and style that's most comfortable to you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results