shape
carat
color
clarity

$3k budget for setting... what to do... what to do...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone! Hope you''ve all had a wonderful beginning of the new year so far!

My boyfriend and I have decided on a setting budget for the beautiful .57 round we have. There are two settings we like - the Vatche Grace and the Tacori 2620. I wanted to give him one more option (I''d like to be somewhat surprised on the setting choice!) so I was considering contacting Leon Mege about a custom job. I have received a quote from him in the past on this ring: http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=86 However, at $4500, it is quite a bit out of budget now.

I was considering contacting him taking the approach of: "We have a .57 round and a $3000 budget. What type of magic can you work?" though stated a bit more eloquently..lol I just don''t want to bombard him with requests for quotes on rings that I''m not sure are within the budget constraints we have since there are a limited number of quotes he will respond to. But I also don''t want to get a snarky response in return if he doesn''t want to be contacted in this way. Do you think he would reply to something like this? Or can anyone give me an example of a ring made by him that might fit that budget?

Thanks!

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I would contact Leone and see what he can work out for you... frankly, his work is far more attractive (to my eye) than either of the settings you posted. Leone''s work with pave and small diamonds is very delicately and finely done.

$3,000 is a great budget for a setting and with that much money, you shouldn''t have to settle.

You could also save a little more for the Leone setting? You''re almost there!

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
Leon''s work is just so stunning - anything he has created has equated to my dream ring
3.gif
That particular quote I got was for a much larger cushion shaped diamond. I wanted a smaller diamond after trying rings on in a store because I didn''t like the way larger ones looked on my hands at this time in my life (I''m 25) - definitely later in life but not right now. However, I''m barely rationalizing $3k on the setting which is over double the purchase cost of our diamond. $4500 might kill me!! lol

Thanks for taking the time to respond though. I may go ahead and just send him a nice, short and sweet e-mail and see if he can recommend anything. I guess I''m just terrified of experiencing the ''wrath of Leon Mege'' that I''ve occasionally heard about.

Also, is he inclined to work with diamonds of this size (.57)?

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I'm 25, too. Congrats on your engagement!

I've heard Leon can be picky about the diamonds he works with, and has turned down some PSers who proposed projects... but the man has set synthetic stones! I think it's worth asking if you have an excellent quality diamond. And honestly, who knows? In this economy, everyone is looking for business.

If you're worried about spending so much on the setting, how about getting two more stones for a three stone ring? Maybe you don't prefer that look, however. It would take some of the anxiety off of you spending so much on the setting, though!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I personally LOVE that Tacori! Have you tried it on in person? Leon''s work is fab too, so if you love his work the best, I would go in with a set style you like and let him know your budget and ask if there''s anything that will work within those parameters.

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
Agreed. I''m probably being silly about the setting cost for no reason. I''ll just send him a message and hope to God he can or will be willing to work with us
1.gif
Thanks for the kind and helpful responses!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried on halo settings like these? Just curious because you mentioned that you wanted a smaller diamond for the more modest look, but those settings will all be a very eye catching and substantial look on the finger! I love it but wanted to make sure you had given them a test drive, so to speak

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 7:38:34 PM
Author: steph72276
I personally LOVE that Tacori! Have you tried it on in person? Leon''s work is fab too, so if you love his work the best, I would go in with a set style you like and let him know your budget and ask if there''s anything that will work within those parameters.
ditto. The Tacori and the Leon are both beautiful!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I love the Tacori setting you posted
30.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both rings you posted but it sure wouldn''t hurt to ask Leon for a quote as well. I am sure for your price range you can come up with a gorgeous ring.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about the 811 Adrianna halo from Leon? That might fit your budget.

I also love the Tacori 2620 you posted.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
The Vatche Grace is one of my favorite settings! I like the Tacori 2620 too but think the Grace is timeless. Have you seen either setting in person? I am not sure if Mr. Mege works with smaller diamonds. I recall a post stating that he would rather work with stones over a carat. I may be wrong
37.gif

Good Luck
1.gif

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
I have tried the 2620 and it actually looked quite dainty on my finger which I preferred - a little bling but not huge - especially with our half carat. Unfortunately, I can''t find a dealer close enough to us to try on the Vatche Grace in person. However, I have tried the Tiffany Legacy which I liked but I prefer rounds in a prong setting to their "cushion" cut in a bezel so that brought me to Vatche. I do think the Vatche will look more substantial on my finger than the 2620 but I think with our small diamond it might still have that delicate feel.

akmiss - I thought I remembered reading that about Leon as well. I only see a couple smaller diamonds on his page for engagement rings - one is a blue diamond and the others are vintage rounds or cushions if I''m recalling correctly. I don''t remember seeing a regular H&A round so I''m preparing for the worst (i.e. response of "No - too small"). I agree that the Grace is just stunning - I was sold on it ever since seeing it on PS - I believe "angeleyez" posted pictures of hers with a ~.80 round.

I did send an e-mail to him this evening so I''m going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that he''ll be willing. I''ll update and let you know what I find out.

Thanks again!!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I got a quote from Leon for the Adrianna 811 and it was under 3k. I decided not to go custom only because I wanted a "safe" ring that had been tested for durability and all that good stuff.
I like both of the ones you posted. I don''t think you can make a bad choice out of any of those.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2010 6:32:22 AM
Author: lknvrb4
I got a quote from Leon for the Adrianna 811 and it was under 3k. I decided not to go custom only because I wanted a ''safe'' ring that had been tested for durability and all that good stuff.
I like both of the ones you posted. I don''t think you can make a bad choice out of any of those.
I just love lknvrb4''s new e-ring, and I''ve been spending a lot of time recently looking at Verragio rings because I''d like one of their wedding bands to go with my alternate e-ring. Have you considered Verragio? Their style is beautiful but different from the other manufacturers and it just might be the tie breaker you''re looking for. They also generally use bright and sparkling G VS diamonds in their mountings. Their mountings are absolutely lovely in person.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Gemgirl. Verragio has some stunning pieces for sure. They also offer everything in 18k, palladium, and platinum. I highly recommend TQ Diamonds if anyone is considering ordering. Lora is wonderful to work with and answered my endless emails within an hour or so.

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 7:42:04 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Have you tried on halo settings like these? Just curious because you mentioned that you wanted a smaller diamond for the more modest look, but those settings will all be a very eye catching and substantial look on the finger! I love it but wanted to make sure you had given them a test drive, so to speak
I was thinking the same thing
33.gif
but hey, if you''re happy to splash out on a more elaborate setting then who am I to argue.

So Excited

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/4/2010 9:27:21 AM
Author: lknvrb4
Thanks Gemgirl. Verragio has some stunning pieces for sure. They also offer everything in 18k, palladium, and platinum. I highly recommend TQ Diamonds if anyone is considering ordering. Lora is wonderful to work with and answered my endless emails within an hour or so.
I will second the referral on TQ Diamonds for Verragio, (or Tacori for that fact as they carry both lines) I worked with Tim (the owner) and he was wonderful and VERY helpful in getting in multiple styles for me to view. I''m not sure where you are from, but the 3 hour drive for me (with them being the only dealer in WI) was well worth the trip.
emteeth.gif

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Keeping my fingers crossed that Leon will create a masterpiece for you. I haven''t contacted him yet (still waiting for the stone) but my budget is also around 3k.

If he is unable to create the ring than I would without reservation recommend the Tacori. I have tried the 2620 on numerous times and it is GORGEOUS. Very dainty and understated but still detailed with the perfect amount of sparkle and bling.

Please keep us updated and good luck! Sending you lots of LM dust!

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
lknvrb4 - I do really like the Adrianna 811 - VERY surprised that the quote was under 3k!

gemgirl - I actually tried on Verragio''s in store (can''t remember which ones exactly) but I wasn''t a huge fan. Can''t really put my finger on why I didn''t like them as much - they were great quality. Just not truly what I was looking for.

Londongirl1 - I didn''t pick a smaller diamond purely for a "modest" look. I knew from the beginning that I preferred more elaborate, halo settings and was originally looking at 1.5+ carat cushions online. However, upon trying different size diamonds on with halos, I found that I felt uncomfortable as the diamond got larger. When I tried on one that had about a half carat center, I liked the way it looked and thought it achieved a great balance between having a gorgeous, elaborate setting while not looking too OTT for me personally. Now if we were talking about a solitaire, it would be a different story but the halo really adds so much finger coverage, I didn''t really feel I needed to go any larger to get what I was looking for
1.gif
Hope that clarifies a bit!

Collee - Thanks for the sweet words (and the dust!)

****Mini update for those interested in working with Leon on a budget****

I can''t believe how FAST Leon got back to me - within 24 hours from sending my initial questions! He responded with a very kind e-mail asking me to call him to discuss options - he stated that there are so many options to consider that it would be best for me to give him a ring and discuss it over the phone so he can guide me to the best one. I am absolutely ELATED!! I''ll be giving him a ring in the morning to find out what my options are and let you guys know what he comes back with.
9.gif

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
So Excited, I am from a small town a little over 2 hrs south of Madison in Illinois. I actually did not drive up there. I tried on halos in stores and almost got a square one that would hold a round but on it''s split shank were pave diamonds. I held out and once I saw the Verragio I bought it sight unseen. I had faith and the day my ring came in the mail, I fell in love. LOL

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
turboflgrl-I did get a quote for the adrianna but I just looked at it again on his site, my quote was for without the diamonds on the shank. So, I am guessing it would be over 3k with those. Sorry for the confusion it was a few months ago I got it and forgot about the diamonds on the shank.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Turbo, yea! Glad you will be able to get Leon to make your dream ring...update us after you talk to him!!!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I love all three settings that you posted, but I love the Vatche Grace and the Tacori the best, in that order. Someone on PS has the Vatche Grace and the bezel in the picture is so much more delicate than in the stock picture from Vatche. Plus their workmanship is impeccable and they offer lifetime warranty for porosity issues and resizing.

If I had to go with one setting right now, I would get the Vatche Grace. I love it.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
GREAT new!. CONGRATS! Please keep us informed of all the details.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Do you mind sharing what you stated in the email that you sent to him.? As mentioned, I am interested in contacting Leon but do not have the stone yet. I know the approx specs that I desire but still waiting for the "one" (GOG AVC) to arrive. Would you advise that I send a preliminary email now (i know the setting design that i desire and budget) or wait until a stone is purchased?

mimistar

Rough_Rock
Hi there-
Gonna share my two cents here. I think Leon does amazing work (obviously) but his antics and reputation are a bit of a turn off for me. It doesn''t sit well with me that he (or anyone else) would turn away a project simply because the center stone is too SMALL. Does this bother anyone else?
20.gif
I understand some projects may be "beneath" him, but to turn down a project simple for the size of the center stone? Hmmm
27.gif

Anyway, I would recommend you research other reputable jewelers either on PS, or in your hometown. There are amazing ones everywhere.
I had a reputable family jeweler create the ring of my dreams (HW cushion in halo micropave---didn''t you want this one a ways back?) at a reasonable price. You just have to do your homework and check out what work they have done in the past.

From the two settings you posted, I think the Vatche is just stunning. It would look gorgeous on you! Good luck with your project and keep us posted!

LAradiant

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/5/2010 11:26:41 AM
Author: Collee
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Do you mind sharing what you stated in the email that you sent to him.? As mentioned, I am interested in contacting Leon but do not have the stone yet. I know the approx specs that I desire but still waiting for the ''one'' (GOG AVC) to arrive. Would you advise that I send a preliminary email now (i know the setting design that i desire and budget) or wait until a stone is purchased?
Hi Collee - if you are going to purchase the stone soon, you can definitely reach out to Leon now. Use this link and fill out the request form and he will respond back to you.

http://www.artofplatinum.com/phpform/use/Quote/form1.html

He''s usually really quick to respond. I actually met with him last month to work on a new setting and my experience with him has been really great so far, despite some of the negative reviews he''s received! Good luck!

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 1:20:29 PM
Author: LAradiant

Date: 1/5/2010 11:26:41 AM
Author: Collee
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Do you mind sharing what you stated in the email that you sent to him.? As mentioned, I am interested in contacting Leon but do not have the stone yet. I know the approx specs that I desire but still waiting for the ''one'' (GOG AVC) to arrive. Would you advise that I send a preliminary email now (i know the setting design that i desire and budget) or wait until a stone is purchased?
Hi Collee - if you are going to purchase the stone soon, you can definitely reach out to Leon now. Use this link and fill out the request form and he will respond back to you.

http://www.artofplatinum.com/phpform/use/Quote/form1.html

He''s usually really quick to respond. I actually met with him last month to work on a new setting and my experience with him has been really great so far, despite some of the negative reviews he''s received! Good luck!
Thanks so much for the response. I hope to purchase the stone soon but uncertain as to the exact timeframe. Going to contact Jon at the end of this week for a chunky monkey status update.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results