shape
carat
color
clarity

3ct Oval Reset opinions

jessilee99

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

My mom handed down a 3 carat oval solitaire (unknown stats) that I want to have reset. It's currently in a knife edge 6 prong wg setting, that's just kind of meh for me.

I want to put it in a halo, and I want to set it east/west and I have this urge to make the halo out of blue sapphires but I'm not 100% sure on that concept and I'm looking for thoughts, input, and opinions.

I'm thinking I want a micro pave on the band (but probably not full eternity for size-ability)

I already have a wedding set, so I don't really care if this one looks e-ring-y or not, I'm not opposed to having it look engagementy either. Also, if I do make the halo sapphires, do I want the micro pave on the band sapphires too? Or do I want those to be diamonds?

Is it a more 'clear' design if I just stick with diamonds? I flip flop in my head over what I want a dozen times a day, so just looking for general input and ideas.

Thanks in advance,

oval1.jpg

oval3.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's your budget?

And is the stone insured? You need it reappraised if you want it reset for your protection and the vendors.

jessilee99

Rough_Rock
The stone is in the process of being appraised for insurance purposes, my mom just had it laying around (literally, like in her kitchen drawer) but now that it's mine, I'm gonna have it insured like my other jewelry.

Budget, I'd rather not spend more than $2k but that's a a teeny bit flexible if there were something just totally amazing that I fell in love with.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
jessilee99|1318562428|3039904 said:
The stone is in the process of being appraised for insurance purposes, my mom just had it laying around (literally, like in her kitchen drawer) but now that it's mine, I'm gonna have it insured like my other jewelry.

Budget, I'd rather not spend more than $2k but that's a a teeny bit flexible if there were something just totally amazing that I fell in love with.

Unless you find a vintage ring with a sapphire halo that magically fits your stone (stranger things have happened) you aren't going to get one in budget. All those sapphires are individually cut to the halo and that costs money. Hunt's Country Jewelers does have gemstone cutter on premises so they MAY be able to do it less expensive than others but I would expect it to cost more than 2k. Closer to 4K-- and possibly a heck of a lot more (depending on the vendor). But you can ask around.

Do you have other ideas you like for it?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My%20Collection%20Jess%202007%20009.jpg

I think you should do the reverse of this. You have the finger real estate and the sapphires would be a great contrast to the center. It will likely run you up to 3500 (you would need matching one carat ovals on either side and those can run a bit steep) but you can ask the owner of www.simplysapphires.com to see what he can find for you, I've bought from him very happily. If you can get a set set for under 1500 then the setting will probably be about 1500 on the low side. I'd get it done in the Stuller X1 alloy of white gold that doesn't need plating, unless platinum ends up being cheaper (these days you never know).

ETA: http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2005/blueons204-sm.html It's like they are waiting for you. His photos are slightly darker than real life in my experience, so they will look brighter in real life. If you like it-- buy them and see them in person. If you change your mind you can return them. Full 10 day return window with no questions asked.

If you get the setting from some where like Hunt or even ERD that is more affordable, then you might even be able to finish the project for 2500. Not bad at all for a huge gorgeous three stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results