shape
carat
color
clarity

Reports from Tuscon Show?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Any experts or colored stone fans have anything to report from the Tuscon show?

What's hot/ what's not, supply, demand, trends, issues for the colored stone market?

I did see something about AGS working with AGTA for colored stone certs?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The weather was beautiful!
Started seeing more and more of the Oregon Sunstone than in the past.
Lots and lots of Tanzanite in smaller sizes and lighter violite color.
As far as the rough goes, there didn''t seem to be any big find with large quanties and good prices.
Most rough prices were up 20% from last year or more. Aqua was in short supply and about double from last year.
Nothing really struck me as standing out any more than previoius years.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Be-bump!

Come on people, more info, I''m jonesing here!
3.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
I got a brief note from the show concerning my favorite - sapphires.- Blue prices are up significantly, yellows are in very high demand for some reason. More to follow - I hope.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Bump !

Full report from the GIA Website.....part of text below

---------------------------------------------

February 10, 2006
Industry Analysis: Tucson Report – Rising Prices, Flat Sales

Despite soaring prices for many types of gemstones, business at the various Tucson trade shows was spotty, with some exhibitors reporting gains while others saw declines.

Coming off a generally lackluster holiday season, exhibitors at the American Gem Trade Association (AGTA), Gem & Jewelry Exchange (GJX), Worldwide Gem & Jewelry, and Gem and Lapidary Dealers Association (GLDA) shows reported that business, after a strong start, was generally slower than last year. Part of the problem may have been that prices for many of the most popular gemstones were 20–40% higher than at last year’s shows. Dealers cited increased global competition for goods, declines in the U.S. dollar, and more aggressive pricing by miners and source-country dealers as the reasons.

Top sellers were better-quality, unheated blue and pink sapphires, emeralds, and – new this year – opaque/semi-opaque stones, particularly opals and cat’s-eye/star cabochons.....

--------------------

See link above for full content and text.

Opallover

Rough_Rock
Hurray for Opals!
emwink.gif

Linda

widget

Ideal_Rock
Rebump!!!!

Does anyone else have anything to contribute????

Cmon, guys!

widget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results