shape
carat
color
clarity

Any opinions on this stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
I have been researching several stones and have come across one with the following measurements:

1.74 ct. G SI2
Depth: 62.7
Table: 54
Crown angle: 35
Pavilion angle: 40.8
7.64 x 7.67

Is there any indication from those #s that this would be a good or bad stone? I know it scores a 1.7 on the HCA and it is an AGS000 that displays hearts and arrows. There are no pictures of it available, but I can have it sent into a local appraiser to look at if I choose to.

Thanks

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm... I wish you had some photos or an IS image.

It's a little deep for my preference... a typical ideal cut 1.75 carat weight stone should have a spread of ~7.9 mm, so it will look a little small for its size. Some people might also say that the crown angle is a little steep. It may well be a beautiful diamond, though... if the price is right, I would say it is well worth a look.

PS Double check that it is eye-clean, too. Some SI2s definitely are - and those are my favorite!
1.gif

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice. The vendor that is selling it says that the measurements are still "ideal." Since it is a little deep, does that mean that it really isn''t an ideal cut stone?

I know, I wish I had some sort of picture of it. That would really help. Unfortunately, they say there isn''t any.

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock
Forgot to ask... you mention the deepness affecting the appearance of size. Will it also affect its brilliance, fire, scintillation?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 8:05:25 PM
Author: sslkrissi
Thanks for the advice. The vendor that is selling it says that the measurements are still 'ideal.' Since it is a little deep, does that mean that it really isn't an ideal cut stone?

I know, I wish I had some sort of picture of it. That would really help. Unfortunately, they say there isn't any.

Somebody more knowledgable than me will have to answer your first question... I really don't know all the parameters for "ideal cut" under the new AGS guidelines.

BTW, is it a newer AGS cert, or an older one?

And why, I have to wonder, can't the vendor TAKE a few photos for you??!! I would certainly ask!
1.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 8:06:47 PM
Author: sslkrissi
Forgot to ask... you mention the deepness affecting the appearance of size. Will it also affect its brilliance, fire, scintillation?

A stone cut too deep can definitely affect performance and light return. But I don''t know if that''s the case with this stone. Maybe one of our experts can chime in?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why won't the vendor send you pics, that seems odd?? I agree it's on the deep side. BUT we all know you can't go by numbers alone. I'd love to see a pic, and an IS of this stone.

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock
It is from usacerteddiamonds and they say that it is at their warehouse in NY. but if I want to see it in person, they will send it to an appraiser, Rockdoc, which is in my area.

I think the certificate is from september 05, if I remember correctly.

sslkrissi

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know how to put these #s into the diamcalc. For some reason my computer will not let me download it. If anyone can do that for me and post the results, that would be so great. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results