shape
carat
color
clarity

ring suggestions for large fingers/hands

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mac

Rough_Rock
So one of my good friends and her boyfriend have recently had "the talk."
31.gif
The plan is to be engaged in the next year(ish). She likes my taste in jewelry and says that when the time comes, she'd like me to help choose the e-ring.

The challenge (and it is a bit of a challenge) - she loves super large, super blingy jewelry (think big time rap star bling), her finger size is probably 10+, and she wants to keep it under $4000 total. She likes emerald & cushion cut stones and would like to stick with white gold. Any suggestions as to how to maximize this budget for her...ummm...not so dainty fingers?

Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HALO IT!!!!!

a halo will make a stone look much larger...i'd say doing something like a cushion or similar and then halo'ing it, it will definitely add bling and more width.

another idea if she can't afford the halo setting for diamonds is to put something like french cut sapphires in the halo, that is beautiful and will draw the eye to the hand with the stunning blue.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I would advise against a cushion since they tend to look small for their weight. I would go with a fancy cut, either a marquise or a pear and put a halo around it. However, if she really wants a cushion or emerald, then she may not get as much *bling* as she otherwise would with a different fancy shape.

I would also add side stones as opposed to a solitaire for a more sparkly look. I would avoid eternity rings since no one sees the bottom anyway (plus all the money can be spent on the top of the ring.
2.gif
) A 3 stone ring might look pretty too. Would she like something like an oval with trillions? To me that would give quite a bit of bling.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m one of the few 10+ gals on Pscope it seems, so I''ll weigh, (heh, get it - weigh) in.

Agree with the "halo" idea for sure ... but if she wants a super big, bold, bling-y looks, would she ever consider a colored stone ... i.e. Nicole Ritche''s pink sapphire??

If she has pudgy fingers (like I do) and not just big, thick muscular fingers ... I''d advise against super, super thin rings. IMO - on me - they made my fingers look sausagy. Slightly wider, but not TOO wide, bands and tapered bands were more flattering. ALSO, buying a slightly looser e-ring size. Don''t try to squeeze into a too small size ... or it looks squeezed & pinched & plumps out the skin around the ring. LOOSE keeps the look sleeker.

Eh, that''s my 2cents. Will keep an eye out for $4000 range ideas!

mac

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help so far. My friend definitely prefers cushions or square emeralds/asschers. Even with the beautiful fancy shapes on this sight, I''m not sure I could convert her. She hates the idea of color (hehe, my dream ring has a ruby, wouldn''t ya know). Her hands are very feminine looking, just a little on the pudgey side. Hmmm...very difficult helping a stubborn friend with slightly unrealistic expectations, but I''ll try...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
If she really wants a SE/asscher then she's definitely gonna have to halo it - because they face up small for their size!! Maybe a split shank SE halo like this. The split shanks give an illusion of a wider band. However this setting is around $4K (in platinum) so while this exact thing wouldn't work - perhaps nixing the stones on the split shanks and/or widening the metal on the shanks would be more cost effective and suit her finger size? White gold would also be cheaper.

splshsehalo.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you said she doesn''t like color ... but check this out ... I LOVE IT. $4200. But I''ll keep lookin''...

http://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=451&cat_id=1

Ring_Aqua_4419.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is at Signed Pieces ... Facets collection ...$4950 ... w./a .70 Asscher

http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=3759

point70ctasscherhalo.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
This setting is $1700 in WG and the bling-iest I could find for a reasonable price!

5G4.jpg

From www.dimendScassi.com (style 5G4 under "Rings with Side Diamonds")

The good thing about this setting is that it'd make anything look like a cushion!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results