shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal ideas in New York

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurieUK

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
My girlfriend and I and travelling to New York for 3 nights, Friday to Sunday at the end of January. Now she''s been to New York when she was younger with her parents, but I''ve never been. Were both from the UK I have no idea what to expect but one things for sure, I cant wait!! My plan is propose to her on the Saturday night and the genius part is that its her 30th on the Sunday. Were staying at the Wardorf Astoria which I take it is in the middle of all the hustle and bustle of the city, but I do not have a clue on the location of the proposal. I''ve heard that there is an ice rink called the wollman rink that has the Manhattan skyline around it and that they do a special service by putting up a small romantic tent, play your favorite music and give you champagne as you propose inside the tent. Now in all of your expert opinions does this sound cheesy or romantic. Any other ideas would be most welcome.

Cheers

Laurie

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Hi;
I live in NY near New York City.
The rink is very pretty, I did not know that they put the tent up and all of that, that could be very nice.
But another idea is this, if you walk up from the Waldorf Astoria to the beginning of Central park (59 and 5th ave) you can take a carriage ride up to Tavern on The Green, which is a beautiful resturant. You can propose in the carriage if you wanted, or you can do so in the resturant. I have heard of a lot of people going to the resturant and proposing by taking the ring to the matrade and having them bring it out with the dessert or the main course. That is just another idea but I am sure the rink is very nice too.
Good Luck

Phil

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Hello! I also live in NYC (Manhattan)....So many pretty places to see/visit!

I have actually seen a proposal at the rink you speak of....I didn''t think it was cheesy. It was very romantic.

I also like Tavern on the Green but it is very expensive for only ''okay'' food. It is beautiful though!!!!! I would also try to get a horse-drawn carriage. They are all around this time of year in NYC. I have actually seen a guy propose in the carriage...That was also cute!

freckles127

Shiny_Rock
Hi Laurie,

That''s a nice idea you have! I live in NYC and there are so many places that are very romantic... Tavern on the Green is nice and pretty especially with the lights on the trees outside but its been done many times and the food is subpar for what you pay. A very nice restaurant is called "One if by Land, Two if by Sea" in the Village and they are famous famous for being the most romantic restaurant in the city. I have peeked in many times and can vouch for its setting. Here''s a site I always use to see other people''s reviews, there is a link for romantic restaurants:
www.citysearch.com

If you propose at Wollman, make sure you know how to get there! I lived in NY my entire life and got lost looking for it a week ago!!
28.gif

LaurieUK

Rough_Rock
Just a quick update:

I''ve just had an e-mail fron the concierge to say that the March and One if by land restaurants are very good. Has anyone been to any of these and if so what were they like.

Many thanks in advance.

Laurie

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I would go with One if By Land. It''s a very lovely, romantic restaurant and definitely suitable for a post engagement meal! The food is delicious and the atmosphere is wonderful. I''m sure there have been many proposals and romantic celebrations in that restaurant so they will know how to take very good care of you! March is nice but a little stuffy--a more "mature" crowd, if you know what I mean! Good luck, it sounds like a wonderful plan. I''m in NYC too so let us know if you need more advice...

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Hi Laurie.

I like your idea of proposing in the ice rink, but here''s another one. You can propose at the "Top of the Rock." Here''s a article about it, as well as some pictures. It is already open, the article is old.

When Rockefeller Center next month reopens its observation decks for the first time in two decades, visitors will get access to a nearly 360-degree panorama of New York, timed entry passes to eliminate lines, a look at the world''s largest crystal chandelier, and possibly the city''s best view of the Empire State Building.

Designed in the 1930s to evoke the look and feel of an ocean liner in the sky, the original art deco ornamentation has been preserved, including massive cast aluminum fleur-de-lis atop the skyscraper.

The 69th- and 70th-floor roof decks were originally open to the public when the building opened in 1933, but were closed after operators of The Rainbow Room decided in 1985 to expand the restaurant.

Beginning Nov. 1, the public will be allowed back on the observation decks of the building''s top three floors. Visitors can purchase timed-entry tickets online, which will all but eliminate the need to wait in a line at Rockefeller Center. Walk-up tickets will also be available everyday at the 50th Street entrance.

Once ticketed, visitors can walk up three flights of a new spiral staircase built around the new Swarovski chandelier. The history of Rockefeller Center is detailed on the mezzanine level through multimedia exhibits. A large scale model of Rockefeller Center, previously housed at the Museum of the City of New York, will be on display. Kids can walk across a steel beam (safely surrounded by Plexiglas,) and look down at a streaming video of a construction site.

Once guests head to the express elevators, they''ll leave all the history lessons behind. "When you get to the top, it’s all about the view," said Peter Dillon, director of marketing for Tishman Speyer, the building''s co-owner.

The view is indeed spectacular, with Central Park to the north and the Empire State Building prominent to the south. On the east side there''s the Chrysler building and Times Square in the west side. On clear days, the view extends 80 miles.

The observation decks are 20 feet wide, compared with the 8-foot-width of the observation deck at the Empire State Building, Dillon said. New telescopes have been installed on the 69th floor, and a small gift shop will open, but the original deck chairs have been removed. There is no seating on the top floors, but visitors are allowed to linger as long as they like. (But the building closes at midnight with the last elevator heading up at 11:30 p.m.)

The introductory price of $14 for adults is good through March 31; after that it rises to $17.50. Tickets can be purchased online. The entrance to Top of the Rock is located on W. 50th Street, between 5th and 6th avenues.

Top of Rock.jpg

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Another pic. This is where visitors walk and check out the view.

Top of Rock 4.jpg

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Shows part of the view. This reopened recently after many years of being closed, so I''m sure your girlfriend hasn''t already done this.

Top of Rock 2.jpg

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Last picture.

Top of Rock 3.jpg

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Visit here for more info: http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/

Also, the Top of the Rock is open until midnight, with the last visitors allowed up at 11:30pm. So you can try to time it with the sunset, or after a nice dinner, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results