shape
carat
color
clarity

RED diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone here ever seen a red--not pink, not wishy washy red, but *real* ruby-red--diamond?

I''ve looked and looked for even a decent picture of one but cannot find it. Even the one in the Smithsonian looks a little weak.

I know they are incredibly rare but surely one of the experts here has seen one of these babies pass through....right?

I''ve been in love with red diamonds since I was about 10 and saw some NPR broadcast about how there were only 5 or 6 known large specimens ever and how beautiful they are...I''m not even sure if that''s true, but still.

thanks!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Here is another (purplish red) called the Hancock Red. It's only about a mil per carat.
1.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
*faints*...I''ll take the Rob Red!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
although I don''t know...the DeYoung Red (wherever it is) is a close runner-up

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2005 5:22:42 PM
Author: rainbowtrout
although I don't know...the DeYoung Red (wherever it is) is a close runner-up
Here's DeYoung (also in Famous Diamonds). Much larger - 5.03 carats. Comes in right behind the Moussaieff at 5.11.

The cutting style is important to the body color of these fancies. Faceting that allows the diamond to entrap more body color is avoided in 'white' diamonds but is desirable for these.

When a fancy color is cut into a round shape it is actually favorable for the diamond to leak light and bounce body color back into the center of the diamond, so they are cut in what we'd consider steep or shallow configurations.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
It''s amazing how many of these "surface: every fifty years or so--I suppose after the previous owner dies and it is sold at auction.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Call the Sultan of Brunei - I think he might have a few!
emotion-5.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Rainbow trout - Are you a Sultan''s wife?
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Red is the rarest color for diamonds.
I can''t wait till they can culture nice deep red diamonds, I''ll be all over that!
Nice grassy green ones too! (that are nicer than majority of irridated ones out there.)

Scintillating...

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
while I do speak arabic, I am engaged to a Jewish guy....so...no :)

You know these silly sultans do the same damn thing with manuscripts I need for research...private libraries, no access or cataloging system....arrrrrrgh

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Stephan Hoefer''s book - Colored Diamonds has some great images in it.

It is a bit pricey though- $ 300.00

I have a cinnamon natural red diamond. But they are making some nice synthetic lab grown ones...

So if you dont have the budget to purchase a natural one, the synthetic ones are really nice if you in "must have mode".

Rockdoc

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No... I have not met any no-excuse-red diamond. Only some small reddish ones classified as deep purplish or orange-pink.
Given how few these are, I am not holding my breath for this to change
2.gif

This is the first time I hear about red syntetics! Only of the Lucent HPHT reds and the syntetic pinks by Chatham and Apolo(?).

For ref:

Lucentdiamonds.com is Ok, but the goods are also described by GIA (link) and Adamas Gem Lab (link) pages - jewelry and SAS spectra included.

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/13/2005 5:48:15 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Here''s DeYoung (also in Famous Diamonds). Much larger - 5.03 carats. Comes in right behind the Moussaieff at 5.11.

The cutting style is important to the body color of these fancies. Faceting that allows the diamond to entrap more body color is avoided in ''white'' diamonds but is desirable for these.

When a fancy color is cut into a round shape it is actually favorable for the diamond to leak light and bounce body color back into the center of the diamond, so they are cut in what we''d consider steep or shallow configurations.
The GIA GTL graded the DeYoung Red as a Natural Fancy Dark Reddish Brown Diamond.
The Smithsonian used a special low temp fiber-optic light to highlight the Red. If you notice the second picture from "Famous Diamonds" you can see the light source. I took that picture while doing research on "Red Diamonds" and sent it to Ryan at "Famous Diamonds".

Joker....

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
The GIA GTL graded the DeYoung Red as a Natural Fancy Dark Reddish Brown Diamond.

The Smithsonian used a special low temp fiber-optic light to highlight the Red. If you notice the second picture from ''Famous Diamonds'' you can see the light source. I took that picture while doing research on ''Red Diamonds'' and sent it to Ryan at ''Famous Diamonds''.

Joker....[/quote]

Are you saying the light was meant to make the diamond look less brownish?

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Michael Beaudry has a three stone red diamond ring for $2 million available. I''ll try to scan a picture of it and send it.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Beaudry-Red-Diamond.jpg

Here''s the pic of the Beaudry 3 stone. I saw this ring this fall and it was amazing. It''s the only matched set I know of. The diamonds are 1.49ct total GIA certed natural fancy purplish red. What''s amazing is they have a even color distrubution and matching length to width ratios. The Beaudry press says according to Christie''s the diamond are so rare that only 30 specimens have been known for the past 150 years. The Hancock Red sold in 1987 for just under $1 million. They also say that the reds are so rare that Harry Winston never saw a red diamond in his career.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 7:49:07 AM
Author: The Joker

Here''s DeYoung (also in Famous Diamonds). Much larger - 5.03 carats. Comes in right behind the Moussaieff at 5.11.

The cutting style is important to the body color of these fancies. Faceting that allows the diamond to entrap more body color is avoided in ''white'' diamonds but is desirable for these.

When a fancy color is cut into a round shape it is actually favorable for the diamond to leak light and bounce body color back into the center of the diamond, so they are cut in what we''d consider steep or shallow configurations.
The Smithsonian used a special low temp fiber-optic light to highlight the Red. If you notice the second picture from ''Famous Diamonds'' you can see the light source. I took that picture while doing research on ''Red Diamonds'' and sent it to Ryan at ''Famous Diamonds''.

Joker....
It''s a nice photo. If you don''t mind my asking, do you have a collection of such photos that you''re at liberty to share?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m having palpitations...fantasizing real bad about the DeYoung and Rob Red in a pendant surrounded by, dare I say it???? ICY WHITE DIAMONDS, coupled with the Beaudry ring.
23.gif

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 9:24:32 AM

Joker....

Are you saying the light was meant to make the diamond look less brownish?
[/quote]I am saying that the light is needed to highlight the red. IMHO it should have been called a Reddish Black because it is such a dark diamond. The DeYoung Red diamond was mistaken for a garnet, and was on the fancy end of a hat pin for many years.

Joker....

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 1:32:45 PM

Date: 12/14/2005 7:49:07 AM
Author: The Joker

Joker....
It''s a nice photo. If you don''t mind my asking, do you have a collection of such photos that you''re at liberty to share?
My avatar is one of my collection of reddish-brown (chestnut colored) diamonds. I found it at the Crater of Diamonds in 1998 and it is the reason I got interested in Fancy Colored Diamonds. It was 1.55ct when I found it and in 2000 I had it cut into a .58ct RB.

Joker....

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Now that...that is a RING.

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 12:39:47 PM
Author: mepearl53
Beaudry-Red-Diamond.jpg

Here''s the pic of the Beaudry 3 stone. I saw this ring this fall and it was amazing. It''s the only matched set I know of. The diamonds are 1.49ct total GIA certed natural fancy purplish red. What''s amazing is they have a even color distrubution and matching length to width ratios. The Beaudry press says according to Christie''s the diamond are so rare that only 30 specimens have been known for the past 150 years. The Hancock Red sold in 1987 for just under $1 million. They also say that the reds are so rare that Harry Winston never saw a red diamond in his career.
Bill:
Thanks for sharing that story. Where was this ring at??? Do you have any information about where the rough diamond(s) came from??? Were all three diamonds from separate pieces of rough, or they all from the same piece???

Joker....

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t most of the reds these days come from Argyle?

Scintillating...

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/15/2005 10:42:41 AM
Author: Scintillating
Don''t most of the reds these days come from Argyle?

Scintillating...

There aren''t that many Natural red diamonds. There have been some from the Argyle Mine. The Largest Red Diamond ever graded by GIA GTL was from Brazil.
The following is from their web site:

------------------------------------------------
The Moussaieff Red Diamond:

At 5.51 carats, this triangular shaped diamond may not seem large compared to its exhibition companions, but for a red diamond it is astounding! Initially weighing 13.9 carats in the rough, the Moussaieff Red was discovered in the 1990’s by a farmer in Brazil.

----------------------------------------------
The rest of their article can be found here:
http://www.gia.edu/microsite/15411/the_moussaieff_red.cfm

Joker....

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This piece debuted at Basel earlier this year and has been shown at the major invitation shows we are invited to. I do not know of the location where the rough came from but the center diamond has been around for a long time and the sides were a more recent find. I suspect the diamonds are from a collector and Beaudry was the one selected to feature the diamonds. In person they looked like a lively Burmese ruby. Very interesting piece. Took me 34 years to see my first gem red.

The center stone is .73ct and the sides total .76ct.

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/15/2005 2:31:40 PM
Author: mepearl53
This piece debuted at Basel earlier this year and has been shown at the major invitation shows we are invited to. I do not know of the location where the rough came from but the center diamond has been around for a long time and the sides were a more recent find. I suspect the diamonds are from a collector and Beaudry was the one selected to feature the diamonds. In person they looked like a lively Burmese ruby. Very interesting piece. Took me 34 years to see my first gem red.

The center stone is .73ct and the sides total .76ct.

Thanks for the reply Bill:
I thought that since the color tone of these four diamonds were similar they might have all come from the same 13.9ct piece of rough. But now that can''t be the case.

Joker....

Red diamonds 001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results