shape
carat
color
clarity

Marine in Marin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

devildog

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am a bit on a budget ($2500) and want to get my girl a ring (and married) before my next deployment. She was good to go with my last one, but I owe this to her (shes been putting up with me for a number of years, wow how time flies) and really want to give her a ring for her B-day (Mid Dec). Anyways, I have been looking here and there and the only thing that I can discern is that I like the clearer diamonds better (E''s and D''s) Anything less and I feel as if I could tell. Even without knowing what they were ahead of time. Anyways, I believe that puts my in the .5 ct category for a round cut, or there about''s when you factor in clarity and all that. (good thing she has thin fingers!!
I don''t have credit cards, made that mistake a while back, so want to do this in cash, which means I need to stay local, and for now I just want to get a nice diamond on a simple gold band, so when I come back we can later upgrade bands. (ever been to old gold? They have the perfect one there...for 5 G''s...too bad, maybe later)
So I guess my question is, where local, hopefully in Marin, but Ok in SF and I''ll even travel out to the East Bay, do you recommend that I should go?
Thanks for any help and advice!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2005 1:45:08 PM
Author:devildog

Anyways, I have been looking here and there and the only thing that I can discern is that I like the clearer diamonds better (E''s and D''s) Anything less and I feel as if I could tell. Even without knowing what they were ahead of time.

I hope this doesn''t mean you decided that without looking at some diamonds... If so, it may help to forget this and take a look at a few more grades - at least down to G to be conservative.

However one half carat D_E/VS fits the budget graciously... setting & all.

Anyway, I don''t think you need a CC do buy online - bank wire and cashier checks are usually welcome.

My 0.02... in case jewelers in your area have not left any trace on this forum.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Marine,

I think there is a diamond mart right on Union Square in SF -- across the street from Macys if I remember correctly. You might try there. And, without remembering any good B&M jewelry stores offhand, I''d say your best bet for getting a good diamond might be to go to Ben Bridge and look at ONLY their Signature Cut and Ikuma diamonds (both are premium lines: the Signature Cut has extra faceting and a different "look," some love the extra faceting and some don''t (I''m in the "don''t" camp), while the Ikuma diamonds are their Canadian diamonds. They will have something in a ring set with a premium diamond that will fit your budget. You will pay extra for going to a brick and mortar store, but the diamond quality should be pretty good.

Or, you could go to Whiteflash like so many people here do. Most people here think WF has fabulous diamonds for much less than you pay in a B&M store. Although you can''t use a credit card, you can have your bank wire transfer the funds to WF, and their turnaround is super quick. You would definitely have your diamond ring in time. And remember, going to WF you don''t have to pay sales tax on that $2,500, so you can put that "tax money" toward a bigger stone or nicer setting.

Here is a nice .74 carat diamond for under $2,500.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-1292134.htm#

Hope these suggestions help.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Also remember that "F" is still in the "colorless" range. You can get more diamond if you go to F instead of sticking to D and E

Brighter_Suns

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/5/2005 2:11:02 PM
Author: portoar
Also remember that ''F'' is still in the ''colorless'' range. You can get more diamond if you go to F instead of sticking to D and E
I quite agree that if you want colorless think F and get a larger stone. Here is an ideal cut .64 F VS2 that you could get for $2194.00 that with a nice setting would still get you under the $2500.00!

http://www.bluenile.ca/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00965908&filter_id=1

devildog

Rough_Rock
valeria101-
What I meant to say, is that when i am shown a bunch of diamonds side by side, I usually pick the d and e ones out. Its kind of weird actually.
I don''t mind going the online route, I just wasn''t sure about the credibility of it all. And I read somewhere, can''t remember where, about being aware of fillers in diamonds to reduce blemishes and all. It was said that they take blemished diamonds, fill in or laser etch, I can''t remember what, and then sell at a higher standard. But I like the idea of going online and paying tax money to go for a bigger diamond. I would still like to go for a D or E though. I like how they look better. I will take a look at blue nile and white flash.
Are those who you all recommend??

Plus, later in life, maybe I can get her a bigger diamond and take that nice clear D or E and have it made into a necklace thingy or something later on.
This is great, keep the ideas bouncing on me!!!
Thanks

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Whiteflash doesn''t have those diamonds that have been drilled and filled. They all have GIA or AGS certificates and if you choose one from their "A Cut Above" line, which is super ideal cut, or "Expert Selection," you will find yourself with a very beautiful diamond extremely well cut at a considerable savings. I think half the people here must have their diamonds from Whiteflash.

Also keep in mind that if you get a really well cut stone it will look very white. Even some people here who have bought J whiteflash stones are amazed at how white they look.

www.whiteflash.com

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
I have a WF Expert Selection I/SI2 rb. I love it! It''s very white and eye clean. I would strongly recommend you atleast consider I colored stones. You can get a bigger stone for the money. ALthough, I think .5 diamonds are a good size, I almost went that route but got a .7 instead. I am a fan of the under-1-carats.

That said, here''s a couple from WF that fit your parameters, just to give you a sense:

.52 E SI2

.51 F SI2

Good luck!!
35.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
hmm, what do you mean by "clear" D or E? Color doesn't really mean "clear".

It is also possible that you've been looking at poorly cut stones, or stones that are somewhat misrepresented (if they don't come w/ GIA or AGS reports). Stones that are not cut well will show much more body color than ideal cuts.

That said, I highly recommend the internet route. You can get a great, sparkly, ideal cut stone at a good price. The vendors around here are very reputable and don't engage in anything sketchy like filling diamonds. And if you're worried, you can get your stone appraised anyway.

devildog

Rough_Rock
Ok,
What about one of these:
http://www.bluenile.ca/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00274201&item=4_290&filter_id=0&sec=&query=&page=1&sortby=price
or
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-195524

let me now what you think?

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn''t get the second link to work.....after consulting my handy dandy chart of measurements, on paper this diamond looks good to me! I''m sort of a newbie myself but as far as everything i''ve learned on here this is an excellent diamond and a great price! The color and clarity are good AND like I said all the measurements look great. You found any settings you like yet? Don''t worry about it being .5 carats. Most of my girlfriends have half carat rings believe it or not. Mines even smaller and i''m upgrading to a .7. The whole carat just seemed kinda big (I already bang mine around quite a bit) and add that to my wedding band, which is a 1/2 carat the whole carat stone looked sort of bulky. I believe you mentioned she has little/thin fingers?? Thats even better! You have to think of the size of the persons hands too, a 1/2 carat will look bigger on her then someone with larger hands....and if she''s going to get a wedding band with diamonds in it or a thicker band overall the effect with be just fine :) After all most ladies that I know want quality over quantity. :)

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Yes, "clear" refers to clarity. D or E refers to color. What do you mean by a clear D or E?

If you like diamonds to be colorless, than that is what you should get. I, myself have a D for my e-ring. Just remember, you will be sacrificing alot of size for such premium color. What about going down in clarity? A VS2 will look as clear as an IF, to 99% of people. They are by definition, eye clean. I will not comment on the stones you chose, as I am not an expert in rounds.

devildog

Rough_Rock
oops:
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1955246.htm
I think this is the correct link for the second one.
As for a setting, I was just going to get a plain solitaire setting and get something nicer when I come back...

I definitely want the color of e or d. As for clarity, I guess I really could go down to a vs2 vs. vvs1...
I''ll look through them again.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
DevilDog,

The WF stone looks great. And I understand you liking the higher colors (D and E), but I''m glad you will consider Fs too. All three are in the "colorless" range which means you will never see any tint whatsoever. I have had an E and an F stone, and while I''m color sensitive too, I couldn''t tell the difference. Both looked fantastic. And actually, most jewelers think my current F stone is at least an E when they look at it
3.gif

And I would absolutely feel 100% safe going with WF. I prefer them over BlueNile even.

Also, you can check out www.goodoldgold.com. They are another stellar online jeweler. You can search here on PS for reviews of all the above mentioned vendors if you please.

As for clarity, it is a personal preference, but you are safe going down to a VS2 and not having any eye visible inclusions. If you go with WF or GOG, you could always go lower (to SI1 or SI2) and trust their opinions of whether the inclusions are eye visible. But to be safe, stick with a VS2 and you will save a little money over a VVS2 or VVS1 or VS1 (and just like going with an F instead of a D colored stone), you will never tell the difference without the help of a lot of magnification
2.gif

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, just my thoughts, and I hope I don''t offend portoar, but I''ve been to almost all the jewelry stores in downtown SF, since I live in the city. Do NOT go to Simayof; that''s the one right next door to Macy''s, across the square from Tiffany. They''re salespeople circle you like sharks the minute you walk into the store. One of the saleswomen actually had the nerve to assume that my birthday ring was purchased from them AND claimed that she recognized us from the last time she saw us! (I''ve never seen her in my life, and the last time my SO bought something from there was 7 years ago!) Talk about outright lying...

There is also a building on Powell st called International Jewelers. I wouldn''t recommend going in there either, because I once went there with a friend and asked to see VS clarity diamonds and color grades no lower than an F. He kept trying to push G-H, SI stones on me to look at (not that there''s anything wrong with them, they''re just not mind clean for me). Another friend purchased a diamond pave necklace for her wedding from him, and he was downright RUDE!! She was trying to negotiate with him, and he gave her a price, said "Here. Take it or leave." That''s not a typo, he didn''t say "leave it." And walked off without another word! Hope this helps.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, I''m not offended at all. I just remembered them being there from my Bay Area days, I''ve never bought a diamond at those places. By all means, we want to steer our Marine away from sharks. . . . I am glad you spoke up.

devildog

Rough_Rock
Ooh Rah Portoar (Navy? Coast Guard?)
Cinderella-I appreciate the warnings. Quite frankly, if someone said that to me, I would have gotten very loud.
I have been on the internet and the phone calling the internet guys, and I had a really good conversation with the White flash people.
I called some others as well. But the WF people were really nice and helpful. Friendly which has been kind of rare in the B&M side of things.
So to cut it short I ordered the set up from them.
They have the 10 day return, thats if I don''t like anything ( I would just be worried that the six prong setting is too many for a .52 ct diamond).
Anyways, they are very nice and had great things to say about this website, which I mentioned was how I heard of them. I hope that the reference helps this site out somehow.

Wow, I am a quick draw when it comes to shopping.

devildog

Rough_Rock
0311 (b billeting now though...tried to get a commission)

devildog

Rough_Rock
You?

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2005 5:40:24 PM
Author: devildog
Ooh Rah Portoar (Navy? Coast Guard?)
Cinderella-I appreciate the warnings. Quite frankly, if someone said that to me, I would have gotten very loud.
I have been on the internet and the phone calling the internet guys, and I had a really good conversation with the White flash people.
I called some others as well. But the WF people were really nice and helpful. Friendly which has been kind of rare in the B&M side of things.
So to cut it short I ordered the set up from them.
They have the 10 day return, thats if I don''t like anything ( I would just be worried that the six prong setting is too many for a .52 ct diamond).
Anyways, they are very nice and had great things to say about this website, which I mentioned was how I heard of them. I hope that the reference helps this site out somehow.

Wow, I am a quick draw when it comes to shopping.
No, not navy or coast guard, former rower . . . I rowed port side, unless I was sculling, in which case I had 2 oars . . .

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your WF purchase, I''m sure you''ll be very pleased! Let us know when the ring arrives and how you like it . . . and when you give it to your girl, please take pictures and post them!

koko

Shiny_Rock
My husband bought my diamond upgrade at Shane Co., and he knew nothing about diamond cut quality ("make") when he went shopping. He just knew he wanted "E" colorless, like you do....lucky for him they purchase very well cut diamonds & mine is beautiful. The price was right also....I priced the same size/color/cut grade at BlueNile.com & they were selling it for over $700.00 more than what we paid at Shane Co. this past summer!! Also, he got 12 mos. same as cash & their trade-up policies and guarantees are terrific....just a thought.....I know they have stores in California, don''t know how close to SF. Good Luck.

koko

Shiny_Rock
Oops, missed that you already ordered a stone.....I''m sure it will be lovely & your gf will be very happy, it sounds like you''ve put a lot of time & thought into this!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Congrats DevilDog!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results