shape
carat
color
clarity

The American Diamond Exchange - New Haven, CT?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Incognito2

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone....I have been a silent reader for about the past 3 weeks, and am loving all of the support and discussion that goes on here. I have been able to do a great deal of research because of this site, for which I am grateful. I am not sure the shape or size of the diamond nor the exact design of the band that I wish to put together for the e-ring, and realize that I must see stones in person to get a feel for the shape and size that strikes me. With that in mind, I went yesterday to the American Diamond Exchange in New Haven, CT to get a look at some stones in person. My first impression is that this place is very different from "mall stores". They were very helpful in showing me some stones and explained how they have 4 goldsmiths on-site that can work with me to set my stone into an existing setting or fashion a custom design if that is what I should wish. Also, the owner told me that most people get round stones in the VS1-SI2, G-H range (pretty much the value advise I have read here) but he would show me any stones I would like and take me through the microscope and point out differences among them, taking as much time as I wanted to spend. I am wondering if anyone has dealt with ADEX before, and if so how have your experiences been. I am also wondering if, when I decide on the size and shape of the stone I would like, if I would be better served by finding the stone online and bringing it in to be set (will I get more for the price that way). Some considerations: Budget = approx $10,000, looking at Round, Princess, Cushion, Asscher stones, probably want Pave setting). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
I have been their once - also just to look around - and they were great in answering all of my questions. The prices seemed to be a bit higher than you can sometimes get through PS. But then again, you get to see the diamonds in person if you go there so it might be worth a few extra bucks.

Mike

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Incognito,

This post may be unfair, based on my shopping attentiveness from 17 years ago, so keep that in mind. But, I did make a purchase from them then for about 1 1/2 hours.

My advice: read my shopping suggestions under my signature, and consider reading this recent related post as well. Specifically, also go to Savitts, see if either store will speak to you candidly about the details of cut (to include info about crown & pavilion angles), and if not, consider walking.

To read about some of the much I've said before, you can search on my threads, searching on "New Haven." Interestingly, this seems to be the first thread discussing American Diamond Exchange (ADE). Your post motivated me to call them today. They say they're working on a website; also, that they carry diamonds with and without certs, and those with have either GIA and EGL certs. This seems neither remarkable nor especially commendable.

Medium story...I'd come to trust Savitts, bought an engagement ring there, but wasn't ready to give it to the woman who is now my wife within 30 days, so I returned it to them. Later, having moved away, I flew in, went to ADE, purchased a diamond, drove it to Savitts, they suggested the color was over graded, and I returned it, buying instead a second diamond from Savitts, which I later regretted. Back then, I knew I wanted a well cut diamond, and asked for it, but didn't know how to specify what I wanted. Now I do.

Incognito2

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gonzo and Regular. I have an appointment to go look at some stones with them at 10:30 today. I feel like, at the very least, since I am completely virgin to this territory, I want to see these stones in person, even if I end up making my purchase from an internet shop. My problem is that I have no mental basis for what a 1.5 carat round vs a 1.5 carat princess vs a 1.5 carat cushion etc. is when looking in person. Also, I need to see the differences in the cut qualities, color, clarity etc. in person to make any decision about even what shape and size to go with. I will ask for the all-important crown and pavilion angle numbers and make sure they will give them to me freely. I will keep you posted on how things turn out...I''m simply hoping today will help me decide on the shape I would like...hopefully not too lofty a task. Thanks again for your posts.....and anyone else PLEASE chime in!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Incognito2:

In my opinion you must have an idealscope in hand when shopping local stores (or an ASET scope). Then you can quiclky see how well the diamond is cut from a light return standpoint.

This is a very simple tool to use, and it cuts past all the angle information with a simple glance - and works on all shapes of diamonds and on diamonds that are mounted (some people on this sight would not buy without having all the angles and detailed dimensions - the idealscope tells you the same essential thing (how well the diamond returns light) - and takes about 10 minutes to learn to use).

I also recommend the ideallight (the light table) for loose diamonds.

Without this tool - you are literally blind to how well the diamond will really look.

Click on IdealScope on link in the Tools section above. you can usually get one in a couple of days. If in the Philidelphia area - Old Miner stocks them.

Recently their was a web vidoe link posted on how to use the idealscope with a loose stone.

An ASET scope takes a little more to learn to use and is not commonly available.

Perry

ps: There is a handy set of ideal scope, light table, tweezers, loupe, and "ideal cut Cubic Z" for a great price. That is what I bought.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2005 9:56:35 AM
Author: Incognito2
I will ask for the all-important crown and pavilion angle numbers and make sure they will give them to me freely.
BTW, if you''re not looking for a round, they''re not all that important, and Perry is dead on about the Idealscope. Then, even for rounds, the author of the HCA would probably say requiring that data is for weenies, and just get an idealscope and you''re fine. But, for my 1000s of dollars, I''d want to be more conservative, and have that data, too. Also, I don''t have the sense sense of certainty using the IS my friends have, but, I''ve really used it very little, which probably helps explain. I agree with Perry, and suggest that can be a helpful tool.

Incognito2

Rough_Rock
Again, thanks for the input. I went to ADEX (American Diamond Exchange) today and spoke with one of the salesmen there. To his credit, he was patient and attentive in showing me the stones they had selected...though, of course, he is a salesman and does this for a living so it is difficult to ascertain just how "forward" with ALL of the information he was (especially for such a rookie like me). Essentially, I had told him I am thinking 1.25-1.5 carat cushion, princess, or asscher....and he had his cutters deliver a 1.2 cushion and a 1.2 asscher. I should probably start a new thread with the stats to see if the prices are fair, but during our meeting they surely struck me as high compared to what I have "seen" online. One interesting point to consider during the whole process was when (on the prodding of Regular), I asked about cut, he stated that they only stock very high grades of cut there. This could completely be true, although I have no way of knowing that, since the GIA certs they have don''t quantify this. I feel that I do like the personal service I get there, but they are obviously not impartial in their analysis of their own stones, and I feel like I could get similar stones for less money online. I am a bit frustrated in that I am a novice in the analysis of the stones and that I feel I want to see a bunch of stones so I can develop my ability to pick "the one" well. Is an idealscope the correct tool to use to see how brilliant it will be in the setting I choose? Should I have the jeweler provide a number of stones to use the idealscope on and choose based on the return using that tool? Are B+M prices negotiable based on a search of similar stones I can find online or is that completely unacceptable? I want to get the best stone for my budget and want the ring I get to be something that is completely unique (therefore my desire to not use a round). Again, I do appreciate the attention from the site. Any help would be greatly accepted!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After having seen their billboards for years, I finally made it in there ( a few years ago). I do not think it had anything I couldn't find elsewhere and I have relationships with other jewelers in Connecticut and on-line already.

I like Grunberger's in Stamford, Connecticut. The staff there is very special. You can buy a diamond from a reputable on-line dealer for less, but Grunberger's combines really nice, personal service with great benchwork on the premises and creativity. I got a nicer tanzanite there than I could find anywhere else. They also made up the ring for it...but I had bought the diamond sidestones on-line ;-).

Deborah

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results