shape
carat
color
clarity

.35ct OEC bezel necklace – chain length advice?

Bunnie

Rough_Rock
Hi fabulous bling friends,

I've been a long-time lurker, finally working on my first project with David Klass! Fiancé got me an upgrade since we've been engaged for almost 5 years now – covid derailed our plans, and we haven't set any new ones yet. We're resetting my original diamond (0.35ct G, SI2 OEC) into a white gold sliding bezel pendant. David's working on the CAD right now, hopefully it'll be ready in time to be a birthday present from my fiancé in January. I'll come back and show you all when it's done, of course! ;)2

My dilemma: what length chain should I have David put it on? David suggested 18", but I'm worried that might hang a little too low on me. I'm in my late 20s, average height, and on the slim side, so I was thinking 17" might work well? I've attached pictures of me wearing both 16" and 18" chains with small pendants (the larger one is ~6mm across, which will be the size of the new pendant). I'm pretty certain in-between is what I want/what would look best on me. But I'd love some of your more experienced eyes to take a look!

Thanks <3

(excuse the cami and bare face, WFH has spoiled me!)

Attachments

• IMG_3895.jpg
    IMG_3895.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3915.jpg
    IMG_3915.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3874.jpg
    IMG_3874.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 27

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
You could go with the 18" and have extra jumprings added at 16/17 (or whatever interval you like) so that you can wear the necklace at different lengths depending on your neckline/layering/etc. I have that for most of my necklaces, and it's super handy :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with the above comment - have options!

But just to clarify - when you say you're resetting your 'original diamond' - do you mean from your e-ring? Does that mean you've upgraded your e-ring diamond? And that you've shared NO PHOTOS? Oh, the horror! Get to it, madam! .. :mrgreen: ..:wavey:..

Bunnie

Rough_Rock
@CircularBrilliant Oh that's so smart, duh! Thank you!

@mrs-b :shifty: You caught me there! I have no glamour shots yet to share and I want to do it justice, lol. (Also, super silly of me but, the jeweler rhodium plated it because I forgot to ask them not to, and I kind of want to wait to show it off until the plating wears off more and the white gold warms up the way I like it...)
I'll tell you though, it's a 1ct G SI1 OEC – fiancé spoiled me :kiss2: And he let me design the setting, he knows me too well!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I vote 17”. That’s what I had my pendant at too. Looks like it’d be the perfect length for you, IMO

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It depends on your neckline, so for that I vote adjustable.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would recommend a variable chain with extra jump rings at the end, so that it could be extended between 16 or 17 to 18in.

I bought a 2mm box chain in 16in at a good price from Etsy, and bought a 2in extender separately so that I can use the chain with different pendants in various lengths.

DK :))

Bunnie

Rough_Rock
I too would recommend a variable chain with extra jump rings at the end, so that it could be extended between 16 or 17 to 18in.

I bought a 2mm box chain in 16in at a good price from Etsy, and bought a 2in extender separately so that I can use the chain with different pendants in various lengths.

So smart to have the extender as a separate piece, to avoid the extra dangly chain at the back!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So smart to have the extender as a separate piece, to avoid the extra dangly chain at the back!

I would always have that though as 16in is too short for my fat neck!

It was a very good price so I could not resist, and is good with my longer pearl pendants to wear it as a 17in necklace.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 18" is way too long for a small solitaire pendant. Most people wear them at the shortest length, such as 16". I definitely wouldn't make it 18. Maybe 17 with a ring at 16, but then you'll have chain dangling whenever you wear it on 16". So 16" with a 1" extender is a good idea. I only wear larger pendants at 18".

Bunnie

Rough_Rock
@diamondseeker2006 I’m local to DK, so I’m hoping to go in and try different lengths before committing. I agree that 18” may be too long on me.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the 16 on you, especially for a delicate slider. Maybe even with a jump ring at 15", so it sits in the hollow of the throat and is easier to layer with other chains, if this is going to be an all day every day necklace.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion only, I prefer a solitaire necklace close to the neck. Sort of like a choker. So that depends on your size neck. It looks to be petite like my neck is and for me 14" is a choker. So I would measure your neck and go from there. I might do 14" with jump rings at 15" and 16" for different options. None of them too long and these lengths would work with different necklines on your tops/sweaters.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I too like my necklaces shorter. This size solitaire will look stunning layered so I’d opt for 15” or 16”. The upside to shorter necklaces would be that they show well when wearing a higher neckline (which in my neck of the woods is important in chilly winter!)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking 16 but would probably go 17 with a jump ring at 16.

Bunnie

Rough_Rock
Hi all, thanks for sharing your opinions & advice! I ended up going with 18” with a loop at 16”, and Amy @ DK told me to come in if I ended up wanting to choose a length permanently. New thread with details & pix: link

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results