shape
carat
color
clarity

Matching WBs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Do you think that both wedding bands should be out of the same metal so as to match? I know my BF would want a white gold or plat WB, but I was thinking about going with yellow gold. I know I should just do whatever makes me happy, but I can''t get over this gut-feeling that they should be the same metal.

Am I being silly? Do yours match?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i agree that you should do what makes you happy. what would make **me** happy is to have them sorta match. my BF is eying a titanum with platinum band that has a little diamond in it. I am actually wondering if we could have it made with WG instead of platinum to match my e-ring metal. That''s also a reason that i didn''t go with YG for my ring set. he really didn''t want to go YG.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
My mother had a yellow gold WB and my father had a white gold WB. They were, however, the same style of WB. Perhaps you could try that, assuming that your Ering doesn''t require a special shape.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
whatever makes you happy.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cartier tri-color "rolling" bands were in vogue for a long time. Would you ever do duo-tone or tri-color. If you''re feeling loosey-goosey you could do yellow gold for the e-ring (maybe with platinum or WG prongs - as is customary) then a two tone or tri-color band that would semi-match whatever he wanted.

Though, personally, I abhor rules of any kind when it comes to matchy-matchy stuff. I believe my Fiance is doing "white" metal ... either Titanium, Platinum or a combination of the two. Me: platinum e-ring & future band.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t worry about matching metals or rings. Get rings that you both want. If they are similar, then fine; if they are different, then fine.

Actually, now that I think of it, everyone I know does NOT have even remotely matching rings.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What does your fiance think? I was surprised to discover that mine wanted us to get the exact same ring (in different sizes, of course). He felt really strongly about it, and although I thought it was sort of silly at first, I came to appreciate the romance. We had a fiendish time finding rings that suited both our hands, but we did it.

Anyway, all this is to say: Make sure you take his preferences into account, if he has any.

If he doesn''t, I think you should get whatever you like best.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could just get him to wear a WB.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
When we got married, our rings weren''t even close to each other. I had (still have) a shared prong set anniversary type band, and he got a plain yellow gold comfort fit band. He now has a titanium band and I have an eternity band that I switch off with my shared prong band.

Whatever floats your boat!

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I''m at the point of choosing an e-ring, so the reason I''m stressing over it is because I know already that he wants WG, but I''m debating between a YG e-ring or plat. I personally don''t know any couple whose rings are of the same style, but they all seem to have rings that are at least made of the same metal. For some reason, I appreciate the feeling of unity that matching WBs represent.

I do like some of the ideas you guys have thrown out, though...thanks so much!

I''ll probably just end up going with plat because his will be and it''s so much more in style right now. I love the beauty of YG, but I don''t want people to look at my e-ring and think it''s ugly. Most of my friends are so against YG in this day and age. I know that shouldn''t matter to me, but I do want people to think my e-ring is beautiful. And I''m so 50/50 as it is...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDgirl:
Our WB''s totally don''t match. He has lost two since we were married two years ago...we started out with mine platinum with diamonds, his 18k white gold with a braided design; he lost that one and got a new, 14k WG brushed band, lost that one and returned to buy exactly the same thing. It''s never bothered either of us that his is a different metal or style. I honestly don''t know of many couples myself who have matching wedding bands. For men who don''t even wear jewelry on an everyday basis, or at all, for that matter, I think they should love theirs and you should love yours.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2005 10:40:53 AM
Author: JDgirl
I''m at the point of choosing an e-ring, so the reason I''m stressing over it is because I know already that he wants WG, but I''m debating between a YG e-ring or plat. I personally don''t know any couple whose rings are of the same style, but they all seem to have rings that are at least made of the same metal. For some reason, I appreciate the feeling of unity that matching WBs represent.

I do like some of the ideas you guys have thrown out, though...thanks so much!

I''ll probably just end up going with plat because his will be and it''s so much more in style right now. I love the beauty of YG, but I don''t want people to look at my e-ring and think it''s ugly. Most of my friends are so against YG in this day and age. I know that shouldn''t matter to me, but I do want people to think my e-ring is beautiful. And I''m so 50/50 as it is...

Wow, where to start. First of all I have a friend who has a YG set (she hates white metal with her skin tone) and she told me the looks people give her which I think is terrible
29.gif
You should not have to defend your jewelry. If you like it (and believe me YG WILL make a come back) then that is ALL that is important. Don''t be pressured into chosing something because of trends. Also unless you are both getting the SAME rings (different sizes) they will not have the "feeling of unity". If you get a diamond band and he gets a plain THEY WILL NOT BE A MATCHING SET. Having the metal in common is one of MANY factors to matching. I used to work for a girl that loved YG and got a RB with pear emeralds on the side (beautiful!) and her husband got a WG band. They did what makes them happy. Rings do not = the marriage. It might be a symbol but don''t you want the ring of your dreams not the ring of your friends'' dreams?!?
33.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry, the really hip taste-setters are already switching to yellow gold. You''ll be in the vanguard.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
You should go with whatever makes you happy. I think yellow gold is very beautiful, and am actually thinking about getting a RHR in yellow gold (my rings are platinum). My husband has a yellow gold ring with single milgrain, while I have a platinum channel set ring. Ours don''t match at all, but they were what we liked best on ourselves.

Chinchy

Rough_Rock
I''ll just post a counter point...

When my fiancée and I were getting engaged, we were looking at rings... We both decided mutually that we liked the idea of having matching wedding bands, because of the symbolism of jointness and togetherness and sharing a common bond. But I wanted a satin polished hammered ring, and she wanted a polished engagement ring, and the two don''t really go together. We looked and looked and looked, but couldn''t find anything that went well together. So we gave up on the stores.

Instead we had a custom matching set lovingly designed and handcrafted for us by Phillip Schmidt of PlatinumSmith. We aren''t married (yet!) but we are both absolutely thrilled and happy at how the rings turned out, and eve happier that we were able to have matching bands.

This is what made us happy, and you should do whatever will make you happy. Your love for each other will transcend the rings on your fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results