shape
carat
color
clarity

Cherry Red Fire Opal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
After a long day, with too much writing I decided to go walking to clear my head and because I still think of it as a treat. When I got home and check my mail there was a most wondrous treat awaiting me! The lovely and talented Miss Deb had sent me a ring that is just amazing. I cannot even describe how gorgeous and striking this ring is in person. The pictures simply cannot capture what your eye sees.
The setting sleek and smooth, it just arches up and the prongs seem to melt out of the shank. When I slid it on my finger I was just drooling, it fit perfectly and is just so WOW!
I have never seen a red opal before. I had not even heard of them until I read Deb’s original post (found here). For those of you who are like me and had been missing out on them it is incredible! At the first glance it looks similar to a deep garnet. Then with the slightest movement it comes to life. Standing out side in the middle of the night my breath was taken away. It is like someone took a diamond and pored blood into it. That sounds a bit morbid but that is the depth and the richness of the color, there is almost a viscosity to it. The flashes are divine!
Can ya’ll tell I just love it?

sideveiwofsettingror.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
9.gif

handshotdepth.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

galleryofredtogold.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

redopalonklshand.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
And the best for last!!!!

firewithin.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow strm, that is very kool too!
I am so
30.gif
gaga over this ring....I just cannot stop staring at it. Everytime I move my hand it just glows!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
OH wow.. it is just scrumptous!! I love it!! It was wonderful of Deb to give it to you.. she has a good heart.. (and great taste in jewelry.. no?)
28.gif
I have seen more of an orangy yellow fire opal before.. but nothing that color.. I like this color much more.. it is beautiful! Congratulations!!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Isnt she though!
36.gif
I am wearing it right now.
9.gif
I had it on in class today and three diffrent girls(and one boy) asked me about it. Everyone just loved the stone. Lecture hall lighting is fantastic! I have no clue what made Miss Deb do such a sweet and wonderful thing, but boy oh boy, I am awfully thankful.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/8/2005 1:59:54 PM
Author: Matatora
I have no clue what made Miss Deb do such a sweet and wonderful thing, but boy oh boy, I am awfully thankful.

You are a sweetheart. The truth is, that once in a while, what goes around comes around. Not as often as it should, but sometimes. You have been a good friend to me on Pricescope, standing by me when I made faux pas here because you have a sweet nature. Add to that, that I did not need four rings and that you had said you admired them...and there you have it!

Hugs to you,
Deb

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am loving this Fire Opal! I wish ya''ll could see it too. I have read in a few places and Miss Deb informed me that the stone can get dry.
How do I prevent the stone from getting dry? Is there anything I can do to moisturize it?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2005 5:33:42 AM
Author: Matatora
How do I prevent the stone from getting dry? Is there anything I can do to moisturize it?

I hope we can get a jeweler or someone else more knowledgeable about opals than I am over here to answer this question. I tried to research it on the 'net and got one person advising something another person said never to do...in many cases! (One said to store it in plastic bag and one said never to do so, for instance!)

One thing upon which everyone appears to agree is that opals must be treated gently. Almost every website that discussed care of opals said not to garden in them and many other mentioned not doing housework in them.

Here is some advice I found:

"Opals are composed of between three and 20 per cent water and as such, they should not allowed to freeze or dry out. In the case of solid opal, an occasional light rinsing in fresh water is recommended. However, never immerse a triplet or doublet opal in water for any reason whatsoever because such an action may cause permanent damage.

When storing opals, avoid plastic bags and dry storage conditions. Soft cloth bags with padding are ideal for opals. If storing a solid opal, take it out for an occasional wipe with a damp cloth or a dip in fresh water.

Use a soft dry cloth to clean opals. With care, opals may be enjoyed for many years to come.

As mentioned earlier, opal contains water: spending time in the enclosed space of the display case under the heat of the overhead spotlights can make an opal thirsty! Therefore, a container of water helps the opal retain this moisture by creating a humid atmosphere in the showcase."

This was excerpted from this website: costellos.

What I took from this is: don't wear your opal in freezing weather or very hot, dry weather or let the ring sit in a frozen or very hot, dry place. It appears that it can crack from cold or extreme heat. Put it on when you want to wear it, but take it off when you resume doing chores of any kind. Wipe it with a cloth, as one might wipe cultured pearls.

I am interested in any more tips on opal care :).

Deborah

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results