shape
carat
color
clarity

Omega question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Well, with gift giving season rapidly approaching, I''m trying to come up with "hints" or ideas to make shopping easier for my hubby
9.gif
. Our anniversary is next month, then Christmas, my birthday is in January, and Valentine''s day follows in February. He''s got lots of shopping to do!

One idea I''ve been toying with is a cute slide type pendant. I''ve had my eye on it for quite a while. My problem is, I mostly only have rope chains or box chains to wear with a pendant. And I don''t think that those types of chains will look right with a slide. The jeweler told me that most people wear slides with omega chains, sometimes with herringbones. I have never had good luck with herringbones. They always seem to kink up on me, and don''t lay right on my neck for some reason. I have one chain, it''s a very thick diamond cut rope that is 15 inches and rests just on my collar bone. But when I put a heavy pendant or slide on it, it sort of hangs lower and chokes me. I don''t want that. I want a chain that is going to lay right along my collar bone without hanging, so that the slide will rest right in that little notch in my collar bone.

My question...do any of you have an omega? I had one years ago that I returned, because it was too wide and seemed stiff. Are they all like that, or are some more flexible? Do they stick up or flip over when you wear them? Do they kink like herringbones? Any information about omega chains or necklaces is greatly appreciated.
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I do, I have a cute one that is SS. It is about 5mm wide and sits nicely on the neck. When I get back to school I will take a picture of it.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I have a 6 mm wide 14K yellow gold Omega that I''ve had for many years. It feels like butter and does not flip at all, but you are right, there are some that are stiff and do not lay right on the back of your neck. I only have a yellow gold slide for mine, but I need to get something 2-tone since my new wedding set is white metal.

I''ve seen them now where they are yellow gold on one side and white on the other. Now that''s versatile.
2.gif

I have a friend who has an 8 mm wide 14K yellow gold Omega. It looks fantastic on her -- although she is 5''11" in her bare feet so that helps. My 6 mm looked small on her.

If you get a 4 mm, more slides/pendants will fit on it. I had a hard time finding what I wanted to fit my 6 mm.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2005 2:55:06 PM
Author: diamondlil
I have a 6 mm wide 14K yellow gold Omega that I''ve had for many years. It feels like butter and does not flip at all, but you are right, there are some that are stiff and do not lay right on the back of your neck. I only have a yellow gold slide for mine, but I need to get something 2-tone since my new wedding set is white metal.

I''ve seen them now where they are yellow gold on one side and white on the other. Now that''s versatile.
2.gif

I have a friend who has an 8 mm wide 14K yellow gold Omega. It looks fantastic on her -- although she is 5''11'' in her bare feet so that helps. My 6 mm looked small on her.

If you get a 4 mm, more slides/pendants will fit on it. I had a hard time finding what I wanted to fit my 6 mm.
I think I would probably go with a 3-4mm if I get one. I am short (5''2") and fairly petite. I don''t have a long, elegant neck that can carry off a chunky necklace really well.

I also like the idea of having one that is yellow gold on one side and white on the other. I wear both, so it would be like two chains for the price of one!

Is yours any specific kind of omega? I was looking in a catalog, and I noticed that there a few different kinds. One was called a "woven" omega, and had kind of a lacey, basket weave look to it. The omega that I had several years ago was very thick and had wide links, that''s why I think it was so stiff. It felt like a gold dog collar when I tried it on...lol. I returned it and got the thicker 15 inch rope chain instead. I wear that pretty much everyday, but it doesn''t look good with slides or pendants on it. It hangs with a slide, and most of my pendants do not have a wide enough bale to accomodate it.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Matatora, thanks for the link! That looks a lot like the one I saw in the catalog (less expensive, too). I like that sort of open look. A lot of the omegas I''ve seen look really heavy, and that one looks very dainty. Me like!

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I have a very smooth one that is about 2mm (or maybe 1.8!!).....I love it! You can really see a pendant when I wear something like a shirt with buttons. I need to have the bail on my diamond pendant opened up a bit so that I can wear that on on it...

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I have a 6mm YG omega and I love it. Look for a domed omega and this will all but eliminate any flipping. The slide will help stabilize it as well.
1.gif

I LOVE the look of a sleek omega even by itself.
2.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
After I saw Matatora''s link, I have been looking at the QVC. There certainly are a lot of them. I will probably end up going and trying some different ones on. There is a K''s merchandise near me that has heaps of different chains and necklaces, and I know they carry a lot of omegas. I sort of like the domed style better than the flat ones. I saw that some were smooth, some were diamond cut, some were brushed gold. YIKES. Too many options.

I would probably wear one alone quite a bit, especially if I get one of the wider ones. I am going to buy this for myself, and let hubby buy a nice slide to go with it. One that I''ve had my eye on is an enameled leopard with a tiny diamond for the eye. It''s way too cool. I like it because it reminds me of my cat, who has leopard spots. I also saw a heart shaped gold slide with a diamond.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a picture of the slide I am really wanting, but here is another one that I found that I like, too.

leopard slide.jpg

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
This is actually more like the one I have been looking at, only with diamonds for the eye.

leopard  slide enamel.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2005 10:20:04 PM
Author: sjz
I don''t have a picture of the slide I am really wanting, but here is another one that I found that I like, too.
Oh, that first one is just divine!
30.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2005 10:36:38 PM
Author: Jennifer5973

Date: 8/17/2005 10:20:04 PM
Author: sjz
Oh, that first one is just divine!
30.gif
Yes, it is! That particular one is done is Swarovski crystals I think. If I had one like that, I''d want mine in diamonds and emeralds, though...
2.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Another really pretty slide. I like the diamond "collar".

leopard slide 3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results