carat
color
clarity

32 Year Old Ex-"Hedge Funder" Raises Price of AIDS Drug 5500

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 32 Year Old Ex-"Hedge Funder" Raises Price of AIDS Drug

What is he, 12?! Both in looks and his attitude in his tweets/interviews. Disgusting. I'm hoping there is something that can be done - isn't price gouging illegal? I think it is in Canada, but we don't seem to have this kind of problem up here...

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

what is wrong with people? it's an important drug to AIDS patients, it's evil what he did. shame shame on him. :angryfire: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

I lost my one and only sibling to Aids in the early 90's. When he died, AZT and other drug cocktails were not approved. He died a horrible and painful death, and being by his side, it killed me.
I hate that this is something that is allowed to go on.. Does this man not have a heart??

So sorry to hear of this... This month my brother would have been 57... I miss him each and every day... :blackeye:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Kaleigh said:
I lost my one and only sibling to Aids in the early 90's. When he died, AZT and other drug cocktails were not approved. He died a horrible and painful death, and being by his side, it killed me.
I hate that this is something that is allowed to go on.. Does this man not have a heart??

So sorry to hear of this... This month my brother would have been 57... I miss him each and every day... :blackeye:

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my mother from pancreatic cancer when I was a teenager, and she also died a long, agonizingly painful death, so I can relate to your experience. To think that someone could increase a terminally ill person's suffering--by either making their medications prohibitively expensive or making their life more difficult by making them jump through hoops to get insurance approval--is unimaginable. My thoughts on this person are that he is nothing but an evil, greedy, low-life and I hope that there is such a thing as karma.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Long live capitalism ... fortunately that means here comes competition.

Soon other companies will produce this patent-free drug generically, and the price will plummet.

This is a blip.

But yeah, that man should have his skin peeled off, get covered in salt, then left in the desert for the scorpions to eat.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1442959412|3930674 said:
But yeah, that man should have his skin peeled off, get covered in salt, then left in the desert for the scorpions to eat.

That is... very creative.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock

distracts said:

Second this!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tuffyluvr|1442960033|3930678 said:
distracts said:

Second this!

Aw, shucks!
Y'alls are just too kind.

screen_shot_2015-09-22_at_3.png

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kaleigh|1442957933|3930669 said:

Kaleigh, I am so very sorry about your brother. Such random bad luck to get that. It must have been very difficult for you to watch all the leaps and advances made in the ensuing years. I am sure you will always miss him. Maybe you could plant a tree or a plaque somewhere in his memory? Or make a donation each year on his birthday or Christmas to an AIDS charity? You might already do these things, of course. On significant anniversaries surrounding my departed loved ones, sometimes I go for a meal and have their favorite food and drink, and talk about them with someone, and then I go home and watch a movie or a TV series that they loved. I think a deep tribute is to incorporate some of their best behavior into your life. For example, my mother always wrote letters of condolence - not just a card, an actual letter - with her nice memories of the person. So I always do that. Anyway, I am very, very sorry for your loss.

I hope the government finds a way to deal with this jackass who has raised the price of the meds. Karma is a b*tch on wheels though, and I have seen more than one person get exactly what they deserve from the universe, sometimes in short order.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, I saw this on the news today.
I couldn't believe this little twerp was actually grinning in between sentences.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is why, when people say; "the reason tjere is no cure to cancer/aids/diabetes/whatever is that there is no profit in it" I sadly agree.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It costs $1 a pill to produce so the original $13.50 was still a profit.
I just read an article about tying a guy to a tree and letting ants bite his legs and b***s till he begged for mercy. Another good punishment.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I need bait and chum for the upcoming summer shark season...

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with all of your sentiments, but what I need to point out, is what he did is entirely legal.
The problem is our capitalistic, for-profit based healthcare. This is one of the outcomes of it. It's nice that we have the ACA, but there really needs to be a single payer system in order to streamline payments/processing, allow continuous care from prenatal to grave that incentivizes keeping people healthy versus denying care, as well as negotiating standardized and lower costs from everything from medications to procedures. This could not happen in Canada, Great Britain or even Cuba.
We've brought this on ourselves. Maybe we can learn from it.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My understanding is that it is a drug rarely used and that he is raising money/awareness to find a better drug. Something like that - can't remember.
All I know is that I was less upset after I read the explanation.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I will say that I think "Big Pharmaceuticals'" dreadful reputation is, IMO, oft-misguided. Maybe I'm biased because that's where my funding came from, but... Whilst it's true that production is cheaper in Canada and Europe, US still leads exploration and innovation.

This particular specimen of humanity is about as evolved as a cockroach. And I completely agree with part gypsy - he isn't the problem, he's just an opportunistic bug that crawled in the right direction; the healthcare system that allowed stupidity like this to become something citizens actually have to worry about - that's the problem!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, that's BS. There is no alternative to this drug, but the drug works perfectly fine, no call for developing alternative treatments. The upcharging is simply to make as much profit before it goes generic. He admitted as such when pressed.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If true this is some very good news.
I'll bet that slimebag money-grubber is pissed. :lol:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/san-diego-company-slaps-pharma-bro-down-by-offering-same-cancer-drug-for-1-a-pill/

SNIP:
San Diego-based company announced on Thursday that it would compete with Martin Shkreli’s Turing Pharmaceuticals by offering the same drug used to help AIDS and cancer patients for $1 a pill, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

Imprimis Pharmaceuticals, a compounding-drug firm, said it would begin selling its own version of the generic drug pyrimethamine, which Turing was marketing under the name Daraprim. Shkreli was roundly criticized last month after his company raised the price for the drug from $13.50 a pill to $750 a pill after acquiring the patent.

lulu

Ideal_Rock

Bernie Sanders turned down his campaign contribution because of his price gouging. We need a single payer system.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hope this is true. From the article I read he put up various hurdles (the way the drug is distributed) to make it difficult for others to sell the drug (for example cannot be sold directly to consumers). So we'll see what happens.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock

A competitor has come fwd and will sell the same drug for $1/pill. http://time.com/4084455/aids-drung-martin-shkreli/

I wonder if this dirtbag owns Glumetza (type 2 diabetes medicine). Up through June, I was able to get a 90-day supply via my insur company for a $10 copay (and insur company paid the other $740). I went for a refill in Sept and my copay jumped to $1050 (and insur company would pay other $3950 for it). 90 pills!! My doctor switched me to something more affordable instead.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

My cat's prozac (yes, one of cats is on prozac) has tripled in cost in the last 12 months.

I do hope that the market self corrects for these meds ( I know it has for this douche). Not that I have any faith in that.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results